Post Covid and altitude adaptation?

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
This may be in wrong forum but thought it would apply to those planning to hunt higher altitudes for archery elk.

I got to thinking the other day, which is dangerous, but mostly I am simply curious. Will those that have had Covid, and possibly decreased oxygen capacity of the lungs, have an issue with high altitudes and lower oxygen levels? This would probably be directed more to those that live at or just above sea level and not those who are adapted to higher elevations but could apply to both in relation to Covid infection.

Any flatlanders been out to scout/hike post Covid and noticed a difference in cardio?

Thoughts?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I had Covid in March 2020 (caught it in Crested Butte) and was pretty sick, fever of 102-104 for 11 days. I live in Florida at sea level. Went to Telluride earlier this year and felt like a million bucks. Hoping I do as well this year on my elk hunt

I had covid the first two weeks of August. Will be in CO from FL in a couple of weeks. I've still got some minor chest congestion so I'm wondering what altitude will do. Going back to full cardio this week. My plan is to camp low and move slow. I'll report back.

I got the 'rona this past January. I go out west every year and have been training hard this summer as I was concerned about the effects. However, I feel better prepared than ever so we'll see in a few weeks!

I've had asthma for my whole life, I had Covid in March 2021. I also live at 8000' feet and hunt from 7000-10,500. I've noticed a difference in my breathing. I cannot catch my breath as easily as I could last season, I'm sucking wind at lower altitudes and easier climbs, and I just generally feel more out of shape.

I still can't smell and my breathing never got back to my 100% mark after being sick for about 3 weeks in March and April. That said, I can hunt, I can pack out, I can do just fine in the woods but I'm not completely healthy or back to my pre-Covid shape.

My 2 cents is you know your body. If you're not right at sea level you'll stuggle at altitude, and if you're fine at sea level I'd guess you'll struggle the same at altitude as you did pre-Covid. This thing just sucks, I don't care what anyone things personally, I think we all agree Covid sucks on so many levels.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with that assessment that if you have trouble at lower altitudes, you will have trouble up high.

I had Covid myself back in January but never had any breathing difficulties. Still don’t have any now, but it got me wondering for the folks that have had breathing trouble. I hope folks don’t try to go too hard and get themselves into medical trouble on the mountain…

GPool1842

WKR
The wife and I had corvid in Jan and never had breathing trouble. She still can’t taste or smell tho! We went backpacking last week in colorado and I got so sick between 11k and 12k that I was curled in a ball for 16 hours on the side of the mountain. Thank god for my wife. Not sure if corvid related or what, but I’ve been going to that area since I was born (30 years ago) and we make multiple backpacking and elk hunting trips at elevation every year And I have never had altitude effects like that.

Regardless, it scared me enough to get prescription meds for altitude before I head back next week, just in case.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
The wife and I had corvid in Jan and never had breathing trouble. She still can’t taste or smell tho! We went backpacking last week in colorado and I got so sick between 11k and 12k that I was curled in a ball for 16 hours on the side of the mountain. Thank god for my wife. Not sure if corvid related or what, but I’ve been going to that area since I was born (30 years ago) and we make multiple backpacking and elk hunting trips at elevation every year And I have never had altitude effects like that.

Regardless, it scared me enough to get prescription meds for altitude before I head back next week, just in case.
This is the kind of experience I’m curious about. Is it correlated or just coincidence?Who’s to say…

What appears to be no problem breathing at lower elevation turns into a problem on the mountain. An unsuspecting person who hasn’t had trouble might experience difficulties at altitude if they have lung “damage” from Covid. Especially with the new variants that seem to hit the respiratory system much harder…

Was in central CO for MZ season 9/10-9/20. Altitudes from 8500-11600 and averaged about 6-7 miles per day.

I had covid the first two weeks of August, probably an average case. Prior to leaving FL, i had some residual chest congestion and a persistent cough. The lower humidity helped alleviate the congestion and so I was able to take full breaths and not coughing as much. I totally felt the humidity jump when we hit Arkansas on the way home. As far as O2 issues, I felt like I got light headed easier this year than in years past but that might not be exclusive to covid - lack of fitness, trying to rush things, above 10K, etc.

Overall, the trip helped more than hurt.

I had Covid at the end of July. Hadn't been at any significant elevation since. Before the opening day of muzzleloader in Colorado I backpack in. Stayed low at 9000 feet. Everything was fine until I tried to go to bed. Felt like I couldn't catch my breath. I took some allergy medicine and felt better. Didn't struggle the rest of the four day trip. I had a very mild Covid from what I hear.

erle1139

FNG
One of our group members had the rona in August of last year...in the hospital with double lung pnuemonia. Two months later he made the 1st rifle season at 9k ft and didn't have any issues. And we all live at 13' above sea level

Jbxl20

WKR
I had it in April. I didn’t feel any different than the other guys I was with that never had it. We were @ 11,000

I got the 'rona this past January. I go out west every year and have been training hard this summer as I was concerned about the effects. However, I feel better prepared than ever so we'll see in a few weeks!
I felt really good this year, better this year (postcovid) than last year (precovid). I trained pretty hard over the summer and got out west a week early and worked remote which definitely helped but I'm relieved to objectively know that Covid didnt seem to impact me long term

My hunting partner had a mild bout with COVID earlier this year. We hunted CO first 10 days of Archery and he felt winded the whole time. Just bending over to lace up his boots he said was a struggle. So much so, that he has decided now he will not be returning for 2022. He is throwing in the towel. He is 64. It certainly affects each individual differently.

rklein

Lil-Rokslider
I was in banging shape leading up to my annual trip to Colorado. I caught the 'rona about a month from my trip, kicked my ass for 10 days but recovered pretty quickly compared to some and was running up until the morning I left. As usual I was a little sluggish the first day or so, but it didnt seem to impact me anymore than powering through the 20 hour drive and hiking from 10k feet higher than I live normally does. Stay hydrated and listen to your body. The one thing that did kick my ass was getting hydrated one day. It was very hot. 84 degrees at 12k'. I just didnt drink enough. As always, it is easier to stay in shape than get in shape.

As funny as this sounds, altitude sickness is a kidney issue, not a lung issue. I know many of you know this, some might not. It is about the acid/base relationship in your body and how the lower atmospheric oxygen changes the pH of your body chemistry and the way the kidney makes up for it. This is why a diuretic (diamox) works for many to treat the sickness.
As far as lung capacities go post covid, if you are doing fine at your home altitude working out and not having exercise tolerance issues, then you should be fine at altitude but with the typical altitude based lack of “breath” that comes from deceeased atmospheric oxygen concentration.
So the better question to ask is about decreased exercise tolerance post covid. The altitude should have little bearing on the exercise tolerance.

OP
W

WoodrowCall

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate the replies and insight. I just returned from 10 days at 10,000' and didn't have any issues myself.

Texasbuckeye, I did not have any breathing issues working out post-covid, so you may be right there.