POW Blacktail gear question

MattTx

FNG
Hello all, first time posting in this forum. I have a hunt planned for blacktail deer on POW from 8/29-9/8 and am trying to figure out what gear I will need. I've only hunted out of box blinds before and am super pumped for this trip. My question is, what type of clothing will I need for this type hunt. All lightweight type gear with good rain gear or will I need heavier stuff. We will be staying in a cabin and leaving everyday to go up to the alpine areas in search of deer. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Felix40

WKR
I wished I had rubber rain pants on my trip. It rained every day pretty much all day. All the brush busting wet out my breathable rain pants in no time.

slvrslngr

WKR
Plan for cool and wet, but don’t be surprised if it’s clear and dry. If it’s raining, prepare to be wet regardless of what rain gear and boots you’re wearing.

stonewall

WKR
This is something I want to do one day...I can only imagine it will be a rough go for a Texan accustomed to dry weather

Welcome to Rokslide

OP
M

MattTx

FNG
This is something I want to do one day...I can only imagine it will be a rough go for a Texan accustomed to dry weather

Welcome to Rokslide
No doubt it’ll be a challenge but I’m looking forward to it. I’m basically trying to figure out what I’ll need to purchase gear wise to be ready for the challenge. I would prefer not to spend $800 for rain gear if I can get away with it but I can’t seem to find the budget friendly pieces that’ll withstand the brush busting ascent.

stonewall

WKR
i always figured to buy the kuiu yukon set for the "one day" hunt up there, but that's just based off what i've read. not based on personal experience at all

i almost think my bass pro brand rain gear would probably keep me dry up there...considering it doesn't breath at all. haha

i have a buddy who's hunted alaska 10+ times. he swears by kuiu fwiw. best wishes to you

OP
M

MattTx

FNG
I get more water in my boots while wearing rubber rain gear than gortex. Even when busting brush. Thats in Ketchikan.
Thanks, we are flying in to Ketchikan and taking a float plane over to Hollis I believe. What type of climbing/hiking have I signed myself up for? Also if not wearing rubber rain gear, what do you recommend? Thanks again.

rickiesrevenge

Lil-Rokslider
The stuff I have now is Outdoor Research. Not the lightest stuff they made but one step up. Not terribly expensive. The hiking depends on where you start from! If you're starting down low it can take 6hrs to get on top. POW has a bunch of road so you should be starting at least part way up the hills to get into the alpine. It'll be brushy, wet and fun.

Budget friendly, and made for POW, get Helly Hansen and look no further.

I’ve been there same dates and was flooded out. 1 Sept seems to be the switch for rain. My first trip we didn’t do much for over a week it rained so hard.

I’d ensure you have clothes that dry fast. The cabin will help.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the Helly Hansen. Affordable, totally waterproof, and tough as rain gear comes. It won't breath like the expensive stuff, but it's a lot tougher and you can repair it easily with tape if you do tear it. I've shredded Kuiu and Kings rain pants in whitethorn patches and blackberry brambles and I'm sure Alaska has some comparably nasty plants.

Beendare

WKR
Plan for non stop wet....and wind.

When we go I typically wear merino or syn long johns with my Chugash rain pants over them. A LS merino shirt again with my rain jacket over it. I have a fleece mid with me in case it gets cold...not too cold that time of year...just rain and wind chill.

Footwear; Gaiters and good comfortable waterproof boot , with very good ankle support and merino socks. I usually have my Wiggys in my pack for crossings.

FWIW, I would never want to stay in a cabin and hike to the alpine every day......and thats where those deer will be at that time.

______

Felix40

WKR
Theres plenty of deer at all elevations. I couldnt hunt the alpine when I went because it was a total white out. Ended up killing my buck down low on the edge of a muskeg.

Plan for cool and wet, but don’t be surprised if it’s clear and dry. If it’s raining, prepare to be wet regardless of what rain gear and boots you’re wearing.
spot on. temps should be pretty mild that time of year, but it can be wet.

I did not spend a lot of time in the alpine, but it's not high enough to have a huge temp difference from low country.

it wouldn't be a terrible idea to have a pair of xtra tufs sitting around for the wet days (with their servus felt insoles to minimize foot slop) they are cheap up there, have insane traction, and you can keep your normal boots dry that way.

bring a thermacell, no see ums can be horrible in the summer months.

if buying raingear for the trip, kuiu will hold up the best, climbing up into the alpine is hard on gear, and most rain gear will get tore up doing it. (chugach is the lightest I would go)

stonewall

WKR
Plan for non stop wet....and wind.

When we go I typically wear merino or syn long johns with my Chugash rain pants over them. A LS merino shirt again with my rain jacket over it. I have a fleece mid with me in case it gets cold...not too cold that time of year...just rain and wind chill.

Footwear; Gaiters and good comfortable waterproof boot , with very good ankle support and merino socks. I usually have my Wiggys in my pack for crossings.

FWIW, I would never want to stay in a cabin and hike to the alpine every day......and thats where those deer will be at that time.

______
Why merino instead of synthetic? Wouldn’t that be harder to dry out?

Capra

Lil-Rokslider
Helly Hansen Impertec Pants
Gore tex Gaiters (Tall)
MANDATORY Caulk Soles ( my next set will just be X tra toughs or you can send your boots to Hoffman)
Your choice for the top Gore Tex High Quality set Or Impertec

If my odds of returning were low I would just get impertec.

I have been to the island 10-15 times YMMV

Whatever camo brand you prefer. I have heard KUIU holds up better, but have not personally tested it yet. For sure as others have suggested, Helly Hansens or Grundens (actual raingear not their light stuff... they do make a kryptek pattern) and wear that when the rain is not letting up anytime soon.

Squamch

WKR
I hunt coastal BC, my gear for dry days is first light merino pants and shirt, a fleece jacket, synthetic underwear, long johns if needed, merino socks, and an under armour synthetic base, and lowa tibet GTX.

Wet days, it's that stuff, and pioneer rubber bibs, muck boots, and a badlands exo jacket.

Pissing rain days, like a couple inches expected that day, I wear a pioneer rubber jacket too, and Simms flyfishing gloves. I'm gonna buy some rubber fishing gloves for this season though. I used to wear glacier gear neoprene waterfowl gloves, they were great for warmth, but got torn up quick.

The nice thing about really hard rain, is it covers your sound REALLY well. Perfect for creepin through the ferns looking for deer.

I live in the same neck of the woods as Squamch and my gear is pretty darn similar to his. I agree with the gloves. Although, for me personally, my hands don't get cold if I am moving. As soon as I stay still, my hands freeze instantly so I have a plush pair of UA Insulator Gore Tex gloves that are toasty warm. I do have to take them off to shoot, but that is a minor issue if I get a buck. For me, the heavy the rain the happier I am hunting....
Good luck.