Possible Pack regret? stryker

I tried the cargo panel with assorted pockets way back in the day. Way more trouble than it was worth. I found a large bag (AMR) was less fussy and worked better than trying to make a panel and smaller pockets work out.

RJC

Lil-Rokslider
First and foremost- the floppiness annoyed the shit out of me until I added some more compression straps and played around with it. Secondly, I will not use mine as a multi day pack unless it's summertime scouting....If I only had one pack it would be a 44mag.

If I'm day hunting this is the pack I use though- you mentioned that it's maxed out with a kill kit, gamebags, emergency kit, puffy and softshell...What else do you need for a day hunt? If you need bibs, jacket, climber, saddle/sticks, tripod, etc you can put it in the grab-it. That's a pretty complete day-hunting kit IMO.

I ended up with the Stryker and camp bag when they came out. I added two large pockets onto the Stryker. Overall all it was a great day pack during nice weather. I did use it on a Caribou hunt and ended up selling it and got the reckoning with guide lid. I didn’t like needing to get dig through the camp bag to get warmer clothes out. I did take the reckoning out on a November deer and elk hunt and it seemed to fit my hunting style better. It is nice to have the big bag to stuff, but nice and easy to get stuff from the bottom with the center zip. I also like how tight it cinches up in day pack mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
So what opinions on reckoning vs hoodlum? They both look. Good options.
I think the biggest downside if i do switch bags wood be loosing the quickly accessable cargo shelf.

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Jxferg7

Lil-Rokslider
You got it for sale then, that’d fit my backcountry kit perfectly;)

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
You got it for sale then, that’d fit my backcountry kit perfectly;)
No. I think i might get a bigger bag , maybe reckoning more i look at it more i like design. Use both next deer season before i decide which i like better. Sell the other.

No. I think i might get a bigger bag , maybe reckoning more i look at it more i like design. Use both next deer season before i decide which i like better. Sell the other.

What color is your Stryker? If RG, I would be interested in buying.

So what opinions on reckoning vs hoodlum? They both look. Good options.
I think the biggest downside if i do switch bags wood be loosing the quickly accessable cargo shelf.

I have found that I like to run my meat in the main bag instead of on the shelf. If I have other big items I will strap to the outside.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I have found that I like to run my meat in the main bag instead of on the shelf. If I have other big items I will strap to the outside.

Yea that was the plan.
I i watched a few videos on using meat shelfs. It kinda looks like a pain.

Anyone got any pluses or negatives on reckoning oe hoodlum. Right now I'm leaning most towards reckoning

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the reckoning and really liked the center zip access and the compression strap system on it. One thing I didn’t care for was the open side pockets, they were certainly convenient for shoving something in but I would always end up with leaves/pine needles in them. Not a deal breaker but I wanted something just a little bit bigger for longer trips. When the hoodlum was released I grabbed one. Sold the reckoning to a buddy. Have used the hoodlum quite a bit. Only thing that would make it better IMO is a full length zipper like the reckoning.

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Can you all please show some setups and packing some game of reckoning and hoodlums?

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had the reckoning and really liked the center zip access and the compression strap system on it. One thing I didn’t care for was the open side pockets, they were certainly convenient for shoving something in but I would always end up with leaves/pine needles in them. Not a deal breaker but I wanted something just a little bit bigger for longer trips. When the hoodlum was released I grabbed one. Sold the reckoning to a buddy. Have used the hoodlum quite a bit. Only thing that would make it better IMO is a full length zipper like the reckoning.
Thanks for info. Greatly appreciated.
What do you think In early season and day pack when your only using little bit capacity?

WVTrooper

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for info. Greatly appreciated.
What do you think In early season and day pack when your only using little bit capacity?

Personally, based on what you've described, I think you'd be fine with the reckoning. Especially if you're looking to add to the system down the road i.e. pouches/organization. You might even be well served to get a guide lid/OGL before any belt pouches (if you don't already have some). I would think that due to your size, some cold weather gear would eat up the CI pretty quick. If you had a lid you could strap them under the lid on the outside of the bag for hiking in or what not and save the space for camp/meat on the way out. This would also give you a bit of organization for smaller items without getting into the main bag. I also don't utilize the meat shelf, as I'm a meat in the bag guy too, but I know its there if I need it so there's that as well.

Man, I'd just forego putting all that stuff in a camp bag, just sandwich it in. If you have enough compression straps it isn't going anywhere.

I just use a Seek outside frame and a merlin day pack (smaller bag than the stryker). I have no problem sandwiching an XOP hang-on stand, 4 or 5 hawk helium sticks, a saddle with tether and linemans rope, FL sanctuary bibs/parka, and big ass icebreaker boot jackets between the frame and merlin.

That said, the idea of camping if you're hunting less than 2 miles in just doesn't make sense to me at all.

It looks like there may be a larger bag option coming for the Stryker. Found this photo today.
3a4573c8a0d1f2697ca154a86d42b210.jpg

OP
GiantGreg

GiantGreg

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like there may be a larger bag option coming for the Stryker. Found this photo today.
3a4573c8a0d1f2697ca154a86d42b210.jpg

Interesting. Wonder how big that is?

I would say a 3-4k roll top and the whole cargo panel setup be great.

Last edited:
I tried the cargo panel with assorted pockets way back in the day. Way more trouble than it was worth. I found a large bag (AMR) was less fussy and worked better than trying to make a panel and smaller pockets work out.
I agree with you.

I have a few bags (Stryker, 357 Mag, and Reckoning) along with frames for the two pack bags.
The Stryker is really just a panel that's been expanded as a giant pocket. It's really only for day hunting and not much else.

If you are mindful of that, it's an idea pack for a day hunt. I sometimes use pockets, or a Sherman with the Stryker, but doing that never equals a bigger pack.

Modularity is nice since it let's you maximize what a pack can do for you, but eventually you have so much extra (straps & buckles) that it's better to go with a bigger pack.

The Stryker is a unique bag because it does allow for carrying awkward loads, but once you start adding pockets and other stuff it loses it's appeal.
As you pointed out, "fussy" is a good way to describe it.

I hear they might be coming out with a bigger version of the Stryker. I'm not sure if it would appeal to me as much as a less fussy bigger bag would.

The Stryker bag does tend to flop around a bit when there isn't anything being carried between the bag and the frame. I'm sure Kifaru did their homework with a bigger bag/Stryker though.