Pope & Young Panel Judging/National Convention

September 2020 I shot a nice moose in ND with my bow, got it scored (183"), and submitted it to Pope & Young. I had to reach out to them back in October 2021 since I never heard anything from them. Long story short they needed more pics since there is some velvet on the antlers. In the conversation with them he told me it is possible/likely that this moose will go to panel judging. I won't know for sure until December 2022. I was about to bring the antlers back to the taxidermist the get the mount finished (with removable antlers). If I decided to get it mounted, I'd have to keep the skullplate intact. So I would have to put it in my shop, or remove a fricken wall to get it in the house. If it were to make the cut for panel judging, I would have to send it in, or it would not be added the record book. It seems like a pretty cool opportunity to get the moose recognized. I'm sure I will never have this opportunity again. But it is a hassle to wait/change mount and it may not end up going to judging.

Those who have been to the convention, is it a good time? Is it worth the covered wagon ride from North Dakota to Reno? I've been to some larger banquets/conventions that make the average joe wanna puke.

2020 Moose.jpg2020 Moose1.jpg

cnelk

WKR
I went to the PnY convention a couple years ago when it was in Omaha.
Definitely a worthwhile trip.

I know a guy that’s going to have his blacktail scored by the panel.
It should be the new #1 or #2

Don’t remove the antlers/get mounted until you get it scored. Then decide.

The banquets are a fine time. Lots of like minded Bowhunters there from all over.

Great to have a fine moose like you have! Congratulations! I’d get him paneled if called in to Reno. I’ve sent two to panel and glad I did. Fun to see them on display!

OP
ILoveBusch
Thanks for the info, I was leaning towards doing what was needed as it could be a cool experience. This was the first animal I have ever had officially scored and it has turned into a lot more than I expected.

I actually have to get with the original scorer and strip the velvet off the backside to get an "accurate" length/width of palm. according to P&Y if the tape touches velvet on a rack that is not mostly velvet, then the velvet must be removed to get the accurate score.

Makes for good stories in addition to the original hunting story which was wild in itself.

Trial153

WKR
A couple of things.

First. After the entry is excepted for the P&Y record book it's it in regardless, of if the the animal gets invited to be panel scored for the awards period. So once its in its in. Follow though with the pictures and correcting the application to have it excepted.

Secondly call up club and get a hold of records chairman and ask him specifically about the mounting issue. He will be able to answer definitively. I think I know the answer however I don't want to speculate.

Thirdly. If the animal does get invited to be scored and its at all possible ....send it and go to the convention, its a fantastic time and you will find yourself in the company of excellent like minded people, like Kirt said. It will be in Reno again and it great place to bring your wife or girlfriend. The club has an awesome shipping arrangement set up with bass pro/ cabelas to help you get your mount there. All you have to do is take drop it off and pick it up...they handle and pay for all the rest.

Lastly congrats on the fine moose and i hope you see you and it in reno in 2023

OP
ILoveBusch
First. After the entry is excepted for the P&Y record book it's it in regardless, of if the the animal gets invited to be panel scored for the awards period. So once its in its in. Follow though with the pictures and correcting the application to have it excepted.
I did get confirmation today that if the animal is selected for panel, but is not sent in, the it is removed from the record book. I guess this makes sense as the whole panel process is their way of "auditing" the scorers.

Trial153

WKR
I did get confirmation today that if the animal is selected for panel, but is not sent in, the it is removed from the record book. I guess this makes sense as the whole panel process is their way of "auditing" the scorers.

You sure he Didn’t happen to say removed from the awards? Because your not removed from the official records book. Once your in your in. That’s for sure. My buddy has a Shiras moose that was invited to be panel scored, he wouldn’t go though the hassle of sending it. And as such didn’t receive the award. However the bull is in the book, I seen it published. He also received his certificate. It hangs right next to the moose.

OP
ILoveBusch
You sure he Didn’t happen to say removed from the awards? Because your not removed from the official records book. Once your in your in. That’s for sure. My buddy has a Shiras moose that was invited to be panel scored, he wouldn’t go though the hassle of sending it. And as such didn’t receive the award. However the bull is in the book, I seen it published. He also received his certificate. It hangs right next to the moose.
I asked what happens if it gets selected and you decide not to send it in for panel. The response was "Then the entry is pulled from the record books unfortunately."

This could be a newer policy of theirs, I don't know.

Trial153

WKR
I asked what happens if it gets selected and you decide not to send it in for panel. The response was "Then the entry is pulled from the record books unfortunately."

This could be a newer policy of theirs, I don't know.

Maybe? I am going to explore it further. I have mountain goat that just past the 60 day drying period and need to have it scored. I will let you know what I find.

OP
ILoveBusch
Maybe? I am going to explore it further. I have mountain goat that just past the 60 day drying period and need to have it scored. I will let you know what I find.
Yeah let me know as I am curious. I fully intend to send my rack down if selected. The response I got was from the Director of Records.

Trial153

WKR
Yeah let me know as I am curious. I fully intend to send my rack down if selected. The response I got was from the Director of Records.

The guy that scores for me has been on numerous panel scores including the last one so maybe if there was changes he will know about it.

SDHNTR

WKR
The convention is worth the trip. It’s nothing like SCI or Sheep Show where things get out of hand with high rollers. P&Y is way more down to earth with guys who just love to bow hunt rather than collect trophies and show off their fat wallets. Go if you can. Also, Cabelas used to have a deal where if you could get your mount to them, they’d cover the freight cost to ship it to the convention.

The Stone ram I arrowed in 2016 was called in for panel measuring. I never sent it...it was at my taxidermist 6 hrs from home and I was in AZ hunting Coues deer. Didn't want my wife to have to deal with sending it across the Canada / US border, etc. It never was paneled and is in the P&Y record book.

Maybe it’s because your Shiras will potentially be a new #5 all time if the score of 183 holds at panel. They probably want the top 10 panel measured?

Google Pope and Young Shiras Moose top ten. You’ll see the present listings. You do not have to be a member to get that information nor a member to enter a critter that qualifies into the records program.

My Stone sheep referenced in the post above was NOT an all time top 10 candidate.

Heck of a Shiras! Congratulations!

OP
ILoveBusch
Yeah, Bass Pro/Cabelas still has the shipping deal, you build a crate and get it to them, they will take care of the rest.

I guess I don't know what their deal is with the panel. I asked the question directly to the director of records in an e-mail. I am more curious if there was a rule change or he was wrong. Either way it won't affect me.

This is a Canada Moose, so it would be over 100 in the book