Post Covid out west trip?

pbcarch

WKR
So last year my buddy and I went to Montana for the first time. Figured we give it a try vs Idaho....well with all the high Temps, smoke and extra people in the woods (pressure) it didn't go great.
So we went hiking with bows again.

This year we decided to take break and I have been kicking myself in the butt ever since . At 51 I ain't getting any younger. Now I see all these fires and some are close to where we have gone.

So how many of you are sitting out this year ? Wonder if this year will be worse with pressure than last year?

Perhaps those fires will lead to better hunting in the next years

Curious to read your thoughts

Paul

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Bighorner

WKR
I may be a bit of a pessimist, but there are fires every year, the parks set new attendance records every year, and draw rates by and large get tougher every year. I dont see the situation letting up in the short term. I would go when can.

specneeds

Lil-Rokslider
When they can’t wheel me out to a promising meadow or I lose my financial ability to feed the family I’ll skip an elk hunting season. I’m more of a rifle hunter than bow but elk hunting is typically my first priority for how to spend vacation time & play money. I’ve got 10 years on you & my biggest regret is I didn’t start until I lost my dad at 40. We were always going to go together & never did. Bring your kids, nephews, younger friends to help with the pack out & spread the love. Kick yourself or buy an over the counter tag & go.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Oh we have been going for the past 3 years straight. Coming from the east its a bit of prep but after you go once you know what to expect. I find the training and e scouting leading up to the trip motivating itself. The drive out is fun not so much drive back ;-)

We hunt a lot here in the east. I get out likec2-3 times a week. Whitetails here are like rabbits. Shot a real nice 10pnt this past season so I got my "lifetime" bucks for this area.

Do you guys ever take a year off going out west to restoke the fire?

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Sapcut

WKR
From the South and East as well and started traditional bowhunting elk in 2007. Been eight times in last 13 years. I plan to go every year until I can't. I am going solo opening weekend this year. I don't feel I can afford to not go if I can go.

Hunting will always be hard, expensive, and inconvenient. I realized this after putting things off for too long. At the end of the day, it’s worth it all and maybe the best way to spend time with friends and family.

Fatcamp

WKR
Got more and better tags than ever before. Can't wait. Last year was great too.

51 as well. If I drew no tags I would pick a great area and go explore.

Gapmaster

WKR
I missed a season about 10 or 15 years ago and my wife told me never again! She needs a break too. (she stays home). I would never miss a year unless I wasn't financially or physically fit to do so. My dad made it every year even after he couldn't pull his bow. He'd go and sit in camp and just enjoy where he was. Like Crowmangler said, Life is short.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
If the number applications stay as high as this year in the 22 application season we are looking at the new normal. That is a three year trend and mentalities are set. The interesting part will be the number of top end point holders that burn this year and don't re enter the draws.

My thoughts, get in on as much as you can afford!