Pork Belly for Sausage

kyoungs

FNG
Hello everyone,

I have been processing my own meat for a while. I enjoy making sausage both in casing or just ground. I generally use straight pork fat to mix with the game meat, but I was considering trying pork belly this year. Has anyone ever used pork belly before to make sausage or have thoughts if it would work well? Thanks for everyone’s help.

ahlgringo

WKR
It has more “meat” on it obviously, but…I have used it multiple times in place of back fat. Works great, can’t say I could tell a real difference in taste, texture, etc

I would say use whatever is cheaper/more readily available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
We use pork butts for sausage. Perfect lean to fat ratio, 70/30. Fry up a patty and there will be a little fat in the pan. Best thing is we wait to buy them on sales for $.99 a pound. They freeze well and the one bone inside amounts to only about a 2-3 ounce loss.

Tod osier

WKR
Hello everyone,

I have been processing my own meat for a while. I enjoy making sausage both in casing or just ground. I generally use straight pork fat to mix with the game meat, but I was considering trying pork belly this year. Has anyone ever used pork belly before to make sausage or have thoughts if it would work well? Thanks for everyone’s help.
Yes. You will need more than you are used to given the meat content. They are about 50 percent meat. I prefer belly for fresh sausages, since it does lighten the venison a bit and get the sausages closer to the traditional versions. I use 3 venison to 2 belly, which is less than traditional sausages, But is plenty of fat for me.

Azone

WKR
Works great. I’ve used it for various sausage recipes from time to time when I could not find pork fat in my area.

Pork belly here is expensive here, we like it but seldom eat it unless I can find it in the "used meat" section. Many use cheap fatty shoulder roasts for making sausage.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I use pork butts a lot, hard to beat when you can stock up in the summer for .87/lb

Also use beef fat from a local butcher on some which is a decent price usually. Can’t tell a difference really on the butts vs fat back other than price

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
I use pork butts a lot, hard to beat when you can stock up in the summer for .87/lb

Also use beef fat from a local butcher on some which is a decent price usually. Can’t tell a difference really on the butts vs fat back other than price
Same here. Wife and I did a blind taste test. Neither of us could tell if we used beef or pork fat in the burger. Our local store gives us fat for no cost, beef or pork. I just tell them it doesnt matter anymore. People get hung up on the fact pork fat looks better.

why wouldn't you just make bacon with the pork belly???

If I want to mix in pork meat and fat, I'll buy a front shoulder. I generally do 25% pork product 75% venison

I've used pork belly as a way to add fat to wild game sausage or burger. Expensive but it works great. I try to get the fattiest pork belly I can find.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I use pork butt for all sausages. It's a LOT cheaper than belly here. And besides, bellys are for making bacon.

Pork butts are less expensive here in SWFL than pork belly. I make pork sausage every year and pork butt is about right for a good premium sausage. If I add lean venison to I found it was too lean. I have to add too much pork butt to get the right amount of fat. I did like that for years but was never really satisfied with my game/ pork sausage. So these days I make sausage out of just pork and use my venison for straight ground, steaks , loin chops and stew/ braising meat. This is the great thing about having processing equipment. Experimenting and creating premium food for your own tastes and available resources. Best thing is you know whats in it.

labs17

FNG
Depending on what meat I am cutting makes my decision. Deer that isn't too gamey will get back fat, but if I am cutting some meat for sausage that isn't as nice, I will use either shoulder or belly. For some reason, even when properly chilled, belly is a little gummier in my grinder. Plus it is usually more expensive where I am than cheap butts.