Posted lands that are not Private-recourse?

Haney

FNG
It happens all the time , sadly the burden is on the hunter to prove the land is wrongfully posted. That can be hard to prove without getting a land surveyor involved. When I was in the biz and we were setting pins many times adjacent landowners would dispute it...our rebuttal was always the same . Simply put, we would say "prove me wrong " .

Spoonbill

WKR
There is a neighborhood in the wood river valley (idaho) that did this on public land and roads. Fish and Game told them to take the signs down at a local meeting. Signs are still up because the neighborhood believes that “people shouldn’t big game hunt here.” Fish and Game said to call them and report the signs. Also Idaho has hunter harrassment laws, so if you are falsely reported, the other guy gets a ticket. But I would make the call to fish and game first.

EdP

WKR
It's not just a western thing, it happens here in Virginia too. A public road crosses a piece of property on a state or county ROW, but fence posts on either side are posted "private." Either side is truly private but the road is not. It only keeps out those that don't do their homework but you need to be right.

dtrkyman

WKR
Not saying onx is 100 percent reliable, I know a miss marked property for sure, but they get land ownership from the same place recommended in this thread.

The thing is, most public has been that way a long time, private changes hands but it is usually always private so only the name changes.

I called an guy in Wisconsin to discuss some tax land that gives the public rights to recreate, hunting included, they had a place on their site to check these lands but it was hard to navigate to say the least.

He told me If their site showed it he could back me up in court, but could not with onx. I told him they get their info from the same place and he agreed but still suck with his statement.

There are many roads in New Mexico where you will get to a gate that says private, but the road is public. I basically use any road that shows a name or number on the map, if it has nothing marked on the map it seems risky.