Portable chargers

gexpro

WKR
I run a generic amazon special. battery pack with solar charger built into it. been on 7 day back country hunts and never had a dead battery on any of my devices.

archp625

WKR
I use a Goal Zero Flip 36. It works great for my iPhone. I did buy one of their lightning cords and it broke pretty fast. I just went to Target and got a short Apple cord and is good as new.

sd375

Lil-Rokslider
I use an Anker 20100. It handles an iPhone and a standalone GPS for a week no problem.

Dark Energy Poseidon here. Ive used it for a couple years on a ton of hunts/backpacking trips and its still not missing a beat. I can tell no difference in performance capabilities still.

I’ve had two ankers that back to back went dead on me in a short amount of time. I’m trying a Goal Zero Venture now. Seems good so far, and waterproof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been using Anker for a long time and they’ve held up great. This one is small and somewhat lightweight. It is my go to.

Anker PowerCore 10000 Portable Charger, One of The Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh Power Bank, Ultra-Compact Battery Pack, High-Speed Charging Technology Phone Charger for iPhone, Samsung and More. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bZVYEbGS5JPF8

jrnd

Lil-Rokslider
I have a bigger anker I bought from Amazon. A little heavy but has a lot of charges to it before it dies.

visage

Lil-Rokslider
Just ordered two of these:

This appears to be an older model but is on sale today for $12, about half of normal. No experience with ravpower personally but figured I couldn’t beat the deal given other folks good experience with them.

I’ve got two cheap ones that I picked up at Walmart about a year and a half ago cause I was gonna be on a 14 hour plane ride to the Middle East. I didn’t know anything about what I was looking for in terms of quality but I still have them and they still work good for me.

So I'm looking at a 10 day sheep hunt in Alaska and I'll have my iphone & and inReach (mini or Explorer - not sure which yet). Would I be better off going with 2 smaller units (10K mAh) or one bigger one? Also do any of the solar paneled units work? I was thinking I'd just leave it on top of the tent all day to finish off the charge while I was out doing my Sheep Hunt.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm looking at a 10 day sheep hunt in Alaska and I'll have my iphone & and inReach (mini or Explorer - not sure which yet). Would I be better off going with 2 smaller units (10K mAh) or one bigger one? Also do any of the solar paneled units work? I was thinking I'd just leave it on top of the tent all day to finish off the charge while I was out doing my Sheep Hunt.

Look at the Biolite solar 10 (got it from REI). I used it for 2 months last year and it worked amazing. I had tried a few other solar panels over the years and had given up for 2 years prior to buying this. I wasn’t disappointed at all. It would even charge on overcast days in AK.

Freestone

Lil-Rokslider
Have any of you guys ever used the Li Ion battery packs from your cordless power tools (Bosch, Milwaukee, Ridgid, DeWalt) and the USB adapters that go on those? I just bought one for my Bosch 18v battery pack, but I don't know enough about electricity to know whether this is a better option than my old walmart charging unit (which was good for maybe 2-3 full charges).

Anybody have any insight on how the Bosch 4.0 ah battery would stack up to the standard phone chargers?

Here are the details on the battery:

Attributes
A-h Capacity4.0
Battery ChemistryLithium Ion
Battery Voltage (V)18
Battery Watt Hours72.0Wh
Height1.85"
Length4.6"
Watts800.0
Weight1.1lb
Width3.0"
Includes(1) 18V CORE18V Lithium-Ion 4.0 Ah Compact Battery

And these are the specs on the usb adapter:

The Bosch GAA18 V-24N 18 V Portable Power Adapter helps users quickly power up their other most important tool – their cellphone – anywhere on the jobsite using an 18 V Bosch battery. The adapter works with all Bosch 18 V Li-ion batteries to deliver power to any 5V USB or 12V DC device(s), and it is capable of charging two devices simultaneously. It is designed to withstand jobsite conditions and keep charging. The output on this charger is 2.4 Amps, to get phones ready to use in a hurry. If users simultaneously charge two devices, each output is 1.2 Amps. The adapter has a port compatible with Bosch heated jackets, so users can power their jackets with 18 V Lithium-ion batteries to greatly increase the heating zones' runtime. It includes a metal belt clip for additional user convenience. It prevents overcharging by going into sleep mode after charging a device. The charger adapts to the device being charged, allowing for the optimal charging current to the device. It has a power on button to activate the charger for each charging session, and to begin powering the heated jacket.

Last edited:
Just hop on Amazon and get a slim charger with plenty of charging power that has good reviews and is on sale. They all work great. My partner has one he got for $15 on Amazon, its withstood a couple years of rain, being dropped on rocks, etc and performs the same way mine does that cost 3x as much.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been using Anker for a long time and they’ve held up great. This one is small and somewhat lightweight. It is my go to.

Anker PowerCore 10000 Portable Charger, One of The Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh Power Bank, Ultra-Compact Battery Pack, High-Speed Charging Technology Phone Charger for iPhone, Samsung and More. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0194WDVHI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bZVYEbGS5JPF8

This is the same one I use for longer trips (4-7 days)- can charge my iPhone multiple times and top of my inReach Mini a couple of times. I have a small one that I use for 2-3 day trips (Jackery Mini- 3350 mAh and 2.7 oz). For 7-10 days I'd carrying both.

My partner for our 12 day Sheep Trip, 2 days in and out and 10 day season, wants to get the RAVPower 25000 mAh solar. I was thinking of getting the 15k but might bump up in size.