Potential 2022 MT Elk Hunt - Unit 700

Eyeman_1

FNG
If I am successful in drawing a bull tag for Unit 700 in MT next spring, I have an outfitter lined up whom I've spoken to numerous times and have friends referred me to. Being in the breaks out of Sand Springs, I've driven past that area and around Ft. Peck and really found the country to my liking.

As this would be my first elk hunt, and going with an outfitter, I've read as much as I can about that area, however, can anyone offer some advise about what to expect for a first timer regarding clothing, boots, gear, preparation etc..? I am a seasoned mid-western whitetail hunter but I haven't hunted out west since I was a kid in the early 80's with my dad when I was 16. And while I've spent that last few summers visiting friends in MT, I know there are many things I have not considered or don't know.

I am planning on taking a .270, although I do have larger .30 caliber rifles, I just don't enjoy the recoil of a 300wby, or a 338. Since this hunt would be almost a year out, I am already hiking around the home and forest preserves with a pack but want to be ready.

I'd appreciate any advise, suggestions and thoughts for a new guy.

Thanks.

I hunted that unit this year and it required lots of miles, many following in the footsteps of other hunters due to access points. I would suggest that you make sure you are prepared to walk long distances in a pair of quality boots.

OP
Eyeman_1

Eyeman_1

FNG
Thank you. The outfitter has @53K acres and BLM land access from there as well, so I was anticipating a good hike daily... but I really have enjoyed hiking in MT the last few summers in Glacier, The Bob and around Yellowstone.

hobbes

WKR
Are you familiar with the license and permitting process for nonresidents? Do you have any points built up, preference or bonus?

Last edited:

OpenCountry

Lil-Rokslider
Think of most of the breaks country as upside down mountains and as long as you’re prepared to hike back up and out of the hole you’ll have a great time. Get a good quality boot that is water proof as the weather can change drastically from the beginning of a hunt to the end. There’s a lot of cut up private/public boundaries in the unit, but your access to the private through the outfitter will increase your odds. Good luck in the draw!

hobbes

WKR
Yes I am familiar and have been working with the outfitter for the last few years acquiring points.
Okay, good. It's still really low draw odds for the permit, 10% in 2020. Your general license will be higher odds to draw. There is probably still a good chance that you'll draw the general license but not draw the permit (700-20) required to hunt bulls with a rifle in 700. Good luck.

Forest

WKR
It's the breaks, if you don't like the weather wait another day lol. Last year opening day it was 10-20 below zero, with a decent amount of snow on the ground. This year was darn near t-shirt weather the whole season. Pretty much the only thing for certain is the wind will blow. A good windbreaker jacket with multiple layers underneath sets a good baseline. Prepare for the cold and you'll be fine on the warm days. Full on rain gear isn't really necessary, if it's raining that hard you won't be getting around in the gumbo anyways.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
If I am successful in drawing a bull tag for Unit 700 in MT next spring, I have an outfitter lined up whom I've spoken to numerous times and have friends referred me to. Being in the breaks out of Sand Springs, I've driven past that area and around Ft. Peck and really found the country to my liking.

As this would be my first elk hunt, and going with an outfitter, I've read as much as I can about that area, however, can anyone offer some advise about what to expect for a first timer regarding clothing, boots, gear, preparation etc..? I am a seasoned mid-western whitetail hunter but I haven't hunted out west since I was a kid in the early 80's with my dad when I was 16. And while I've spent that last few summers visiting friends in MT, I know there are many things I have not considered or don't know.

I am planning on taking a .270, although I do have larger .30 caliber rifles, I just don't enjoy the recoil of a 300wby, or a 338. Since this hunt would be almost a year out, I am already hiking around the home and forest preserves with a pack but want to be ready.

I'd appreciate any advise, suggestions and thoughts for a new guy.

Thanks.
I'm going to archery hunt Unit 700 for elk & deer this year, draw results should come out this week to confirm, but I have enough points to pull it. I'll be up there the back end of Sept. and into October.

If you want to hit me up between when my season ends and when yours starts, I'm happy to help you with some fresh intel.

OP
Eyeman_1

Eyeman_1

FNG
Thank you. I will do that.... we should hear in a few weeks if we draw... been working on ammo and waiting for weather to get decent here to try the four loads I have to determine what the rifles like best... Good luck to you as well.

nnietfeld

FNG
I'm going to archery hunt Unit 700 for elk & deer this year, draw results should come out this week to confirm, but I have enough points to pull it. I'll be up there the back end of Sept. and into October.

If you want to hit me up between when my season ends and when yours starts, I'm happy to help you with some fresh intel.
Did you end up getting drawn? A buddy and i drew this tag and will be out there this year.

OP
Eyeman_1

Eyeman_1

FNG
I was not successful in drawing a tag this year... but we'll keep trying. Good luck to all those that did draw!