Pork sausage for jerky????

280Ackley

WKR
I have a bunch of pork breakfast sausage and ground beef from a steer we butchered. Would it be work to mix them together with some cure and make jerky sticks in the smoker? Thinking it might be a decent jerk stick for my elk hunt. Any thoughts?

Whisky

WKR
Don't see why it wouldn't work, But I'd add some additional seasoning for the lbs of beef you put in.

Napperm4

WKR
I’d warn against it. Pork, especially sausage has a really high fat content. It makes it really difficult to dehydrate properly and I’d be worried about the fat turning in the field on me.

Life_Feeds_On_Life

Lil-Rokslider
I’d warn against it. Pork, especially sausage has a really high fat content. It makes it really difficult to dehydrate properly and I’d be worried about the fat turning in the field on me.
If it was thoroughly dried would it prevent spoiling or is the risk still there?

Napperm4

WKR
If it was thoroughly dried would it prevent spoiling or is the risk still there?

You’ll never be able to get all the fat out in the dehydrator / oven / smoker whatever your choice of weapon is.

I tried this once with my game sausage. I blend it 50/50 with pork. Normally I make jerky strips with lean cuts but I thought it would be great to have some meat sticks for the trail. They were horrible and despite being cured, got mouldy in a few days in the fridge

Azone

WKR
Full on dehydrated ground jerky strips or are you shooting for a shelf stable snack stick in a collagen casing?

87TT

WKR
The fat will get rancid if not refrigerated. You might get away with it for a short time in cold late season weather say close to freezing.