Possible Bowhunting Ban

Carr5vols

WKR
Along way from some of you but if passed by one county look out...

Columbus, Muscogee County Latest To Try To Restrict Hunting
Ordinance would ban bowhunting on tracts less than 10 acres.
The city of Columbus recently discussed implementing a ban on bowhunting for deer in Columbus and Muscogee County on any tract of land that is less than 10 acres. The discussion came up for discussion on Feb. 9, and it's expected to come up for more discussion on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m.
The city of Columbus and Muscogee County is a unified government. This ordinance, if passed, would cover 217 square miles could adversely impact the property and hunting rights of thousands of people, both urban and rural. Under Georgia state law, local governments have no authority to regulate hunting—only DNR can do that. However, they can attempt to implement weapons-discharge ordinances.
Full Story: Comments by Columbus mayor and counci

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for sharing. It's these small issues that add up to change the culture of a country. Death by a thousand small cuts. I wonder if they'll be able to pass section 'a' (which basically was just common courtesy for shooting in urban areas), but drop section 'b' that dealt specifically with hunting.

I'm from there. I don't really see this passing. I'm kinda surprised it came up, but like stated above, I'm sure some Karen in Green Island found a dead deer in her backyard. On the other hand though, I'm sure some one wasn't being neighborly and giving their neighbors a head's up.

My mom has 2 acres that backs up to some home owner's association property with swamp up to it in her neighborhood. She has another neighbor's SIL hunt her backyard and kills every time he sits.

87TT

WKR
Typical instance of a solution looking for a problem. I like how the mayor thinks that the hunters can just go to a different county to hunt and not that it has been a problem.

Typical instance of a solution looking for a problem. I like how the mayor thinks that the hunters can just go to a different county to hunt and not that it has been a problem.
Yeah, he's a dickhead. It would affect several people I know, some of them doctors, lawyers, etc. I really think it will get shot down.

If they successfully secure this precedent it will appear nationwide. Do not underestimate the master craftsmen of AGENDA 21.

Attachments

• agenda21.jpg
    agenda21.jpg
    489.7 KB · Views: 183

Brendan

WKR
I read this elsewhere, here's the summary: guy had permission to hunt. Shot a deer, it went and died on the adjacent property. He went to ask permission to recover the deer (as he should have) and the owner being anti-hunting basically freaked out, and convinced a selectman to file the bill, or something along those lines.

WKR
Here in Elbert County Colorado, a majority conservative county. Pro ranching, pro hunting, pro America. Same thing happened last fall as far as a bowhunter having to recover a deer across a property line. The liberals are few but they are vocal Karens and a person gets sick of hearing it. I'd not bowhunt out here either just because recovering one will require crossing a fence and who knows where that will go.

Thanks for posting this. I live in Georgia and will definitely have to keep an eye on this. I have to say, this seems quite odd given the fact that in the metro Atlanta area you can hunt on small tracts and MANY deer are taken in that manner. It’s also strange since state law says you can retrieve game from another’s property without permission as long as you don’t carry a weapon on their property.

JakeL

FNG
I read this elsewhere, here's the summary: guy had permission to hunt. Shot a deer, it went and died on the adjacent property. He went to ask permission to recover the deer (as he should have) and the owner being anti-hunting basically freaked out, and convinced a selectman to file the bill, or something along those lines.
This sounds about right. And the hunter gets blamed for “wasting” the meat. With that being said I understand the landowners right to not allow someone on their property for any reason. But to put a ban on the entire hunting community is crazy.

WRM

WKR
This type thread is becoming more frequent. That alone should tell you something, regardless whether "this" one will pass (this time).

Even in dark blue MN, my buddy just got a tag to bowhunt in a park that's basically downtown st paul.. Crazy to think it'd pass in GA.