Portable bench

Anyone using one of the portable shooting benches on the market with good results? Looking for a solid bench I can take out and shoot in the desert. Needs to be portable so I can throw it in the back of the SxS. Any recommendations?

cmahoney

WKR
All the ones I looked at were junk, too unstable. I made this one with galvanized pipe and plywood. The legs unscrew and packs up pretty easy.
c00cbc6cd206f911b2092458acceebd9.jpg

379192034ff3c0cfe4596a5b8a490015.jpg

ae5a4bd1a19275c54f8e0ba1ef90d9df.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
Nice! Three legs to handle uneven terrain.
im lazy. I sandbag the tailgate of my truck and shoot across it.
or lay prone.

rayporter

WKR
this guy get good reviews. but i would go with four legs not 3. make all four adjustable by threading a leg near the bottom for a 3/8 ths bolt and use a piece of pipe or conduit inside the leg.

you can make a lighter top if you use four legs, with three legs the top must be really thick and strong.

boom

WKR
I vote three legs. There’s a reason an orchard ladder is three legged. Just my very humble opinion.

rayporter

WKR
everybody gets to do it their way.

i have built 2 benches with 3 legs and they were not solid enough until i welded braces and tippled the top.

here are a couple 4 leg benches that are solid. you can sit on them or shoot to a thousand yds.

four legs work and i can make a lighter bench that still breaks down.
W5rsNY2.jpg

Nick1001

FNG
Anyone using one of the portable shooting benches on the market with good results? Looking for a solid bench I can take out and shoot in the desert. Needs to be portable so I can throw it in the back of the SxS. Any recommendations?
I think Caldwell is a reputed manufacturer of shooting benches. A portable shooting bench is a good option that presides the user’s expectation. It impressed us the right way. What we love the most is the build quality. It has a padded seat and tabletop made of molded plastic. The whole set up is held by the metal frame. The tabletop has wholes which can be used for handles. Also, there is enough space on the tabletop for extra ammunition. You can check the reviews online as well.

Last edited:

boom

WKR
everybody gets to do it their way.

i have built 2 benches with 3 legs and they were not solid enough until i welded braces and tippled the top.

here are a couple 4 leg benches that are solid. you can sit on them or shoot to a thousand yds.

four legs work and i can make a lighter bench that still breaks down.
W5rsNY2.jpg
Nice. If I lived there. Yea, four legs. That is flat!