Powder for 212 eld-x .300 win mag

Gmurray70

FNG
Recently got a .300 win mag and have decided on trying the 212 eld-x bullets. I’m looking at doing some loads with H4831sc and H1000. Curious to know what you guys have used before and what worked well with your setup? I’m not looking to steal anyone’s load data just want to get an idea on what powder may work best? Thanks

ckleeves

WKR
H-1000 works great in the WM with the 200-215 grain bullets. 4831sc would work as well but you may not get real good case fill with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MThuntr

WKR
I'm giving RL26, 7828 and IMR8133 a try with the 208s but am waiting for a bunch of deliveries before I can start. I'm told if you can find it N570 is the cat's meow...it's basically nonexistent.

76.5 is waaay too much to dispose of in one Sitting in my rifle with Hornady brass. I could offer to dispose of it at maybe 74-74.5 grains per sitting. But my rifle seems to have a tight chamber. Reduce that disposal rate another full grain for Nosler brass.:)

Rock-o

WKR
76.5 is waaay too much to dispose of in one Sitting in my rifle with Hornady brass. I could offer to dispose of it at maybe 74-74.5 grains per sitting. But my rifle seems to have a tight chamber. Reduce that disposal rate another full grain for Nosler brass.:)
Ha. I use the Nosler fully-prepped. COAL 3.664.

I run this same set up. 212 ELD X through a 300 win mag. I run this on my Fierce Edge which has a 24" barrel. The best load I worked up was using 7828, and am running 71.2 grains. Don't go running that without working your way up of course. But this is a modest load nothing crazy in terms of pressure. I tried getting more velocity but groupings began to open up (I do a lot of long range shooting so groupings are my priority). The rifle just preferred it at that grain load. I am getting 2850fps on average which is also ideal for the ELD X. I am sure you have all read the stories on forums about a guy who knows a guy. whose neighbors dads friend shot a elk with a ELD X and it apparently failed. Truth to most of those stories are people simply don't read the box. Hornady recommends optimal performance at less than 2700fps, that being it is a long range bullet you typically will be well below that. But the idiots mentioned above take these bullets and run them like a hot rod running a 162 grain out the barrel at 3200 fps. Then shoot Bullwinkle at 40 yards and wonder why it failed.

Running a 212 grain at 2850fps, you are already under the 2700 or darn close to it by 100 yards. So again truth is people need to use the tool how it was designed to be used. Don't use a hammer as a screwdriver and then complain that is makes a terrible screwdriver.

The exact load above over the last 4 years has taken Ontario Moose, Alberta Elk, NZ red stag and a full african plains game hunt dropping big bodied animals like Kudu, Zebra, Sable, Wildebeest etc. And quite literally not a single one of those animals listed went more then 30 yards. And many dropped on the spot. The animals I was eating like the moose, elk and red stag I shot right behind the shoulder and entered the boiler room and yes it makes a mess internally but the animals died immediately which in my books is the goal. And for Africa since I can not take any meat home and tracking would be miserable, I didn't want to take any chances as I read so much about how tough African plains game are (and trust me..... they are) I was aiming right on the shoulder. And for the guys who claim the bullet cant break through a shoulder. I have a 600+lb kudu bull on the wall who took one right on the shoulder at 600m and he dropped dead right where I shot him. Bullet broke through the shoulder and made a mess of the boiler room anyways.

BigLost

FNG
Anyone have any info on Reloader 26? Looking to try the 212's and I was curious if anyone had a baseline with that combo.

CCooper

WKR
H-1000 or Viht. N-570, fed 215m's, and good brass. All of which are currently tough to lay your hands on.

BigLost

FNG
Old thread, but as an update I had good luck with the 212 and RL26 at 76gr. Obviously not a starting point…