Posted Ballistics for Factory Ammo

For folks that have a chronograph and compared the posted ballistic numbers with actual numbers, how much variance have you seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
A ton! Don't trust the box, check with a chrono or verify velocity with dope at the furthest distance you want to shoot.

brisket

Lil-Rokslider
An example:
Hornady 6.5 creedmoor 143 gr eldx says 2700.
My 22" creedmoor did 2580 2 weeks ago

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
An example:

In using these numbers and that bullet as an example... That’s a difference of about 6” at 500 yards depending on weather and elevation. At 700 yards your looking at a difference of over 15”.

Know your velocities!!!

WCB

WKR
Posted velocities are normally done with a industry test barrel...most calibers are 24" test barrels. Add or take away from that length and velocities will change. Also, individual guns can give you different results even with same barrel length.

If you are doing any long range shooting or building a chart. Either chrono and confirm or do a bunch of shooting to confirm.

In short they are just a guide line. As far as deviations that depends on manufacturer and even level of ammo. Cheap bulk ammo is probably loud more deviation than match ammo etc.

Axlrod

WKR
I don't shoot much factory ammo, but i bought some for my first 28 Nosler 4 or 5 years ago because new brass was unavailable.
The Nosler 175 AB Trophy grade is listed at 3025 FPS. They averaged right on 3025 FPS for 20 rounds. But for the most part there are prob. too many variables to see this as anything more than an outlier.

Sled

WKR
the box doesn't always say what length barrel the data came from. also same length barrels may be faster or slower. best way to know is to chrono. i was getting a couple hundred fps higher in my barrel than the box out of a 7mm mag 26"bbl. data on the box was for a 26"bbl, fwiw.

There can be a wide difference between what a load runs out of your rifle compared to what is on the box. Know the velocity out of YOUR rifle...use a chronograph.

tdhanses

WKR
An example:

Believe the box velocity is based on a 24” barrel but wow that is off. Hornady match 6.5cm 147eldm is rated at 2695 ft/s and out of my 20” barrel I get 2621 ft/s Which seems inline for a 24” tube with around a drop in 35ft/s per inch.

archp625

WKR
Depends on the rifle/ammo combination. I have had some combos that were really close and some not close at all.

Where are you located?

Last edited:
Posted velocities are normally done with a industry test barrel...most calibers are 24" test barrels. Add or take away from that length and velocities will change. Also, individual guns can give you different results even with same barrel length.
Chronograph it is the ONLY way to know what velocity a load is shooting out of your rifle. And as this poster stated individual guns can give different results, exact same rifles too!

We had 4 Remington Model 700 sniper rifles in 308 for duty use. They all had 24" barrels except one of them had a shorter 22" barrel. One of the team members had his own Sniper rifle which was a Savage heavy barrel rifle (308) with I think if I recall correctly, a 26" barrel.

Shooting the same lot of ammunition out of each rifle, you would think that the 22" barrel would have the lowest velocity reading, but it didn't. It was one of the 24" barreled Remington rifles. The 26" barreled Savage rifle also did not have the fastest velocity recordings either! It's been years since I chronographed these rifles when we were training, but if I remember correctly the difference between the fastest "barrel" and the "slowest" barrel was something over 240 fps!!! Even the 24" barreled Remington 700 varmint rifles in 308 had a lot of variation between the rifles. It was over 100 fps between them. I don't recall now what it was, but it was a lot!

Only way is to chronograph your individual rifle.

For folks that have a chronograph and compared the posted ballistic numbers with actual numbers, how much variance have you seen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is a great question, but the Chrono seems to just lead to more questions.
And always the same answer - you have to shoot your rifle to verify.

I can't help but wonder, If there is a discrepancy, is the Chrono a contributing variable?
If I have to shoot to verify, what did I need the Chrono for?

In my latest experience, a custom dial was ordered from Leupold using the specs from Federal factory ammo. It was found to be spot on from 200 - 600yds in verification shooting. It would be interesting to see if a Chrono speed matches the box info.

Reactions: WCB

WCB

WKR
This is a great question, but the Chrono seems to just lead to more questions.
And always the same answer - you have to shoot your rifle to verify.

I can't help but wonder, If there is a discrepancy, is the Chrono a contributing variable?
If I have to shoot to verify, what did I need the Chrono for?

I agree mostly....I always put an emphasis on verifying because you are also dealing with a BC that may not be truthful. Personally if you have access to a chrono I think it will help you get as close as possible and you can do it while zeroing your rifle so no big deal. If I didn't have easy access (which I don't) I use the box data to start out so I have an idea of where to start.

Chronos I think really help on say firearms with short barrels (say 20" and under). But, it is just a starting point. For reloading/handloading I think chronos really shine. But, again as you state you have to verify.

In the end a Chrono is not a necessity but if it is there take advantage.

Here is some data, do with it as you please!

Fired (12/29/19) from a 16" 1-7 twist, Noveske w/ 1-6x
Temp: 50F Wind: 8mph SW Humidity: 75% (no rain)

Winchester 50gr Ballistic Silvertip (G1 .267, length .810" advertised @ 3410fps)
3110, 3115, 3133 fps

Winchester 64gr Bonded Solid Base (G1 .230, length .787" advertised @2935fps)
2774, 2784, 2799 fps

Federal 64gr Bonded (certain its the same bullet, different powder/primer) (G1. 230, length .787" advertised @3050fps)
2900, 2923, 2932

Hornady Superformance 73gr ELDM (G1 .398, Length 1.046" advertised @ 2935fps)
2751, 2826, 2821

As you can see all were significantly slower than advertised with the Federal and Hornady being closest to "As advertised".

All 4 shot 1" or better 3rd groups at 100 yards. BOTH Win and Fed 64 shot the same POI. The Hornady was within an inch and the Win BST was 2" high (and 300+fps faster)

I've run the Hornady Superformance to 400 yards with my 1-6x BDC to learn my holds and it was very, VERY consistent. I was shocked at the deviation in velocity BUT it could be a fluke as even a small amount of that Hornady powder would cause some swings. More testing.

TERMINAL- The Hornady is the only one of the four that I have tried on game--The 73gr ELDM absolutely crushed my biggest free range buck ever about two weeks ago, left a fantastic, Stevie Wonder bloodtrail for 30 yards-- 200 yard shot (impact velocity around 2350fps and 875ft/lbs) I then smoked two small 75lb pigs on the way out both of which were headshot and DRT @ 25 yards.

The Federal 64gr BSB (a Nosler bullet BTW) is a law enforcement favorite and has favorable reviews and gel/barrier test results-- given the accuracy it provided and solid velocities I wouldn't hesitate to use it on deer or eating size pigs.