Possible Solo North Slope Hunt

Troutnut

FNG
I did most of my north slope hunts solo, although some of those were on the haul road. It really does depend on your individual skill set, and only you can judge that. However, it's not especially harder or more dangerous than solo backpack hunting elk or mule deer in the West... maybe less so, because you'll be in less steep country. Just be honest with yourself about the limitations of your skills and gear, careful of river crossings, careful of bears, careful of hypothermia, etc.

One of the bigger issues might be hiring a transporter who will take you out solo. It's definitely doable, but most outfits are putting at least 2 hunters into a camp. The reasons are 1) safety, 2) logistics and 3) money. I've done solo hunts but my pilot has known me for years and has no worries about dropping me in alone. He's also not the kind of pilot who is trying to maximize numbers by saturating his camps with hunters.

It's often under-discussed but you should have a firm talk with yourself and any family about the risks assumed. When you're alone up there, you have zero help available quickly if some type of emergency arises....and I'm not just talking about your emergencies. You need to be accepting of the fact you'll deal with anything that happens without the help of others....period. A pilot tells you to contact him if anything is required, but it might be days before he can respond. I've personally been there and know what that feels like,

Jon Boy

WKR
PM me cost details if you're looking for a partner. Small chance I could swing it if I get some work done

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

kaboku68

WKR
Mr. Dill said a lot of the right things. I can tell you that over the last 10 years I have hunted solo( I think I had a partner once and it wasn't good) and it was in a very much more dangerous area(Barnard Glacier-Wrangells and Tonsina Controlled Use Area-Walkin only-. You have to be willing to set expectations where you might not be as successful but with caribou I don't think that will happen. I would take a solar powered electric fence that was a step up from a regular UDap because predators can sense that you are alone. That being said, it is worth it. Although pack outs are harder. Make sure that you bring a four season tent, a tarp and a bivy for your sleeping bag.

Jackal7

Lil-Rokslider
MTC: I did a lot of solo hunts in my 20s when I lived in BC. I am a lot older now, and I am not sure I would do it again - especially in AK or northern BC. Last year in the Noatak area, two of us got out on time and the other two got tent bound for three days at the end due to a nasty September storm. Is that something you could hold up to for a week alone if needed? Bring two sat comms if you go solo. And slow down everything you do.