Post hunt etiquette: Splitting/sharing meat

cnelk

WKR
When you say you don't rely on others - please expand. Do you only hunt solo?

IMO - there is no other hunting experience that defines teamwork like archery elk. If you called in the elk, stopped the elk for the shot, helped butcher 1/2 (or more) of the elk and pack 1/2 the elk out, then by god you deserve to take home some of that elk.

Now, if the only help was the pack out then I would agree with you. This has always been the rule in our camp and I guess since we are southern boys it's assumed that it would be shared.

Rarely is anyone with me when I kill something.

I helped so many guys kill elk and not once have I asked for any meat. They are the ones that made the shot.

This past September I took a younger hunter up to Alaska on his first moose hunt. He had the tag. I just called him in a bull and helped him pack it out. I was just along for the ride.

I expected nuthin. Didn’t ask for nuthin. That’s what friends do.

SWOHTR

WKR
Yeah I’m likely not sharing. Never done it that way, never had the expectation of being shared with. I go along because I want to and expect little to nothing from others.

I am more than happy to split costs, labor, chores, whatever. Just always thought that the extent of the meat sharing ends with what is consumed in camp.

I’ve also had plenty of instances where I have given someone something valuable, and they don’t appreciate it, or neglect it. My dad and I share these sentiments, and he’s about the only one I would consistently share with.

So, high hopes and low expectations.

OP
UtahJimmy

UtahJimmy

WKR
Interesting points of views shared here.

We did not discuss meat sharing before the trip as I've never felt the need to.

I've helped pack out a lot of elk and never asked or expected any meat. I do hope they can return the favor when I down an animal, but I don't expect it. I know others have lives and the times I hunt may not be convenient for others.

I was given some bear meat (rear quarter & ribs) this year after helping a buddy out on his hunt, so it got me thinking that sharing is a nice way to thank someone for joining in on the hunt.

I'll add some clarity to the initial situation:
1. One of the guys (non-tag holder) that went had never been hunting before. He has heard me talk about hunting and expressed an interest. I've had other people "express interest" so I told him in the Spring to get his hunter's safety. He actually did so I knew he was serious. So I brought him along and he had a great time. We did some stalks together, had a killer camp, and even did some distance shooting in which he had first round cold bore hits at 250, then 452, then 576. He was PUMPED! He also helped me field dress the antelope and cut up the heart for us all to enjoy.
2. The other non-tag holder is a new to me hunting partner. I helped him kill his first elk (well my wife had a tag that we were hunting and we met this dude on the mountain. I got them both on a herd but she let him shoot his first cow) in January after 5 years of no success. He's beyond grateful for that experience! He drove us in his company truck and expensed the gas/mileage for the whole trip.
3. The other tag-holder didn't get a shot opportunity and it was his first antelope hunt. On our last stalk of the trip he said "you get first shot, I'll try to get a follow-up on a second one if I can". That never materialized for him but he was so thankful for me putting the trip together that he wanted ME to have "success" over himself.

This was our first outing together and feels like it could easily become an annual trip (plus I've already done some fishing trips with them). All this to say I would like to share beyond just having them and their spouses over for a lope BBQ. I've got plenty of meat in the freezers so I'm not going to miss a few packages of antelope. Selfishly I would rather give them some elk meat from last year or this year over the delicious pronghorn!

Last edited:

Patton

Lil-Rokslider
Was in the same boat this season in regards to 4 antelope tags and only one harvest; our buddy is giving each of us some backstrap steaks and a roast; for the size of a pronghorn-I'm grateful.

grfox92

WKR
I think alot of these answers are fueled by the type of hunt.

If it's a group of guys traveling from Alabama to Colorado with 4 elk tags and a 10% chance of killing an elk, I could see splitting up some meat. As others have mentioned I liked the killer gets half the meat and the other half gets split up between the group.

Now if you live and hunt in elk country, and can go hunt every weekend like a Eastern whitetail guy......that animal belongs to you. If your buddy helps pack out, then that favor would be expected to be reciprocated if and when he shoots a bull. I would definetly give the guy some meat, but that shouldn't be expected.

I've been a part of dozens of whitetail recoveries back in NY. I was just there to help and celebrate with my friends. NEVER did I ever expect meat because I was there or showed up to help. But if a groups is traveling cross country I could see sharing the spoils with your buddies.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dirtbag

WKR
My buddies and I never split meat. It goes with the shooter. We all have known each other since kindergarten and are just as happy to be going hunting and hanging out as friends that we don't need an exchange of goods to justify going.

CJohnson

WKR
Best case scenario is discuss it beforehand. We travel from SC to hunt elk and usually only 2 of the 4 have tags. We all agree to split everything up. It feels like the right thing to do since having the extra people makes the whole trip work better.
Now, if I shoot a whitetail or help someone track, drag, and gut one - there’s no sharing involved.
It sounds like you were lucky enough to put a group of strangers together into a decent hunting camp. I’d say discuss it beforehand next time and do whatever you want to do with the antelope. If they are really good guys they won’t care either way.

Rich M

WKR
If you want to share the meat - share it. The guys probably just want enough to share with someone like parents or kids or something like that.

Did you make a deal about splitting the meat?

I always remember when my dad went hunting with some guys and shot a deer - another guy had it processed and gave my dad his share - we basically got a box of bones. Dad processed the deer and shared the meat after that.

Well, if four people give up their time and accept risk, four people receive equal harvest. There is one small bonus for the shooter, the trophy and both tenderloins (the shooters trophy), so don’t gut shoot em!

This goes sideways if only one man harvests. One animal goes four ways. Two animals go four ways. Of course participants have rights of refusal but shooters don’t get right of denial. Hunting and harvesting is about teamwork and cooperation. Our basic understanding of community involves reciprocal relationships. Anyone going into the field with me earns a fair stake of harvest and will also be respected for their presence and willful participation in the hunt.
Respect! Take care of your hunting brothers
That is a great and thoughtful answer. Thank you for sharing.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
This is the problem when people start monetizing meat. Obviously it has some value, but I've always considered it a happy bonus to an activity I'm doing just for fun.

I share meat all the time, and so do friends. No expectations, but some discussion before the seasons if someone really wants to take some home. Anyone who gets upset about not getting some meat is getting way too serious to be hunting with me.

Sharing in the hunt and the spoils was just the way my brothers, friends, and I were taught by our Dads. Opening day of pheasant season was Saturday, and our group of 11 shot 12 birds. At the end of the hunt, vests were emptied and birds laid in the bed of a pickup. Anybody who wanted a bird took a bird. We wouldn't have gotten any without everybody's effort. After everybody that wanted one took theirs, the remaining were split amongst the guys that wanted more. This is the way its always been. Same goes for rabbits and squirrels. I understand they're not big game, but the philosophy is the same.

My brother and I went on our first elk hunt in Sep. We both had tags and worked our a$$es off, and unfortunately he did not shoot an animal. However, before the hunt we discussed this potential outcome for all of about 5 seconds. It almost went without saying that if one of us got one we'd share the meat and procesing costs 50/50. After the hunt I kept the trophy, and we split everything else right down the middle including our travel costs.

twall13

WKR
This thread had caused me to reflect on how we've always done things and why. I think the responses will vary based on region, situation, and local traditions. I mostly hunt with family. Growing up my dad never cooked the meat he hunted and my mom wanted nothing to do with it. They didn't enjoy eating wild game. The meat was either donated or turned into jerky at the processor. Looking at it that way, the tag holder got the meat and had to figure out how to deal with it, almost like a negative side effect you put up with for being the lucky one who got to shoot. As I've matured and thought about my hunting ethics I've realized what a crappy way of doing things that was and the meat has become much more important to me. I've learned how to properly care for and cook wild game and honestly really enjoy it now. My brother and I hunt together more often than not and he has the same perspective as me now, but my dad and a few other relatives we hunt with on occasion still don't appreciate the meat like us. Regardless, I grew up with a process where the shooter gets the meat and that never really changed after I started to enjoy eating wild game regularly.

Now an example from this year. My brother and his brother in law both drew a limited entry rifle elk tag. That's nearly a once in a lifetime tag at this point in Utah and I told him I'm coming along to help however I can. He got a bull opening morning and I helped field dress it and pack it out that day (6 Miles one way). We made it back to camp late that night and got up and did it again the next day for his brother in law. It took a bit longer to get a bull down that morning but we got it done and started packing meat again. We finished packing well after dark that night. All in all it was over 40 Miles in 2 days, with a good chunk of that packing meat. I didn't expect any meat as compensation. For me, it was a heck of a reward just to be along for the ride. To be in elk that thick with bugling everywhere for a few days, planning stalks, etc. I had the time of my life! I wouldn't expect any further reward on top of the experience. I'll hopefully draw that tag myself in the next year or two and I know my brother will gladly swap places with me and pack meat with a smile on his face with no thought of receiving any meat as compensation.

All that said, my brother did leave me part of a backstrap to cook up for dinner the day he left to get the meat to the processor and I moved on to a general unit to hunt for myself. I didn't expect that of him but it was a nice gesture and I enjoyed the meal.

Now, in other situations we've split meat more equally. We occasionally go to Alaska fishing and everyone takes home an equal share of fish. Same thing with a South Dakota pheasant hunt, we split birds up equally regardless of who shot what. So I think it's somewhat situational and the main point, as others have said, is to make sure everyone is on the same page before you start hunting. If I was planning on splitting up meat it either needs to be done before it's processed or everyone needs to help pay for or participate in the processing as I don't think it's fair for the tag holder to pay for everything or do the work of processing and only end up with a smaller portion of the meat.

Even if I never got to pull the trigger or eat the meat from this point forward I'd still want to be along for the ride and help where I can for the joy of the experience. I find with that perspective in mind we all have fun and it typically evens out over the years anyway. It's not that I'm not willing to share, I guess I just don't think anyone should feel obligated or, on the other side, like they deserve something. Work it out how you want between your hunting party and hunt on!

To the OP, have a BBQ and share the meat that way and call it good. Not much else to go around with an antelope otherwise. That's my take anyway given the circumstances you described.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When the hunt was over, I gave him some gas money for part of the drive. He said it wasnt nearly enough to cover half, but it was well over half when you factor in total travel expenses with me flying alone an renting a car. We were originally supposed to fly and i had my ticket already.
Why did you give him money for his gas? Did he give you money for your plane ticket? I don't understand this at all.

svivian

WKR
I think a few on here hit the nail on the head. Those that travel across the country to go hunt as a group feel the need to split the meat among everyone to make if feel "worth it". Where as those of us who live here in elk country just enjoy being out there as much as possible and take any opportunity we get to go. Neither is right or wrong. I want to go hunting as much as I can, regardless who is pulling the trigger, as I get to learn more and experience the same rush. Going with buddies is just a way for me to extend my season.

Eyeman

FNG
It takes a long time to get those "true" Hunting buddies. Almost like being married sometimes.
When you do get them, everyone mostly knows what to expect from years of being together.
If the 2 guys that didn't have tags just wanted to go along for the "ride" on an Antelope Hunt and they helped out with expenses and such, then maybe the etiquette would be would you like a steak or 2?
If they drank beer all day then maybe not.
Hard call on an Antelope.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Scenario: you have a once-in-a lifetime moose tag. Your hunting partner bags out on you one week until the hunt starts. You call a guy you’ve only known online. He agrees to take time off of work to go. You get a moose in three days.

the guy doesn’t deserve some meat?

discuss.
I'd share.

Reactions: ODB

as.ks.ak

WKR
I didn’t sort through all the responses but I’d say my .02 is if you aren’t good enough friends to want to share with each other and for this to even be a question seems like a red flag to me...we all know what we need to get through the year as each of our situations are different...my go to move is simply asking, how much of this do you want?

Really, if it’s not something you guys can hash out when the time comes, are you really that good of buddies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: