Potential first Western Big Game hunt where I have a tag. Wyoming pronghorn and possibly mule deer.

I am planning on applying for my first western big game hunt where I have a tag, after being a tag along with my Dad and youngest brother in a 2019 Idaho rifle mule deer hunt. Where my brother did get a 3x3 a couple miles back and 1400 vertical feet. I helped him pack it out, even though I only brought rubber boots for fishing and upland bird hunting.

I am thinking about going for Wyoming pronghorn and possibly mule deer (if my brother can get the days off to do a longer hunt). I currently have 3 points for both species and they have ZERO. I am aware that if we do party app we would go in as 1.5 points. I also might be able to apply for a couple units that would be close by their unit (whichever we choose) that might have a little easier access. But as many know that in Wyoming, the more points you have the more units with more public land and easier access you will get over any trophy potential consideration.

I am debating on whether to do a regular draw for both pronghorn and mule deer or just do a special draw for pronghorn for access potential. My biggest concern is the access of BLM, Walk In Areas, State Land. I know of the Access Yes program, but have never used it or done it before. From my research on GoHunt, and the Wyoming Hunt Planner there are about 20 units under the parameters of 0-3 points, and with 18% or more public land for an Oct rifle season hunt and 20%-100% draw odds. Those being: Areas 1, 2, 3, 8, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 30, 38, 43, 44, 70, 102, 103, 113. Any help or advice via PM, etc... would be appreciated. I would have started this much sooner, but wasn't sure if I was able to go and have some folks to go with (usually my youngest bro and Dad). My brother got a new job and wasn't sure, etc.... Sadly I don't have time to call biologists and other game officers before the draw, but after doing more research and getting proper questions I will after we hopefully draw, before really planning everything else out.

zacattack

WKR
Man you got a long row to hoe with only a few days left. From looking I think most of your options will have somewhat limited public land accessibility with 3 points. I have 4 so I’m only slightly better off than you are, but I know the units I can draw in aren’t all that great for public land access. Good luck.

BuzzH

WKR
I am planning on applying for my first western big game hunt where I have a tag, after being a tag along with my Dad and youngest brother in a 2019 Idaho rifle mule deer hunt. Where my brother did get a 3x3 a couple miles back and 1400 vertical feet. I helped him pack it out, even though I only brought rubber boots for fishing and upland bird hunting.

I am thinking about going for Wyoming pronghorn and possibly mule deer (if my brother can get the days off to do a longer hunt). I currently have 3 points for both species and they have ZERO. I am aware that if we do party app we would go in as 1.5 points. I also might be able to apply for a couple units that would be close by their unit (whichever we choose) that might have a little easier access. But as many know that in Wyoming, the more points you have the more units with more public land and easier access you will get over any trophy potential consideration.

I am debating on whether to do a regular draw for both pronghorn and mule deer or just do a special draw for pronghorn for access potential. My biggest concern is the access of BLM, Walk In Areas, State Land. I know of the Access Yes program, but have never used it or done it before. From my research on GoHunt, and the Wyoming Hunt Planner there are about 20 units under the parameters of 0-3 points, and with 18% or more public land for an Oct rifle season hunt and 20%-100% draw odds. Those being: Areas 1, 2, 3, 8, 16, 17, 18, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 30, 38, 43, 44, 70, 102, 103, 113. Any help or advice via PM, etc... would be appreciated. I would have started this much sooner, but wasn't sure if I was able to go and have some folks to go with (usually my youngest bro and Dad). My brother got a new job and wasn't sure, etc.... Sadly I don't have time to call biologists and other game officers before the draw, but after doing more research and getting proper questions I will after we hopefully draw, before really planning everything else out.
Some of those units are going to experience serious point creep as tags were slashed dramatically. There's at least 2 on your list that probably won't be below 3 points to draw.

I would look into the commission approved quotas before you believe gohunt or last years odds on the GF website.

EdP

WKR
Yes, what Buzz said. You can find the approved quotas for 2022 on the WG&F website. Any unit that has a significantly reduced quota from 2021 will be likely to have significantly reduced draw odds from those published for 2021. I would avoid those and pick another.

OP
ForrestGuy82
Thanks you three for sharing some great advice about my question. Being from the east definitely makes it difficult to figure this out especially the access issues. I will check out the tag quotas and definitely keep that in mind.

kparrott

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks you three for sharing some great advice about my question. Being from the east definitely makes it difficult to figure this out especially the access issues. I will check out the tag quotas and definitely keep that in mind.

Not trying to be rude, but it’s difficult because you’re trying to figure this out 2-3 days before the draw deadline.

I’m also from the east(Ohio) and have to trying to pick a unit for months. I’ve been trying to follow winter kill and precipitation, and I still feel kind of clueless. As Buzz mentioned, some units have had drastic tag cuts, some units have stayed the same, and some have increased.

Take all of that, wrap that into a bundle, sprinkle is point creep, the possibility of the 90/10 rule going into affect… this year could really be a crap shoot.

Personally, I think you’re going to be hard pressed to find a unit with so few points under this timeline. I’d wait a year and spend that time researching units, pronghorn numbers, population trends, etc. Once you have narrowed it down to a few units, start looking at access.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
The NE corner of the state has had a drought, bad winters, and possibly some kind of disease.

They also cut Antelope tags by sbout 8,000 this year.

You need to consider this stuff.

Also know the the 90/10 thing will be coming to deer antelope and elk in the next couple of years and a lot of folks are gonna get out of the game. Im doing that too.

All you can do is pick a unit and apply. Go, have fun.

Last edited:
OP
ForrestGuy82
Thanks everyone for your advice. Sadly I once again am not able to apply or go out west from West Virginia on the hunt that I have been wanting to do for 4 years. :( I don't have a lot of hunting buddies and my youngest brother who I went out west to Idaho (even though I didn't have a tag, and I am kicking myself in the butt for not getting a tag before the ridiculous Over the Internet Chaos started in 2020), he got a new job and even though he works 10 on and 5 off, he doesn't get paid vacation until Nov. 16th. I was literally heartbroken as I built myself up for going, including subscribing to multiple tag research services like GoHunt (been an Insider for 4 years), Eastman's TagHub, Huntin Fool/Top Rut via my Elite OnX membership, a $340 pair of Hanwag Alverstone II GTX boots, a day pack in the Eberlestock F7 Kite (was 40% off via a Spring Sale), etc....
I guess this gives me another year to save and really prepare for a hunt next year, and perhaps my other brother who's in the Marines can come along with my Dad and my youngest brother. Trying to stay positive and we might do an eastern state wild boar hunt as something different outside of local hunting for whitetail. I really want to arrow my first deer or either sex, I might even get a license for Ohio and or PA.

Pro953

WKR
You cannot go solo? I say grab a OTC tag and get hunting. I understand cost and schedules might make that difficult, but you only get so many hunting seasons in your life.

Best,
Phil

OP
ForrestGuy82
You cannot go solo? I say grab a OTC tag and get hunting. I understand cost and schedules might make that difficult, but you only get so many hunting seasons in your life.

Best,
Phil

It is a long drive for me to say Colorado or Wyoming or even South Dakota. I have never driven more than 3.5 hours by myself. Plus it isn't safe and my wife would be really worried if my car (I don't have a truck nor the money to rent one atm) broke down in the middle of nowhere. It is almost a given that a tire will pop or something will go wrong with a vehicle on a long trip.
Even though I can listen to tons of podcast on the drive out, I would be out of my mind bored driving that far by myself. I know that those are all excuses, but they are things one considers. Especially someone who has no experience outside of the one tag a long hunt where I rode in the back of the truck most of the trip to and from.
Yes I agree we only have so many seasons in our lives, and I am 39 so I am almost at the top of the hill starting to look down :(

jimh406

WKR
Since you have a car, how do you expect to get the meat back? Also, I think the paved roads are the least of your worries being solo in areas that you don't know with limited cell coverage. Maybe your wife should be worried ... maybe not.

Also, it can snow almost any time in Wyoming during hunting season. I think you need to figure some things out other than where to hunt. Just two cents ...

Laramie

WKR
Thanks everyone for your advice. Sadly I once again am not able to apply or go out west from West Virginia on the hunt that I have been wanting to do for 4 years. :( I don't have a lot of hunting buddies and my youngest brother who I went out west to Idaho (even though I didn't have a tag, and I am kicking myself in the butt for not getting a tag before the ridiculous Over the Internet Chaos started in 2020), he got a new job and even though he works 10 on and 5 off, he doesn't get paid vacation until Nov. 16th. I was literally heartbroken as I built myself up for going, including subscribing to multiple tag research services like GoHunt (been an Insider for 4 years), Eastman's TagHub, Huntin Fool/Top Rut via my Elite OnX membership, a $340 pair of Hanwag Alverstone II GTX boots, a day pack in the Eberlestock F7 Kite (was 40% off via a Spring Sale), etc....
I guess this gives me another year to save and really prepare for a hunt next year, and perhaps my other brother who's in the Marines can come along with my Dad and my youngest brother. Trying to stay positive and we might do an eastern state wild boar hunt as something different outside of local hunting for whitetail. I really want to arrow my first deer or either sex, I might even get a license for Ohio and or PA.
None of the hunting services can predict how many points you will need - none of them. Spend your time researching on the WG&F website. In my opinion theirs is one the easier ones to navigate to find draw odds from previous years. A good rule of thumb is to plan on an area requiring one point higher than it did the previous year. With 4 points next year, you should be looking at areas that required 3 this year.

You can absolutely do the hunt in a car as long as you are comfortable deboning and putting the meat in coolers in your back seat. Keep in mind the "gravel" roads in many areas of Wyoming get very bad with just a little moisture. You will have to hunt off pavement if your area gets rain or snow.

Guided antelope hunts are relatively inexpensive. Going it alone, you may consider flying in and letting an outfitter pick you up, take you hunting, and then delivering you back to the airport. If you can save $50/week, you could pull it off next year. Also, going the guided route would open up some tag options in private areas that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Good luck in the planning.

I've done a bunch of solo hunts. I live in Mi, you're right eventually something will happen but I'll figure it out when I get there. I have a Delorme inreach so if I get in trouble I can still get help. If you wait for someone to go with you, you'll probably never go on a hunt, cuz most guys will say they're gonna go in Janruary then by draw time, they're broke or have 10k reasons why they can't. Then we're on the way home with the animal you shot they'll tell you how they're gonna go next year. Go through the same thing with a couple buddies every year.

Kurts86

WKR
It’s one of those things where you just have to jump in feet first, make a bunch of mistakes and learn from them. Most importantly you can’t wait for someone else to do it for you. I’ve would have gone on half as many trips if I wasn’t willing to go solo and I never would have gone if I didn’t spearhead the planning on my first trip.

You can definitely hunt antelope from a car if you choose a unit wisely. If you are going on a DIY hunt you are likely going to quarter an antelope up before it leaves the field so a truck adds no value over any high clearance 4x4 vehicle.

You can always budget to pay for a rental truck/jeep next year if your current vehicle is iffy for a 3,000 mile round trip. Same thing with flying into Denver and renting a vehicle if you don’t want to drive solo for 3 days. Going solo on an antelope hunt it’s likely cheaper to fly than drive a rental across the country with $5/gallon fuel.

If you go on enough of these trips things will go wrong. I’ve been on almost 20 trips traveling to hunt the west and we have hit a deer with a truck, had a guys end up in the ER with a knife cut hand and an allergic reaction. It inevitably happens but most of those issues are foot notes in my memories. Somethings like mechanical condition of equipment ease these issues and some are unavoidable.

With an Inreach or similar satellite messenger you can save a lot of headache for yourself and your family on trips like this.

It’s honestly never been easier to plan a trip like this. There is so much information on western hunt planning and antelope hunting is an easy and relatively inexpensive way to go.

WCB

WKR
You will either find a way to do it or you will find a way not to....right now seems you are finding ways not to. How is taking a trip by yourself not safe? I've made easily 100+ "long distance" trips by myself anywhere from 4-5hrs to 16 hrs . August goat hunting in the Dakotas to end of Nov to Coyote hunting in January. Blizzards, floods, heat, fires all great memories even when at the time it was miserable. Bring the proper gear and a spare tire (or two) patch kit and compressor. Anything more major you are going to have to get help from someone. I've had lifters go out, fuel pumps go down, batteries take a sh!t on me, more flat/blown tires than I care to remember....it is part of it.

Taking a long trip by yourself may be one of the best things you do and trust me waiting for schedules to line up is a losing battle. If you haven't spent days by yourself in the middle of nowhere you are missing out.

Your first trip and long drive will always be your first trip and long drive.

I've had major failures blocks from home and on mountain roads states away. And uneventful trips.

Something can always happen, but you'll never know if it's a little inconvenient, or super amazing if you stay home.

OP
ForrestGuy82
None of the hunting services can predict how many points you will need - none of them. Spend your time researching on the WG&F website. In my opinion theirs is one the easier ones to navigate to find draw odds from previous years. A good rule of thumb is to plan on an area requiring one point higher than it did the previous year. With 4 points next year, you should be looking at areas that required 3 this year.

You can absolutely do the hunt in a car as long as you are comfortable deboning and putting the meat in coolers in your back seat. Keep in mind the "gravel" roads in many areas of Wyoming get very bad with just a little moisture. You will have to hunt off pavement if your area gets rain or snow.

Guided antelope hunts are relatively inexpensive. Going it alone, you may consider flying in and letting an outfitter pick you up, take you hunting, and then delivering you back to the airport. If you can save $50/week, you could pull it off next year. Also, going the guided route would open up some tag options in private areas that you wouldn't otherwise have.

Good luck in the planning.
Good point on the gravel roads, I have heard that too. That’s why I would like to have at least an AWD crossover with 8+ inches of ground clearance. However I have had multiple people share stories of them hunting pronghorn and mule deer 🦌 out of their cars 🚗. I just know from experience that I am more limited on which kind of roads that I can take in a car with 4-5 in of ground clearance.
I agree with you that the WG&F has the best hunt planner. Them and probably Colorado. Also yes all those sites can’t predict but they do show trends and give other advice and strategy articles. Those draw odds are from last year and with the amount of tag 🏷 cuts the odds will be different.

I have looked on the WTA emails that let me know what guided opportunities are available and the cost. I believe most pronghorn ones are $2500 to $5000 and sometimes they do deer 🦌 combos for a bit more.

OP
ForrestGuy82
I've done a bunch of solo hunts. I live in Mi, you're right eventually something will happen but I'll figure it out when I get there. I have a Delorme inreach so if I get in trouble I can still get help. If you wait for someone to go with you, you'll probably never go on a hunt, cuz most guys will say they're gonna go in Janruary then by draw time, they're broke or have 10k reasons why they can't. Then we're on the way home with the animal you shot they'll tell you how they're gonna go next year. Go through the same thing with a couple buddies every year.
That’s true, letting the fear of something happening will keep people from getting out and experiencing things that they want to. We just have to prepare for the basic or more common issues, like a flat tire 🛞 etc… and go.
I do plan on getting a Zoleo, it’s more in my price range and my cousins used them in Idaho. They worked well for them.

OP
ForrestGuy82
You will either find a way to do it or you will find a way not to....right now seems you are finding ways not to. How is taking a trip by yourself not safe? I've made easily 100+ "long distance" trips by myself anywhere from 4-5hrs to 16 hrs . August goat hunting in the Dakotas to end of Nov to Coyote hunting in January. Blizzards, floods, heat, fires all great memories even when at the time it was miserable. Bring the proper gear and a spare tire (or two) patch kit and compressor. Anything more major you are going to have to get help from someone. I've had lifters go out, fuel pumps go down, batteries take a sh!t on me, more flat/blown tires than I care to remember....it is part of it.

Taking a long trip by yourself may be one of the best things you do and trust me waiting for schedules to line up is a losing battle. If you haven't spent days by yourself in the middle of nowhere you are missing out.
Wow 😮 you have been through a lot and keep going back out for more. But you have learned to more prepared for such things and not let that stop you.
I agree with you on waiting for the stars ⭐️ to align with everyone in your group. People like myself miss out on a lot.