"Possibles" Pouch for Horse Trips?

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
Alright horse people, wanted to ask another newb question:

Whenever I go into the woods, I always have my "Possibles" pouch in my backpack. It's nothing fancy; just has all of the basic things or extras I would likely want/need when out and about. And that got me thinking about putting together a similar pouch, except geared towards my horse. So with that in mind, what are the basic things someone should always have kicking around in the saddle bags?

rayporter

WKR
in my horn bag or on my belt are;
a multi tool -in case you need to cut wire or saw through some rope.

a garmin inreach, on your belt in case you get thrown or horse falls.

a knife. [ it should have a leather punch on it]

hoof pick

banamine paste

hobbles

some leather or string to repair gear, such as reins. knowledge of how to repair.

duct tape and vet wrap already mentioned. kotex makes a great sub for gauze pads.

in addition to the horse stuff in my horn bag i carry a metal cup and fuel tabs for making coffee. water and pills and snacks and a cheap disposable rain jacket. the saddle bags are empty unless i expect rain.

i keep a small bottle of disinfectant in camp. a capful will make a pint of strong disinfectant. good for humans also.

shoeing tools in camp for long trips. a hammer and nails and half a rasp will do wonders in an emergency.

rayporter

WKR
personally i have had bad luck with the easy boots.
last week i reached home and lost a shoe monday and the farrier was due friday. i put a boot on and kept him in the round pen but it came off 3 times. how many sizes do you need to get one that works?

Cwsharer

FNG
Just one size closest to my horses feet , only good to get you back to the truck or camp without crippling my sissy footed mares lol.

I haven't had good luck with the easy boots staying on either. We have some of the renegade brand that are a much better design (they can be a fuzz too big and cinch down tight still). I think we have two sizes and they have fit everything we have owned.

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
I’ve been messing around with equicast on horses with really bad feet the past year, it works pretty amazing for the lame ones.

It will wear out fast in the mountains and may not stay on great without glue, but one roll may make a good substitute for ez boots when you loose a shoe in the hills. Plus it’s smaller, lighter and could use it for other uses as well in a pinch.

I also use this homemade tool to reduce the amount of shoeing stuff I need to tack one on.

Attachments

• B8E1CB62-15D9-42DE-9C83-821DFC1CA5D1.jpeg
    B8E1CB62-15D9-42DE-9C83-821DFC1CA5D1.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 23
OP
Y

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been messing around with equicast on horses with really bad feet the past year, it works pretty amazing for the lame ones.

It will wear out fast in the mountains and may not stay on great without glue, but one roll may make a good substitute for ez boots when you loose a shoe in the hills. Plus it’s smaller, lighter and could use it for other uses as well in a pinch.

I also use this homemade tool to reduce the amount of shoeing stuff I need to tack one on.

This is a dumb question, but what can you "do" with that contraption? (I like it, btw). My guess is that you can pull, hammer, and half-assed crimp?

Does it work okay for you? I might rig one of those up just because - I've got an old unused pair of channel locks laying around the shop that looks pretty good for that type of project...

Procision Arms

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Pull shoes, hammer nails, clinch nails. It’s much slower than having the real tools, but saves a lot of space and you can use it for non-horse stuff as well. Having pliers and a hammer is pretty convenient.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider

Have a shoeing client that made me some of those for my saddle bags. I like them, actually had to use them first time I took them out. One of my young mares doesn’t walk great in the rocks and threw a hind off and they definitely did the trick. They aren’t that slow, but I shoe 20-30 horses a week so I’m in shoeing shape.

In my saddle bags I’ve got:
Shoes
Nails
Same set of pliers above
First Aid kit
Iodine tablets for water
Waterproof Matches
Banamine
DMSO
Scarlet Oil wound spray
Vet Wrap
Electrical tape