Pop up blind for rifle white tail hunting advice

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Not nearly as cool as you back country hunters but I’m going to be doing some white tail hunting that is basically sitting in a blind until one pops out. I won’t have a permanent blind available this year and so I was thinking of getting a pop up blind but I’m completely clueless on what a good one is. I want 270 degree views and don’t really care about size that much since it’s just me. The other thing I’m not sure about is how to steady my rifle. Before when I’d hunt out of a wooden blind it was easy to rest against the windows but pop ups don’t seem to have that stability.

Any advice from you guys who are much more experienced than I am?

Primos 270 surroundview blind. I have the 360. But I’ll be adding a 270 too. One of the best pop up blinds, but double the cost of some Others. You can fit two people in it. I use rebar as tent stakes if going to be windy. Mine was in the bean field in Kansas a few years back. Dad couldn’t find it until daylight.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
Primos 270 surroundview blind. I have the 360. But I’ll be adding a 270 too. One of the best pop up blinds, but double the cost of some Others. You can fit two people in it. I use rebar as tent stakes if going to be windy. Mine was in the bean field in Kansas a few years back. Dad couldn’t find it until daylight.

Man, that looks like a pretty sweet setup to me. I don’t mind paying a little more for something that sure looks to be a lot better than the alternatives out there. So you don’t feel the need for anything sturdier to rest your gun in than those windows?

Man, that looks like a pretty sweet setup to me. I don’t mind paying a little more for something that sure looks to be a lot better than the alternatives out there. So you don’t feel the need for anything sturdier to rest your gun in than those windows?
Sorry. I have bog sticks with me. It’s stacks at 4 corners. Than has 4 points on the hub part you pull out that can also be staked down. So 8 placed that can be secured to the ground. It’s sold and the view you get is amazing compared to any other blind I have tried.

Post a picture of the buck you wax out.

Also it’s easy to pack up and move.

Get two fiberglass driveway markers and some castrating bands and it makes a good, lightweight, adjustable, yet inexpensive shooting rest. You can wrap it with duct tape to take away the reclectiveness.

I have an ameristep. A little less $$$ but I have hunted from a friends primos. If I were buying again I might have spent more For better quality.

whatever you buy, get inside it and practice your shooting stance. I found out too late that my bow only permitted an awkward kneel / sit on my feet shooting stance (I thought I could shoot from my stool). It cost me a nice shot on a fairly good buck.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
I have an ameristep. A little less $$$ but I have hunted from a friends primos. If I were buying again I might have spent more For better quality.

whatever you buy, get inside it and practice your shooting stance. I found out too late that my bow only permitted an awkward kneel / sit on my feet shooting stance (I thought I could shoot from my stool). It cost me a nice shot on a fairly good buck.
Definitely. Ordered the one posted above and got a swivel chair to go with it. I’ll have a tripod with hog saddle and I will be doing lots of practice from that position/in the blind.

Shraggs

WKR
If possible, set it up a week or more ahead of hunting.

I’ve seen hunters think a camo blind is invisible to deer. There not, it’s new and will catch attention. But if unattended for a spell without human it will quickly be accepted

recommend above are great, give thought to what’s black out and shooting openings and arrange yourself to be in the dark, still can get busted with seen movement.

I personally struggle with shooting sticks at the height of those windows and from a seated position, just not that stable. Sometimes I have a bucket upside down or a walk-a-stool and find I’m better if I rest gun on blind window and kneel and support my elbow on the stool or bucket.

you prolly know all this...!

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
If possible, set it up a week or more ahead of hunting.

I’ve seen hunters think a camo blind is invisible to deer. There not, it’s new and will catch attention. But if unattended for a spell without human it will quickly be accepted

recommend above are great, give thought to what’s black out and shooting openings and arrange yourself to be in the dark, still can get busted with seen movement.

I personally struggle with shooting sticks at the height of those windows and from a seated position, just not that stable. Sometimes I have a bucket upside down or a walk-a-stool and find I’m better if I rest gun on blind window and kneel and support my elbow on the stool or bucket.

you prolly know all this...!
Great tips, thanks! Definitely planning on setting it out beforehand, going to see what stakes come with it first to see if I need to upgrade (probably will) because I’d hate to get out there opening weekend and it be gone lol.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Herters blind that I got at Cabela's and it works great.

My dad bought an HME and it is awful to setup, the blind tangles on itself easily and doesn't have the mesh windows like other popup blinds.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
Not nearly as cool as you back country hunters but I’m going to be doing some white tail hunting that is basically sitting in a blind until one pops out.
It’s funny you say this because after a few backcountry hunts each year I just want to crawl into a blind and just relax haha.

I have the Jim Shocky shooting stick from primos and love it. Very easy to adjust shooting positions.

OP
S

skywalkr

Lil-Rokslider
The blind give you any luck?
Sure did, worked like a charm in fact. Funny enough I only started hunting during whitetail season but I hunt in the Texas hill country where axis are relatively common and ended up getting two axis bucks. Not the biggest antlers I’ve seen out there but body wise they sure are a lot bigger than the whitetails we have around these parts and my freezer is completely stocked.

I had a number of deer get really close to my blind, mostly does and young bucks and didn’t notice a thing. Using a tripod to use as a rest for my gun made it work great. I honestly can’t imagine building a blind out there after my experience.