Pop-Up 38 or Metcalf

Tossing up between the pop up 38 and the Metcalf. Can the pop up frame be used on other packs? Most hunts are day hunts for me at the moment, but would like the option of a larger pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NB7

WKR
My son has a Pop-up 38 and I have a Metcalf. The weight difference is negligible so if you think you'll want the extra room in the future for more than just a day trip, go ahead and get the Metcalf. It squeezes down nicely for day use. If you're really trying to keep it smaller and for day trips only, maybe think about the Pop-up 28 instead.

I have a pop up 38 and had a Metcalf. Different levels of performance.

I think the Metcalf is the sweet spot of versatilty in MRs line up. Bulky, but works as a daypack. Can do 5 or more days easily. The frame is very capable and you can buyer smaller packs if you want to slim it down.

the pop up is a daypack that can haul on occasion. IMO if you are going to be carrying heavy load often, you should get a full size frame and pack. If, like me, you do a lot of day hunting, you will appreciate the way it handles a days worth of gear while remaining very compact Moving through brush. When I need to haul a heavy load, it works. Not as well as a full size frame, but it works. the pop up would be fine for a light overnight or even two if you packed right, but again, you wont like how it carries as much as a full size pack.

archp625

WKR
Tossing up between the pop up 38 and the Metcalf. Can the pop up frame be used on other packs? Most hunts are day hunts for me at the moment, but would like the option of a larger pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are wanting a pack that maybe down the road you want todo a multiple day hunt get the metcalf. I had a Pintler and to me that would be the smallest one would want to go even for a day pack.

I will say I ended up selling it sue to it being too small for me even in a say hunt situation.

After having a Metcalf and a PopUp 28, the two the Metcalf is the better choice on every level.