Pop up 38

I’ve got a pop-up 28 available if you’re interested. Feel free to text. 920-393-0946

I like the pack, I just don’t have a use for it. I used to pack into public, but bought my own property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Pop Up 28 and my wife has a Pop Up 28 Womens. They are excellent day packs that you can load haul when you kill something. I pick my Pop Up for day hunting/hiking every time. You absolutely need to buy the compression straps though as an add on. I have packed heavier loads with my Pop Up (>80lbs) because I had to. It is not designed for that. I would choose my Crew Cab every time for heavy loads. My wife prefers the Pop Up over her older Crew Cab, even when packing elk hind quarters. It just fits her better.
The suspension and frame on the Sawtooth/Pintlar can comfortably handle more weight than the Pop Up line.
I went with the 28 for a reason. I wanted a smaller, lighter day pack. I have a pack for heavy loads. That’s why I didn’t go with the 38. You want a pack to do everything, go with the Pintlar that is built to pack heavier.

We both carried around 80lbs and 100lbs respectively down about 1500 vert to the trail. It worked, I would not call it comfortable. We then off loaded a boned blade each and walked the rest of the several miles of trail. I would say comfortable would be up to around 60lbs. Like I said, you can do it, and we’ll do it again. But MR builds other packs to consistently pack heavier loads. I did an entire quartered mulie buck this year and a heavy elk load last year as well with the 28.

The 28 is nice. Easy to convert to load hauling. Tri pod fits perfect. The pop up handle can double as a good rest when shooting from a knee. Don’t think of it as a multi day spike out pack though.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know as I recently purchased a used 38. Think I screwed up and got the wrong size though. I have a 32” pant waist size and a 36-37 measured size. So on the upper end of s/m. Should I go with a m/l waist belt or would it be too big? S/m had about 1-2” left of extra webbing once cinched down. Went based off of MR recommendation to size down if in between sizes…. Torso length is 16-17” so I think the yoke may be ok or should I upgrade that to a m/l yoke as well?

Bought one and never use it. Always take a little more stuff than the 38 will hold. End up always using my Sawtooth 45.

Mine is S/M. 34in. Pant size. It fits me, even packing a pistol, but it wouldn’t much bigger.

If you have your pack, fill it with 45lbs and see how it feels. I would think you’d be able to adjust to your liking, ultimately your call though.

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
Good to know. Maybe I’m over thinking it. Would you happen to know what are the measurement difference between the different size waist belts? Is it just the straps that are longer or is the padding also longer in that it allows the padding to curve more around your waist? The s/m hip pads do not curve much towards the the front of the hips and stops on the side but maybe that’s how they are intended or designed? How does yours fit as far as that goes?

schmalzy

WKR
Got a pop up 28 with a large belt. I really like it and have packed out a few quartered deer with it, along with a lock on stand and sticks.

5’11, 175, wear 34 pants. Fits me well. It’s not my first choice for packing weight consistently but for the application of day pack you can then haul a quartered animal out I think it’s tough to beat, especially if you hunt with a portable stand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
My 13 year old son hauling 40# of meat in the 38, so maybe 50# total. He said it's WAY BETTER than the Eberlestock team elk pack he had been using.
IMG_20211231_115004.jpg

#publiclands

Lil-Rokslider
I have an emberlestock mainframe as well buy haven’t packed with it yet. Good info to know though. So sounds like 50 lbs is the comfortable carry limit and anything more than than it would be better to have a better packing frame. I mainly bought the pop up for a hunting pack and a first load pack put back to the truck to get the mainframe but sounds like the pop up will do just fine. What size pack did he go with and would he recommend sizing up or down? Thanks

I just spent 6 hours across a night and a morning trailing a wounded deer in some snowy country in PA. More thicket and briars tHan I would like. Hands and knees and a little belly crawling through some nasty stuff. My lightly loaded pop up 38 was as compact as I could hope. I would not have wanted to do that with a full size frame.

Bearfunk

FNG
I’ve had one for two years, and really want to love this pack, but it simply is too sloppy when lightly loaded, does not cinch down tight enough. It sags as well and simply runs out of adjustment to tighten. Frustrating as it flops around, and sags and keeps the wait low. However, once it’s loaded it’s fine, and carries a load very well.

thedutchtouch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had one for two years, and really want to love this pack, but it simply is too sloppy when lightly loaded, does not cinch down tight enough. It sags as well and simply runs out of adjustment to tighten. Frustrating as it flops around, and sags and keeps the wait low. However, once it’s loaded it’s fine, and carries a load very well.
You can solve a lot of the floppiness- by slightly re-routing the top straps, I like mine a lot but it does have it's issues (all bags do IMHO), however word on the street is that MR is redesigning the popup series for 2023...

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like an excellent day pack. How comfortable is the pop up 38 with weight.
Very. A buddy used his to pack out a massive elk hind quarter this year with no issues. It really is the perfect day bag that can also pack out some weight.

Bearfunk

FNG
You can solve a lot of the floppiness- by slightly re-routing the top straps, I like mine a lot but it does have it's issues (all bags do IMHO), however word on the street is that MR is redesigning the popup series for 2023...
I’ve tried at least versions of this”fix”, and while better still not right. Plus the strap over the front makes getting to the pockets that much more difficult. Like I said, I’ve tried to love it, and really do love the concept, just hate the way it is when lightly loaded. Love the way it packs meat. If it’s true they’re going to redesign it, that makes me both happy and sad, because I own an old version and will want a new one if the problems are fixed! Maybe they’ll offer retrofits…