Potentially Sophomoric Question About Glassing w/ Higher Power (12x) Binos

Greetings all.

I recently purchased a pair of Meopta B1.1 12x50's for CO elk and deer at the recommendation of this board. Overall I'm mostly impressed (there is some notable edge distortion, but nothing is perfect). However, after messing around with them I do have a question about technique for use while spotting.

I noticed that when I attempt to scan WITHIN the field of view, no matter how I adjust the binos I get variable black spots as my eyes try to look around within the bino image. Is this normal due to the small exit pupil, or am I doing something wrong? If this is normal, do you just have to tolerate or is there a way to combat it? I find it very distracting.

Any info is greatly appreciated!

Trigger06

FNG
Black spots? Are you remembering to breathe?

But seriously, I haven't experienced that before. Can you describe the spots? Are they large? Do they float around?

OP
M
They appear in the edges of each tube, so in the edges and center of the combined image. Kidney shaped. Similar to when you aren't centered correctly on a riflescope or spotting scope.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
You might experiment with eye relief a little. I tend to get black around the edges when I am too close or too far from the glass.

OP
M
Are the eye cups and interpupillary distance adjusted correctly? Are you glassing off a tripod?

I thought they were. I am not. Tripod is next on the list.

You might experiment with eye relief a little. I tend to get black around the edges when I am too close or too far from the glass.

I will play with that a bit more. I am moving up from some very old 8x42 Monarchs and they were much more forgiving.

I would experiment with eye relief and IPD. Also, put them on a tripod. The 12s are hard to hold steady handheld and looking out to the edges, while possible, is much more difficult when handheld.

I've had the same (I think) on different binoculars, but it had nothing to do with them being high powered. Interpupillary distance was what got me, as well as a tendency to look around too much with my dominant eye without moving the binoculars. If for example you're right eye dominant and you try to look through your binos too far to the left of the FOV when your IPD is too far apart, you'll see a black spot in the middle of your FOV. It's just the edge of your right tube popping up into your FOV.

I got a binoc-loc to ensure my IPD is always set the same, and that almost entirely solved my problem. I also try to not look to the far left of my FOV with my dominant right eye. You can obviously do that with a spotter without issue, but binoculars aren't the same tool.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If the eye relief and interpupillary distance aren't set perfectly for your eyes you'll get that "kidney-bean" effect. On the Meopta's for me the eye relief is perfect with the eyecups about 1/2 way out. Once you get them perfect for you that should also take care of the edge distortion you were seeing.

Epi610

FNG
With binos that “big” the tripod should help you find the sweet spot for your eye relief