Post wildfire habitat

Fjryan

FNG
We have a big fire running through the GMUs that are local to me and I’m looking for info on how long it takes for deer habitat to recover enough for the animals to return. I imagine that there are a lot of factors but I’m trying to make a plan for this season and don’t know if I should just write off the burned areas.

Cheers!

hunterjmj

WKR
A few years ago the area I hunt (exact area) burnt in July and in November new growth was about 2-3" and saw more elk/deer I've seen. It'll definitely depend on how hot it burned.

OP
Fjryan

Fjryan

FNG
Yeah, I still can’t get in to see how bad it is burned. I know the animals love the new growth, I just don’t know how long it takes to show up.
Thanks!

WCB

WKR
Depending on area if it burns and you get good moisture quick it can be a couple weeks and the growth will be pretty solid. It may also depend on where those animals got pushed to...irrigated private land with no pressure they may not go back in any numbers....Just around the corner or over top the mountain good chance the wander back over.

OP
Fjryan

Fjryan

FNG
Could go either way, I guess. There’s a gland that isn’t too far away but it’s damn hot this year. There’s also some ridge lines in the other direction that haven’t burned but I don’t know what the food and water situation is in that area. Hopefully they’ll get this fire closed down and I can get back up there to check.
And hopefully we get some rain.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Depends on how hot the fire burns. A slow moving hot fire will scorch the earth and delay growth for years at times. A quick burning flash fire isn't nearly as hard on the soil.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Firestone

WKR
I've seen deer and elk back in a burn while there were still smokers. I would definitely not hesitate to check it out this fall. And for the years to come as well. I love hunting burns, not only because of the feed that comes back but because you can actually glass in the timber that was once un-glassable.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
They seem to love to roll around in the ash after a burn and before the new growth comes in. It's worth a venture during season to validate IMO.