Portable scales

mdkelley

FNG
anyone ever use one of the hanging/crane scales to take along on a hunt to weigh your bear in the field? I see a few for sale online with a 660lb max and they aren't very expensive but just wondering if they are junk, or if anyone has any experience with one or recommendations. Would prefer mechanical over digital.

EDIT: Just saw this one too - https://www.oldwillknottscales.com/weston-sportsmans-320.html

Last edited:
Looks heavy. I have a small digital one that goes to around 220 but by the time you get a lion pulled up on it the weight starts to go and it gives the weight while its still half on the ground. Ill try and check the brand. If your close to camp or a road I bet what you found would work fine though. I'm interested to see what other options are out there.
If you take a scale a 200 lb. lion or 500 lb. bear are going to be a lot harder to find lol.

Wrench

WKR
99% of people would be completely fine with a 200lb scale. The scale will break a lot of hearts and debunk a lot of internet stories....

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
yeah I figure my bear last year was 150 or so but no way to know. The biologist said it looked old based on tooth wear but I know it definitely was under 200lbs because I carried 3 quarters (one was shot up really bad), backstraps and hide/skull out in one backpack load. It was a heavy/full pack so luckily I didn't have to walk very far.

OP
M

mdkelley

FNG
Just thought of this - If I use a couple pullies and some rope and rig the scale up correctly it would essentially double the capacity of the scale. Doubt I will ever get a bear over 300lbs anyway but just convincing myself the 320# scale is more than adequate.