Poor Gunsmithing - Carbon Stock Modification Gone Bad

CCooper

WKR
I asked my gunsmith to install some flush cups on a mcmillan carbon stock and he warned against it. He said they chip easily and rarely turn out nice and clean on a retrofit. He would have no part of crap leaving his shop. I appreciated this, as he knows I'm finicky about my rifles.

Rob5589

WKR
Glad to hear you're getting a new stock. Like said above, I'd bet it's tricky cutting a clean hole through cf. I've done several cups on my own fiberglass stocks and it takes patience and the correct tools to make it come out clean.

MojoTX

Lil-Rokslider
I feel your pain. I had a very similar experience at a LGS when trying to install an arca on my barrett fieldcraft. They offered to replace the stock, but I was having trouble finding one that would fit the fieldcraft action. Ended up just getting LGS to pay for the repair.

I was referred to Weaver Rifles by either McMillan or Manners (can't remember which). He did a hell of a job on the repair and the paint job. Customer service was top notch, price was reasonable, and he was able to complete the work and ship it back to me before an elk hunt I had planned. Everyone was happy. Picture attached

Attachments

• BFC.jpg
    BFC.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 68

parshal

WKR
I've installed a couple of these myself in Manners' EH1's. As some have stated above, it's real tough to drill without chipping. I put painters tape over the spot before drilling and that helps. Basically, there will always be a visible epoxy ring around the cup which is why it's best to repaint. But, it should have been blended in so there are no visible gaps and paint over the top would blend in.

There's no excuse, none, for the epoxy globs on the inside or the smear of epoxy on the side of the buttstock.

Jonoton

FNG
Awful work, but good on him for replacing the stock. I bet & hope he turns down similar jobs in the future.

I've cut holes in various carbon fiber and fiberglass aircraft structures, and there is some know-how to it. Not having a firm backing makes it more difficult.
My best results were using a thin wall brass or stainless tube with an abraded mouth. You want to be sawing a small cross section, rather than drilling a hole. As others have said, mask over the area as well. That, or dremel on through (messy!)

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Just sent him the $799 invoice for the new stock. Will see if it gets paid.

Update for everyone. After I had a chance to 'cool off' a bit over the weekend, I spoke with the gunsmith yesterday and expressed my disappointment. He immediately asked what it would take for me to be 'happy'. I said a new stock. He said he would write me a check for the new stock.

Currently waiting on an invoice from Peak 44. Hopefully the gunsmith follows through--but feeling a little better at this point. I will still be out the cost of the flush cups and the spartan gunsmith adapter--but I'm okay with that.

So now--can anyone with first hand experience recommend a gunsmith on this forum that is fully capable of installing flush cups into a Peak 44 carbon stock that will stand firm behind the quality of their work?

Thanks all.
Glad you got it resolved, that stock looks like you paid me to do it😂

madcalfe

WKR
if he doesn't pay for it id just touch up the epoxy around the flush cup and bipod adapter. wet sand it after with a emery cloth to make it all smooth and flush and repaint the stock.

gtriple

WKR
@trogers861 I've got an extra Spartan flush gunsmith adapter I'm not going to use. Shoot me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

I was considering installing them in my own Backcountry Ti stock but now I'm definitely not doing that!

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
@trogers861 I've got an extra Spartan flush gunsmith adapter I'm not going to use. Shoot me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

I was considering installing them in my own Backcountry Ti stock but now I'm definitely not doing that!
PM Sent