Portland Creek, Newfoundland

mgray

FNG
Did anyone hunt with Portland Creek Outfitters in Newfoundland this year? We're headed there in September and were just curious how everyone did. Any other reports from NL?

I was debating between Portland Creek Outfitters and Patey & Sons. I decided to book with Patey based upon a gut hunch. I really didn't have anything against Portland Creek. The only reason I went with Patey was a personal report that I received on another web forum. I have mixed reviews on the hunting. I do think that some things need to be changed quickly (IMO) to try and get some trophy quality. I was not pleased with it at all. In fact, my guide told me that the 8pt bull I shot was the best bull that we are going to see in this area. I was a little shocked at that. I think that the Ministry is making some changes right now to drastically reduce the non-resident tag allotment. Just be VERY clear with your guide about what your expectations are on a trophy. They are more concerned about stacking them up like cord wood then hunting hard for your trophy. At the end of the day, you are the one who pulls the trigger, just like I pulled the trigger on mine. You should have a great time though!!

Koon

FNG
Is Portland Creek Outfitters in the same area as Patey? We're looking at a 2022 hunt, and PCO is one of our finalists. Obviously, I'd like the cheapest outfitter and the biggest bulls, with great food and nice weather! lol
Effords is another one on the radar

Mgray, did you have a follow up to the hunt? I'd love to hear how it went

OP
M

mgray

FNG
Portland Creek is on the northern peninsula of the island. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than my self can weigh in, but from what we saw and heard, the population is on the decline. We ended up driving up with 8 guys in two trucks. We split into two camps. Both camps shot 3 bulls each. One of the guys who didn’t shoot passed up a few smaller bulls, the other never saw a moose. Four of the bulls we shot were smaller branch antlered and two were a little bigger with paddles. Nothing huge. We had a good hunt. Portland Creek Outfitters had nice camps with good food, we just didn’t see a lot of animals. I hunted all day, all week and saw two cows and shot a bull on the last day. If I were to go again I would look at someone more south on the main part of the island only because I believe there would be more animals. But as with any hunt, the guys on the next mountain over might be in all the action.

Make your guide understand you work hard for your money just like he does, and you ain't leaving that island without a moose, and it better have bone on its head. He got me a decent bull moose...and a decent Woodland Caribou.