post kill stinky arrow

I recovered an arrow from an Elk carcass last month, not my kill and probably a day old when I found it, it stinks pretty bad. Arrow seems undamaged and the broadhead is fine although I probably won't use it for anything but practice but my efforts to clean it have not helped, it continues to smell. From where the arrow was at it appears it was shot from behind and the BH was lodged under the front shoulder. They removed the front shoulders and rear hams, backstraps and tenderloins, and some neck meat. I would think carbon arrows would be impervious to taking on odors since they shouldn't be porous, or are they. I've read where guys save their arrows and reuse them to kill other animals but this thing smells bad enough I wouldn't want to have it in the quiver while hunting. Maybe it was because it passed through the gut and was in there for a day or so...

I'm pretty sure it was the bull I saw day after Thanksgiving and continued to try and find until just over a week later found this carcass.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I recovered an arrow from an Elk carcass last month, not my kill and probably a day old when I found it, it stinks pretty bad. Arrow seems undamaged and the broadhead is fine although I probably won't use it for anything but practice but my efforts to clean it have not helped, it continues to smell. From where the arrow was at it appears it was shot from behind and the BH was lodged under the front shoulder. They removed the front shoulders and rear hams, backstraps and tenderloins, and some neck meat. I would think carbon arrows would be impervious to taking on odors since they shouldn't be porous, or are they. I've read where guys save their arrows and reuse them to kill other animals but this thing smells bad enough I wouldn't want to have it in the quiver while hunting. Maybe it was because it passed through the gut and was in there for a day or so...

I'm pretty sure it was the bull I saw day after Thanksgiving and continued to try and find until just over a week later found this carcass.
Inside the shaft is probably still full of blood. I be more worried of the shaft splintering when I shot it than the smell

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

dkime

WKR
I always used peroxide on mine to clean them after but honestly just use water anymore. Maybe give it a rinse inside and out with some peroxide and see if it helps?

OFFHNTN

WKR
It's one arrow that probably won't fly anywhere near your others. I'd just throw it away rather than hassle with the smell and flight issues.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would want a random, used arrow from a carcass? Is it the same length, weight, and spine that you shoot? I can see taking the broadhead but I would trash the arrow.

I found a coat hanging in a tree with a pocket full of 30-06 rounds one time. It's still in that tree, bullets and all...

I found a coat hanging in a tree with a pocket full of 30-06 rounds one time. It's still in that tree, bullets and all...

This may be the funniest post I have read in a long time. lol I dont know why but it sure did make me laugh.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Pretty sure it was from going through the guts. I held onto an arrow for some time that was literally filled and caked with blood and it never stunk.

But I also had my bugle tube on my pack two years ago when I carried my bull out. Some blood and rut aroma soaked into the tube's cover. Every time I pull that tube out I smile......from the wonderful aroma of rutting bull. Not all smells are bad.

Beendare

WKR
I gut shot a wild hog with my recurve recently....you want to smell a stinky arrow OMG ....those feathers can hold that stink a lot worse than vanes.

OP
P
So you think blood got inside the arrow? 400 spine and 28 inches of carbon, will be good for a grouse arrow or something disposable. Same length as my arrows and will work with 2 of my bows. I certainly won't use or trust it for big game. Wearing nitrile gloves i washed it and felt nothing unusual and flexing it didn't reveal anything.

Another vote for blood Inside.

I would shoot it at a steel silloute or the arrow tree at the range if I was you. Doesn't sound worth the effort for a critter arrow.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
How would anything get inside?

I bet if you stripped the fletch, pulled the nok and tip..... and scrubbed that thing down with a Scotchbrite pad and dish soap you can get it clean. It doesn't take much gunk in the little nooks and crannies to make a stink

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
How would anything get inside?

On mine it was an arrow that was hanging out each side of the bull. The BH unscrewed and then the arrow finally worked itself out......and was full of blood from the insert end. When I pulled the nock, it literally poured out. I never cleaned the inside, just the outside and then shot my next bull with that arrow as well.

I've had a few arrows upon clean up, have blood inside. Not like 5miles arrow, but enough were it would stink if not rinsed out. How it gets in there? I dont know.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk