Potlatch Lands - Idaho

The time is coming quick, I will be in Lowell area in 3 weeks. I am trying to come up with a back up plan in case Plan A is covered in snow still and I started thinking about Potlatch lands.

I've done a little research and now I have more questions than I did before I looked into it.

1. There was an option for a 14 day consecutive camping permit. Is that only required if you are going to be there 14 consecutive days?

2. Is a permit only required if you are going to drive on their roads? For example, if a potlatch road was closed to motor vehicle use but the area was still open for recreation, would I need a permit to walk in?

3. I see you can buy a hard copy of their maps. Is their anywhere to access digital copies online? I don't mind paying but I want to start looking at them now.

This isn't really a question, just an issue I ran into; They want vehicle information but I am renting a vehicle. I entered my personal vehicles information. I figured between that and my DL #, I should be ok. I will try to update the information when I get the rental.

Thanks guys!

MHWASH

WKR
Your questions lead me to believe your looking at the Michigan rules and not the Idaho rules. I'll admit I haven't looked at the Potlach rules lately. Around here most everybody ignores the Potlach rules. In the past the $50 fee would cover you and your vehicle. There has not been a 14 day limit that will know of.

I'll check into it a little more for you.

OP
engineered2hunt
Your questions lead me to believe your looking at the Michigan rules and not the Idaho rules. I'll admit I haven't looked at the Potlach rules lately. Around here most everybody ignores the Potlach rules. In the past the $50 fee would cover you and your vehicle. There has not been a 14 day limit that will know of.

I'll check into it a little more for you.

It doesn't say that there is a 14 day limit but there are options to purchase a 14 consecutive day camping permit and a yearly camping permit. I just checked it again and it's on the Idaho registration.

ICEMAN86

FNG
All the land here is so broken up you can easily camp on state or forest service and hunt all of that and potlatch. I have been hear my whole life and have never gotten a potlatch permit and have seen the foresters and security guys and have never been asked to show a permit. All of the roads here will lead you thru different landowners so basically they are co-op roads and i wouldnt worry about permits, just say you going to state or forst service land. As for the 14 day limit i wouldnt worry about that there are so many camps on that go in when then snow melts and dont come out till the snow flies. I had my camper out for 2 months last summer with no problems. If you want to know who owns what in clearwater county go to the website and there is an interactive map at the bottom that you can identify every parcel in the county. you can also change the base map on it to google earth.

Last edited: