Poor Gunsmithing - Carbon Stock Modification Gone Bad

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Well I recently purchased a new Weatherby Backcountry Ti 2.0 in 6.5CM. I have flush cups on a few other rifles and really like not having anything protruding from the stock since I usually don't have my rifle on a sling (its on my pack). I also wanted to get the recess mount installed for my Javelin Bipod.

After many hours of research--I figured I was capable of doing the install myself, but the stress of screwing up the carbon stock on a $3000 rifle pushed me to a gunsmith. I reached out to a local smith in my area and he said he had installed dozens of these and had experience with carbon stocks.

Fast forward, I went and picked up my rifle yesterday. The flush cup install was nothing short of 'butchered'. The flush cups are sitting at different depths and angles, and there is epoxy residue smeared around. It just looks like shit. Time wasn't even taken to remove excess epoxy that was rubbing against the barrel. Obviously he didn't even tape off the stock. This is exactly what I was trying to avoid by not doing it myself and paying a competent gunsmith. In fact, I am an extremely handy contractor/carpenter and hindsight is I should have done this myself as I am 100% confident it would have turned out much better.

See below photos. When I went and picked up the rifle, the smith was very clear that he wasn't happy with the installation. But--he still charged me. I was honestly flabbergasted by the poor quality work--blown away. I didn't understand why after one hole was screwed up, he didn't call me and discuss versus going ahead and screwing up the other four holes.

In addition to the flush cups and javelin mount being all screwed up and having excess epoxy smeared places--it is apparent he didn't use the proper sized screw driver to remove the trigger plate and chipped my cerakote on the screw and also the surrounding orifice. Also ended up with a small rub mark on the cerakote on my barrel. Very minor items--things that will eventually happen with wear and tear anyways--but this rifle was brand new!

What would you guys do at this point? Can any gunsmiths out there chime in? I am strongly considering calling him up and letting him know how disappointed I am in the extremely poor quality of his work. I know if I was in his position, I would have stopped after one hole and I never would have charged for the sub-par work.

Yes, all of the inserts are functional--so its all cosmetic--so maybe I am over reacting.

Attachments

• IMG_0916.JPG
    IMG_0916.JPG
    194.9 KB · Views: 549
  • IMG_0915.JPG
    IMG_0915.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 526
  • IMG_0914.JPG
    IMG_0914.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_0913.JPG
    IMG_0913.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    190.4 KB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 548
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    217.6 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0909.JPG
    IMG_0909.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 542
  • IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 536

wyosteve

WKR
Wow, is all that comes to mind. No, I don't think you're overreacting. Not even apprentice quality work!

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I spoke with Peak 44 and a new stock is $850. I am going to speak to the gunsmith and further express my disappointment. I would be embarrassed if I were him.

I do know that if I were in his position, I would have offered to replace the stock, regardless of cost and I absolutely would not have charged for the work.

Just thinking that if he would have severely marred up someones barrel or action--he would have offered to replace it--why would a stock be any different?

amassi

WKR
I spoke with Peak 44 and a new stock is $850. I am going to speak to the gunsmith and further express my disappointment. I would be embarrassed if I were him.

I do know that if I were in his position, I would have offered to replace the stock, regardless of cost and I absolutely would not have charged for the work.

Just thinking that if he would have severely marred up someones barrel or action--he would have offered to replace it--why would a stock be any different?
I feel terrible that a butcher hacked up your stock.
Just so you and everyone reading knows- peak 44 does not reccomend drilling additional holes in the shell of the stock
e79126919f91c0e54b8788026c74843a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
I feel terrible that a butcher hacked up your stock.
Just so you and everyone reading knows- peak 44 does not reccomend drilling additional holes in the shell of the stock
e79126919f91c0e54b8788026c74843a.jpg

I did reach out to peak before having the work done. They said the flush cups shouldn't be a problem as there was enough 'meat' in those locations, but the javelin mount would be close to touching the barrel. Turns out that there was enough clearance for all--just poor execution. Totally understand why they advise people against it but was willing to give it a go anyways.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’d absolutely talk to him about it. He messed up your rifle. I’d have taken the action out of the stock before dropping it off but all the same any “gun smith” should have been able to take it apart without dinging it up.

Wrench

WKR
Chips happen and I would have explained that and set a contingency plan to fill and paint the areas affected by the chips. The process of installing the cups does make a perfect finish on a retro asking a lot.....but the inside looks like it would have sat in the mill for 5 minutes and been cleaned up at my place.

Cerakote chipping on screws can be hard to avoid depending on the preparation of the screws....but getting wild is simply careless.

Being able to say good enough too early is the bane of many "gunsmiths".

Man, those are rough. Poor execution for sure. Seems like he didn't have the proper tools to cut the carbin fiber cleanly.

Jethro

WKR
I don't even know what flush cups are or do. But I can recognize sloppy work when I see it. Sorry you're going through this on the new gun. I wouldn't have paid for that.

FlyGuy

WKR
Man, I’d be pissed off. It looks like he tried to ream out the bevel on those inserts with a damn pocket knife.

I had the exact same conversation with myself about these modifications for a javelin, and the exact same conversation with a local smith. “Oh, yeah, we’ve done dozens of those”. But something about his answer made me pause. He just sounded over confident. But I live in the heart of Whitetail land and this was 2-3 years ago when these bipods were pretty new. I just couldn’t imagine they’d ever had even One in their shop before. Anyway, I never got around to bringing in the rifle (CA Ridgeline) to have them drill and install. What happened to you is the nightmare scenario I was concerned about and my gut hurt for you when I saw those pictures.

In my case, I think I’ll ask them for photos of other installs they’ve done before proceeding. But now I think I’ll do it myself. I’ve got all the tools. I’ll probably practice by installing it on a 35 year old ruger Mark 7 composite stock first.

I’d definitely have a conversation with him if I were you. In the end, his choice may be that he fund you a new stock or the photos of his work go up on google reviews.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle

amassi

WKR
Man, I’d be pissed off. It looks like he tried to ream out the bevel on those inserts with a damn pocket knife.

I had the exact same conversation with myself about these modifications for a javelin, and the exact same conversation with a local smith. “Oh, yeah, we’ve done dozens of those”. But something about his answer made me pause. He just sounded over confident. But I live in the heart of Whitetail land and this was 2-3 years ago when these bipods were pretty new. I just couldn’t imagine they’d ever had even One in their shop before. Anyway, I never got around to bringing in the rifle (CA Ridgeline) to have them drill and install. What happened to you is the nightmare scenario I was concerned about and my gut hurt for you when I saw those pictures.

In my case, I think I’ll ask them for photos of other installs they’ve done before proceeding. But now I think I’ll do it myself. I’ve got all the tools. I’ll probably practice by installing it on a 35 year old ruger Mark 7 composite stock first.

I’d definitely have a conversation with him if I were you. In the end, his choice may be that he fund you a new stock or the photos of his work go up on google reviews.

“What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts were gone, man would die from a great loneliness of spirit.“

Chief Seattle
I practiced on a couple old plastic stocks and fiberglass stocks and the carbon stocks just cut different. Use a new sharp bit on the carbon and go slowly

OP
T

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
Update for everyone. After I had a chance to 'cool off' a bit over the weekend, I spoke with the gunsmith yesterday and expressed my disappointment. He immediately asked what it would take for me to be 'happy'. I said a new stock. He said he would write me a check for the new stock.

Currently waiting on an invoice from Peak 44. Hopefully the gunsmith follows through--but feeling a little better at this point. I will still be out the cost of the flush cups and the spartan gunsmith adapter--but I'm okay with that.

So now--can anyone with first hand experience recommend a gunsmith on this forum that is fully capable of installing flush cups into a Peak 44 carbon stock that will stand firm behind the quality of their work?

Thanks all.

sndmn11

WKR
Ship it to @Mountic Outdoors so Black Canyon Customs can work on it.

Update for everyone. After I had a chance to 'cool off' a bit over the weekend, I spoke with the gunsmith yesterday and expressed my disappointment. He immediately asked what it would take for me to be 'happy'. I said a new stock. He said he would write me a check for the new stock.

Currently waiting on an invoice from Peak 44. Hopefully the gunsmith follows through--but feeling a little better at this point. I will still be out the cost of the flush cups and the spartan gunsmith adapter--but I'm okay with that.

So now--can anyone with first hand experience recommend a gunsmith on this forum that is fully capable of installing flush cups into a Peak 44 carbon stock that will stand firm behind the quality of their work?

Thanks all.

Cjonesy

FNG
That totally sucks. I’d be pissed. I would talk to him for sure. If you did carpentry work that sloppy I’m sure someone would call you out in it. If nothing else than to make him aware that it’s not good enough and he needs to do better work.

Ugly work but good on him if he pays the piper on a brand new stock. I'm not sure I could make a guy do that but then again i'm an owner of some ugly custom rifles that work fine.