Possibles Pouch

AZElk

FNG
I was wondering what everyone carries with them for when things don't go quite as planned. Weather it be a life threatening emergency or just an unexpected night in the woods I like to be prepared but not over prepared. I usually am only out for day hunts but I have stayed the night after putting an animal to bed. I'll preference this by saying that I have a Havalon knife in my pack and about 30 feet of 325lbs paracord.
What I carry:
Stormproof Matches
2 trioxane tablets
1 SOL personal bivvy
Emergency Med kit(not a big fan of bandaids)
3 Safety pins
Aquamira Purification Tabs
Flint and steel
Misc. Pill Bottle (Vitamin I, Tylenol, Benedryl, Immodium)
10 feet Gorilla Tape
1 SOL reflector blanket

I would greatly appreciate peoples input on what I have and maybe even a list of what you carry.

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
I generally have a waterproof fire stick in mine for additional help starting fires. Other than that I don't see a reason to pack extra weight, your list looks as if you are plenty prepared for an emergency.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

gelton

WKR
D Loop Cord
Tenacious Tape
Titan Stormpoof Matches - heavy but impressive, check em out on you tube
FireStarter Wetfire x 4
Bic Lighter wrapped in about 3ft of Gorilla Tape
Chapstick
Thermarest Patch Kit
Leatherman Skeletool w extra bits for bow
Hot Hands Handwarmers x 2
Sol Survival Blanket
Zip Ties x 2

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good list. Mine varies depending on what I'm doing. Even for a day hike I plan for an unexpected night out. all this fits in my pockets of my pants and jacket. Never without a jacket.
whistle
compass
map
headlamp
Knife (varies on activity)
30 ft. para cord
small first aid kit
pain and allergy meds
specific meds for me
fero rod
wet fire
small piece of fat wood
mini bic
tenacious tape
foil
sawyer mini with small bladder
beanie
bright colored poncho
cliff bar
small power bank for my phone.
should add a s.o.l. bivy
I don't rely on my phone but simply leaving it on it can leave a general trace of your direction even with minimal signal. I have downloaded maps so I wouldn't need signal. Can be a back up light too.
I don't do a fishing kit since I feel you're better of making a spear or trap.
Can't think of what needle and thread can do that tape and para cord couldn't do

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
For survival and bushcraft I would want something more stout than a havalon.
I was amazed this weekend in the forest at how unprepared some were. Granted this was very near a ski town but still in real mountains. So many people trail running with nothing more than a water bottle and a dog, wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Other than a city park I would never be with out a small day pack.

gelton

WKR
To be fair, I separate my possibles pouch from my first aid kit, from my electronics kit. For instance - I carry dynema cord instead of parachute cord but its not in my possibles pouch its in my kill kit. I also carry a New Trent battery pack for my cell phone but its in my electronics pouch (that has an extra headlamp and batteries in it). I do carry a havalon (that stays in my kill kit) but I always have my Benchmade Griptilian on me as well. Should probably add a little tin foil though.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
To be fair, I separate my possibles pouch from my first aid kit, from my electronics kit. For instance - I carry dynema cord instead of parachute cord but its not in my possibles pouch its in my kill kit. I also carry a New Trent battery pack for my cell phone but its in my electronics pouch (that has an extra headlamp and batteries in it). I do carry a havalon (that stays in my kill kit) but I always have my Benchmade Griptilian on me as well. Should probably add a little tin foil though.
Foil came in handy as we used it to mark the area where we hid our packs to make a quick summit. Too busy of an area to leave them in the open. Also worked great to mark our guy lines to not trip on them, even the moon light lit it up. Main reason I carry it is to make a small scoop for shallow water cuz those sawyer bladders suck without a fast stream.

OP
AZElk

AZElk

FNG
I am thinking about adding a MoraKniv into my kit or maybe a leatherman Wave. I do agree that a havalon isn't enough for a survival knife

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
hard to beat a morakniv for the money. I don't see them talked about much on here but very popular in bushcraft & survival. Certainly could field dress with it.

OP
AZElk

AZElk

FNG
Do you think that I should put it all in a waterproof bag or should I keep it in my Kifaru UL pullout?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a thread similar to yours that also touched on how to carry this stuff. Basically its all worthless if its not on you. If you never leave your pack it can be in there. I like to have basic stuff like map, compass, whistle, small first aid kit in my cargo pockets.

OP
AZElk

AZElk

FNG
Thank you very much for replying to my thread. Your inputs have helped me make a few changes to my pouch.

colonel00

WKR
I need to dig mine out as some others have asked this question as well. Mine's simple and provides the three essentials of shelter, water and fire along with my "backup" headlamp. These things are always in my pack and I don't ever dig into the pouch unless I have to or I'm tweaking at home.

Mylar Blanket, firestarter, small first aid kit, cordage, leukotape, extra batteries for my headlamp, butane lighter. I'm starting to carry a firesteel on me at all times. Benchmade Griptilian is also always on me.