Portable Power Bank Chargers

KGRoth

FNG
What portable chargers have you guys had luck with on backcountry adventures? I plan to use an iPhone with Onx as my main GPS, have a re-chargeable headlamp and Garmin watch that I will need to keep charged for 5-7 days. I have been looking at a Goal Zero Venture 70. If there are cheaper options out there that works just as well or better, I am all ears!

NebraskaStickHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have not had it out yet but I recently bought a 10,000 (not sure the unit) one from Napa for $20 so figured for the price should be worth a try. I also picked up a brunton one from BlackOvis. It was more expensive and lesser capacity

oldgoat

WKR
That's a lot of stuff to charge, you might want a solar panel charger or you're going to want a couple of whatever power packs you go with. I love my Dark Energy Poseidon, but I only charge my phone with it.

I use an anker brand. It’s a 10000 mh charger that will fully charge my phone 4 times from almost dead. Best perspective I e got us I can use it for 7 days Charging every night in mild weather. Cold, that brings it down to about 5.

I just got an Anker 10,000mh and have been testing it and it's working really nice. I think I'm gonna buy another and take two on my trip since I will be charging camera batteries as well.

Btaylor

WKR
I recently got the anker 20100 and have been using it around the house. Got 11 phone charges of between 40 and 75% out of it but that was at the house. It might get you close but with all you are charging and colder temps I would consider getting 2 or at least a 20100 and a 10000.

rayporter

WKR
just a dumb observation here.

back feeding through a 18650 charger is a possibility. 6 of the 18650 is 20,000 and 2 more would give you 27,00

at what point does it make more sense weight wise to used plain batteries?

Poser

WKR
I have an Anker as well. I’ve had it since 2015 when someone posted a smokin’ deal on then from Amazon. It was like $4 or something. Anyway, I still get 3.5 charges out of it.

For a 5-7 day hunt, the only thing needing charge should be the phone. Maybe the headlamp if you over use it. The watch will last 7 days. The head lamp should, unless you use it every night and then have an evening kill and long hike out.

I use all rechargeable gear. No spare batteries carried.
I carry the Ravpower bank pack- it's 16 ozs, and somewhere around 20,000mah.
The items I may charge are as follows:
droid phone, tipi lamp(it also has a solor charging system built in) , head lamp, Garmin watch, Garmin InReach, Bright LED in my kill kit for hanging over animal for night time processing

That's a lot of stuff right?
That's why I went with all rechargeable items. they all run off my power bank.

But on all my 5 dayers I have only had to charge my phone.
My watch was close one time. My head lamp got used on a night kill, as did my kill kit light, both held up just fine ( I hiked out that night, and came back to finish hauling in the day time).

Anker. Charging phone and camera batteries. Don't let get cold, sleep with phone and charger in sleeping bag, will last way longer. Also use phone in low battery mode, airplane mode, and in the dimmest screen display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

codym

WKR
This year I'm going to take two Anker 20100 banks and some goal zero nomad 13 solar panels. We go in on HB so weight isn't a big issue. I've never used the solar panels before. My plan is to leave a bank hooked up to the solar panels all day while I'm out hunting and charge my in reach and cell phone off the bank once I return to camp in the evening. I could be in for up to 14 days so I want to make sure I have enough juice for my devices. It maybe overkill.

This year I'm going to take two Anker 20100 banks and some goal zero nomad 13 solar panels. We go in on HB so weight isn't a big issue. I've never used the solar panels before. My plan is to leave a bank hooked up to the solar panels all day while I'm out hunting and charge my in reach and cell phone off the bank once I return to camp in the evening. I could be in for up to 14 days so I want to make sure I have enough juice for my devices. It maybe overkill.

holy moley…...you bringing a TV and micro wave
lol

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Dark Energy packs better than the Goal Zero packs I have. I feel like the flap to protect the USB ports is a good feature, and they have performed well for me. I've been using my original for 2 years and just bought a second for my 10 day AK hunt. A second DE pack weighs 9oz and my Nomad 7+ Goal Zero solar panel weighs almost twice that. With no guarantee of decent sun I figure it's better to have stored energy than to hope to re-charge anything.

I will charge a Steripen, Black Diamond Re-Volt headlamp, and my I phone with OnX maps in airplane mode. I'll also use my phone to read on if we get bad weather.

I have a bigger Anker pack and a couple of their 21 watt solar panels that work well for bigger needs like a base camp. I have had no trouble with that set up yet, but have heard that Anker batteries can be damaged by water or extended time exposed to damp air. Gritty Bowman podcasts talked about it one day I remember. Anyway if it's dry and you don't have to carry it on your back that set up is pretty slick. The dual mini USB inputs on the big Anker pack (26500 I think) let me plug in 2 panels at once and not get any reduction in efficiency like chaining the Goal Zero panels together. I like that set up for my UTV base camps, I can charge all me and my buddies gear every night with no problems.

I always take a spare 6" mini USB and I phone cord. Those little things are fragile and seem to like to screw up.

OP
K

KGRoth

FNG
Alright, I went with an Anker 26800. She's a brick. Heavy but not too large for the amount of power it holds. I plan to keep it in a plastic bag and store it in the sleeping bag during the night. I just started using it at home to test how many re-charges I can get in the house and am looking forward to testing out its durability and capabilities afield in a couple weeks! I plan to report back for the benefit of all but at this point, other than the weight of it, this seems like a great option for a relatively cheap price.

530Chukar

WKR
Alright, I went with an Anker 26800. She's a brick. Heavy but not too large for the amount of power it holds. I plan to keep it in a plastic bag and store it in the sleeping bag during the night. I just started using it at home to test how many re-charges I can get in the house and am looking forward to testing out its durability and capabilities afield in a couple weeks! I plan to report back for the benefit of all but at this point, other than the weight of it, this seems like a great option for a relatively cheap price.

I bought he same one last season for a weeklong hunt and it worked great. You can charge multiple items at once and should easily last you a week. I tested it at home and went almost two weeks only charging my iPhone when it hit 20-30%. Still going strong now. I like that it’s big enough you don’t have to worry about a solar charger and having to mess with that at camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I've had great luck with Ankers as well. 2 10Ks get me 10 solid days using a Samsung S7 in the backcountry all day.

I've got a 20,000 mAh battery pack juice pack or something like that I baught it at the local big box store and it last me an entire week charging my phone at night while I sleep.

I know that Anker is a big seller but Aron Snyder tested them and found that they couldn't hold a charge when they got cold.

My googling turned up Zendure as being reliable. My Zendure allows through charging. Which means that I can charge the Zendure and also two devices from the Zendure.

The Zendure has been cold tolerant for me. Been using it for two years now and take it everywhere.