Potential move to Alaska

OP you move yet?

My fiancée and myself have been talking about moving up there for several years and it’s time to do it. We originally wanted to load up my truck and pull a trailer up there but as of now going through Canada isn’t really an option. Been applying for jobs up there on the peninsula but it’s tough getting anybodys attention with being from the lower 48.

Catchfish

WKR
You can drive up, just have to have some proof on why you are driving up, or be vaccinated.
Coworkers just drove up new vehicle, trailer and rv, they had proof they were getting home.
Another friend had paperwork that they had a new job here and had to report.
If you have proof of a residence/ rental agreement it should not be a problem.
Good luck Summer building season is here so any skilled or semi skilled tradesman should be able to find some work.

You need to figure out what things and activities are most important to you. Of the 4 locations that are available to you, they all have very good, well established accommodations like restaurants, big box stores, sporting good stores, etc., but not all have good/easy access to everything in regards to outdoor activities. My personal opinion (and I'm sure it's bias because I live here), is you can't beat Anchorage or the valley (Wasilla/Palmer). The mountains around this area are absolutely beautiful, there's tons of outdoor stuff to do, like hiking, backpacking, camping, Alpine and Nordic skiing (I think Anchorage has the most groomed/lighted cross country ski trails in the world), fishing, hunting, ice climbing, and the list goes on and on. For sure, the best salmon fishing is down in the Soldotna area, but that's only a 3-4 hour drive from Anchorage or the valley. Anchorage and the valley are very centrally located, with pretty much the best of everything being either, right in the area or a pretty short drive away. Again, this is for the 4 places that you listed that are available to you for employment. The price of housing is cheaper in the valley (you get more for your $$), but a lot of folks in the valley work in Anchorage, and the commute can be a bit of a buzz kill. If you're commuting during rush hour and there's a fatality on the hwy, there's a good chance that you won't get home for several hours because there's only one way in and out, and they usually close the hwy for 4-5, and even 6 hours ,in the event of a fatality. Anyway, that's my take on it. Good luck if you do decide to make the move up.

You can drive up, just have to have some proof on why you are driving up, or be vaccinated.
Coworkers just drove up new vehicle, trailer and rv, they had proof they were getting home.
Another friend had paperwork that they had a new job here and had to report.
If you have proof of a residence/ rental agreement it should not be a problem.
Good luck Summer building season is here so any skilled or semi skilled tradesman should be able to find some work.
Thanks for that that’s good to know I’ll definitely look into this more as we had really planned on driving but neither of us are willing to get the shot just to drive when we can just pay to put our vehicles on a barge and fly up. My fiancée starts her job in July up there and I’m still looking.

307idaho

FNG
You’re young, go for it. Worst that’s will happen is you don’t like it and you’ll move back. Heck of an adventure

Catchfish

WKR
Yeah she will have proof of employment so she should not have any problem driving through, will need to have a negative test last time I checked.

OP
R

rruchti

FNG
OP you move yet?

My fiancée and myself have been talking about moving up there for several years and it’s time to do it. We originally wanted to load up my truck and pull a trailer up there but as of now going through Canada isn’t really an option. Been applying for jobs up there on the peninsula but it’s tough getting anybodys attention with being from the lower 48.
I have not moved yet. Waiting for the right opportunity. I am interviewing for a position within my company up there in a week. It would be a good promotion. Fingers crossed! I applied to some jobs before I was hired with my current company and I agree I didn't get much interest.

I have not moved yet. Waiting for the right opportunity. I am interviewing for a position within my company up there in a week. It would be a good promotion. Fingers crossed! I applied to some jobs before I was hired with my current company and I agree I didn't get much interest.
Good luck! Hopefully it all works out.

I finally got a few interviews and took a pretty good job that I’m excited about. I’ve got some things I have to finish up in my current job so we’re not moving up until mid July.

We’re driving to Tacoma to put our vehicles and stuff on a boat then flying up.

OP
R

rruchti

FNG
Good luck! Hopefully it all works out.

I finally got a few interviews and took a pretty good job that I’m excited about. I’ve got some things I have to finish up in my current job so we’re not moving up until mid July.

We’re driving to Tacoma to put our vehicles and stuff on a boat then flying up.
Very nice! I hope to be up there soon. Congratulations to you!

What are thoughts on Soldotna vs the Valley or Eagle River with kids that play plenty of sports?