Post a wild game recipe!

Does fresh elk backstrap (2 hours from standing) seared on a Walmart nonstick pan (forgot the good pan at home) with no seasoning (actually forgot the whole kitchen kit) with a side of Dalmore count as a recipe?
430bd8b0b50c2c06d3ab7a61b1e8ac65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

full front shoulder just seasoned with a bbq rub then smoked for 5 hours. Added pineapple with about 2 hours left to keep some moisture in. 475D9768-B6DB-4A2B-B236-F68C99DF3AAD.jpeg512B9008-6AAD-4CCC-9426-F645BDC3C79E.jpeg

Gobbler36

WKR
My family just ate some black bear veggie lasagna.
2lbs black bear that I made into spicy Italian sausage
Slice zucchini and squash to act as pasta
Layer the meat, ricotta cheese and pasta sauce 3 times and top with mozzarella I bake at 350 for 25 min then hit with broil mode to bubble up the cheese on top
My 3 boys and the wife gobble it up

Doghed

WKR
Pronghorn tacos in the discada.

Diced potatoes (regular or sweet) go into a medium hot disco with a little olive oil and butter.
When about half done add some diced yellow onion and minced garlic.

When the potatoes are just about finished, add the ground pronghorn. Brown and ready to serve.

Sauce is a queso fresco and sour cream (crema) with cilantro and lime and rooster sauce to taste. Or just the rooster sauce if you like.

I keep it simple with toppings. the choices are: diced radish, minced jalapeño, a finely chopped leafy green, some avocado or guacamole.

The corn tortillas are warmed and softened around the rim of the disco just as the meat is done and the heat is turned off.

Screen Shot 2020-01-17 at 2.26.33 PM.png

I would pair it with Negra Modelo in the summer or the oldest malt you have in the winter. For me its a 16 year old Lagavulin.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Does fresh elk backstrap (2 hours from standing) seared on a Walmart nonstick pan (forgot the good pan at home) with no seasoning (actually forgot the whole kitchen kit) with a side of Dalmore count as a recipe?
430bd8b0b50c2c06d3ab7a61b1e8ac65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was going to say, any backstrap cooked in a real, well seasoned frying pan with real butter. Maybe a little salt and pepper.

Didn't know you were supposed to cook it any other way.

Working close to home this week, so was able to run over and have lunch with the wife today...Italian moose sausage scramble, with leftover air-fried Alaskan spuds, eggs, cheese, shrooms, salsa, couple pieces of bacon for good measure, dollop of sour cream, half an avocado, toast and jelly...good fare on a cold day!

robtattoo

WKR
It looks a little anemic in the pic, but I just did this:
Elk loin steaks in a mushroom, cream sauce with brandy, served with steamed Savoy cabbage in garlic & black pepper butter. Utterly delectable with a glass of '19 Crimes' rum barrel-aged red.

20200117_180204.jpg

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
1/4 cup olive oil, 1/4 cup ketchup, soy sauce, fresh garlic, pepper, etc... to taste, marinate whatever for a couple hours or longer and grill it medium rare. Super easy to make and delicious. That's just the basics, I also add cilantro, ginger, green onions, whatever. I prefer a bit more tang so use more soy sauce.

Squamch

WKR
Cougar balls

1lb ground cougar
1 egg
Some chopped mushrooms
Some chopped onion
Some pepper
Some garlic powder

Baked 30 minutes at 400

Sauce is some ketchup, some homemade blackberry jam, and some Worcestershire sauce, low heat, until hot, stirred often.

I'm a big one for measuring carefully when I cook!

20191226-195136.jpg

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Wow, so deliocus. I want to cook Tacos but I need a good recipe please.
My wife and I love street style tacos, during butchering we dice any small chunks into stir fry or street taco sized pieces before it goes to the grind pile. So you can do that with pretty much any chunk of game meat or even a cheap roast from the grocery store. I discovered this after shooting a spring bear, not being a fan of roasts (primarily because I suck at cooking them..) and knowing the meat needed to be well done I diced the entire bear into street tacos. Best decision I ever made and I had taco meat for 2 yrs.

Freshly chopped yellow onion, cilantro, jalapeno, tomato, pico de gallo fresh grated cheese, sour cream, and salsa are great toppings.

1. Dice the meat down into about 1/4"-ish sized pieces, and put in a ziplock bag.
2. Add a tablespoon or so of Olive oil, and mix in the bag.
3. For a simple homemade taco seasoning, add paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, Johnny's or any regular seasoning salt, parsley, and cayenne pepper if you like spice. *I don't use measurements, I just hold the bag open and season an even layer of each across the top of the meat*
4. Mix well in the bag. Use a squirt of lime juice to help lube it up and add a little zing.
5. Put a dash of Olive oil in a pan and heat on HIGH. When the oil starts smoking, it's ready.
6. Toss the bag of meat in and stir rapidly for about a minute so all the meat is evenly browned and there are no hot spots in the pan. Let it cook and stir it every minute or so. If you prefer less cooked you can drain the liquid and cook for about another minute before pulling the pan from heat. If you don't mind more done (or are cooking something like bear), keep cooking and stirring until the liquid cooks off.
7. Pull from heat and continue stirring for a minute so nothing gets burnt.
8. Load your taco and enjoy!

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Here's a chunk off the hind quarter of a mule deer that I did mini prime rib style. I rubbed with Johnny's and garlic powder and then soaked in a fridge brine (little soy/teriyaki sauce for a base and squirt in whatever else looks good in the door of the fridge) for about 16hrs, then slow smoked for about 2hrs to 130* internal temp on the GMG, and brought inside for a reverse sear in the cast iron with olive oil and butter. Amazing.
received_206059958047777.jpeg
received_784140888927279.jpeg

LostArra

WKR
Regardless of cooking method (grill, smoking, skillet, or a combination like reverse sear) I leave my backstrap/loin in large pieces. It's easier to insure it comes out medium RARE.

Wife made some Thai meatballs last night from whitetail burger and they were outstanding. I'll find the recipe.

SpringTom

FNG
Braised cottontail rabbit..

Start with 1 Mojave National Preserve cottontail.

Chop bacon and render in a Dutch oven (preferably over open oak fire).

Brown rabbit pieces, then remove from pan.

Add preferred vegetables (potatoes, carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms, etc) to pan and brown in fat.

Add bacon and rabbit back to pan.

Add chicken bouillon and liquid to pan. (I used Tecate on this trip)

Cover and simmer for about 1.5-2 hours.

Enjoy!

This works better in a more appropriately sized dutch oven ( its all I had so it worked).

This is also so MUCH more satisfying if its your birthday trip, and you wanted to hunt and eat your own food (what I was doing).

Semper Fi,

Tom

20201215_142542.jpg20201215_163038.jpg20201215_164059.jpg20201215_195122.jpg

Sausage stuffed deer loin wrapped in bacon and marinated in a good apple cider, slow cooked in oven basting frequently, do one every year at christmas time it is the first thing gone.

Your favorite game roast, place in crock pot on low, sprinkle one package each of hidden valley ranch mix, and one pack of powdered au jus powder over roast, place a stick of real butter on top of roast, place lid on cooker and leave alone for at least 6-7 hours at that time place one can of sliced mushrooms and a cup or so of sour cream and if you whish a splash of red wine replace the lid and let go at least 45 mins. shread the roast in the juice serve over a good egg noodle, if you cn find them in your neck of the woods use kluski egg noodles, a loaf of crusty bread and a good quality beer. Meal fit for a king.