Porro Prism obsolete?

JAlvis

FNG
Are Porro Prism binoculars obsolete for hunters? Whats your thoughts?

I'm always impressed when using a Porro. Seems to offer more then I expect and always has me wondering what older or new porro is worth picking up.

TheGDog

WKR
I seem to recall learning that they are actually the most efficient. But since they require sort of this chicane to the path of the light, it inherently makes the binos a lil bulkier, but that also *can* translate into better visual stereoscopic 3D perception since you're gathering in image data from two points (usually) wider apart then your own eyes can be. (Though some more compact designs invert this so the objective ends are closer together, losing that benefit, IMO.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
The binocular market has chosen form over function and voted with their wallet that porros are obsolete.
But they have some advantages:
HabichtvsELvsNL.jpg

OP
JAlvis

JAlvis

FNG
I seem to recall learning that they are actually the most efficient. But since they require sort of this chicane to the path of the light, it inherently makes the binos a lil bulkier, but that also *can* translate into better visual stereoscopic 3D perception since you're gathering in image data from two points (usually) wider apart then your own eyes can be. (Though some more compact designs invert this so the objective ends are closer together, losing that benefit, IMO.
They have better light transmission and simpler to manufacture so better value optically dollar for dollar. Although less and less Porros are available in the USA.

Wonder who is still using them for hunting. Seems like there would be some good values to be had. Being one who prefers older designs and methods I'm intrigued

BBob

WKR
They have better light transmission and simpler to manufacture so better value optically dollar for dollar. Although less and less Porros are available in the USA.

Wonder who is still using them for hunting. Seems like there would be some good values to be had. Being one who prefers older designs and methods I'm intrigued
There are still plenty of Zeiss BGAT 15x60's (and still a few GAT's) I see still in service. They (BGAT) don't lack a whole lot comparing to current SLC 15's and people do very well with them.

OP
JAlvis

JAlvis

FNG
There are still plenty of Zeiss BGAT 15x60's (and still a few GAT's) I see still in service. They (BGAT) don't lack a whole lot comparing to current SLC 15's and people do very well with them.
I have a buddy of mine who still uses his. I'm tempted to find a pair for myself. Not sure what separates the BGAT from the GAT. Seems like lots of makers are offering higher powered options then back in the day.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Me 😁

In April I got some Polish Cold War binos for the heck of it, started learning about Porros and roofs, then found this place and turned into a binocular crackhead!
Spent the last trip bouncing between Steiner 8x30 Mil/Marines and Swaro 10x40 Habichts depending on where I was walking.

BBob

WKR
I have a buddy of mine who still uses his. I'm tempted to find a pair for myself. Not sure what separates the BGAT from the GAT. Seems like lots of makers are offering higher powered options then back in the day.
The B’s have more eye relief, improved coatings, etc… There’s a noticeable difference looking through them. I owned both over the years and still have a pair of B’s. I’ve seen it mentioned that the GAT’s have some better glass elements in them that the B’s didn’t have but I’ve never seen proof of that. The B’s are better regardless when comparing the two. The GAT (non B) are quickly identified by the hard plastic ocular. The B’s have std rubber eyecups that can be rolled down. Everyone I know rolled them down. That made for the full field of view while swiveling your head behind them while on a tripod.