Powder River Campground

cshire

FNG
Heading out to Wyoming for Antelope on October 1.
Wife is coming along and daughter may meet up with us for some vacation after hunting.
Planning on bringing 5th wheel trailer along for the family comforts.

Anybody know anything about the campground at Powder River and I-90?
Shows on Google maps, but I can't find a name, phone number or anything.
Is this place open and operational? showers? Fills up fast on opening week?
Other options for a parking a 5th wheel in the area other than boondocking on BLM land?
Any info would be appreciated.

powder river 1.jpg

powder river camp.jpg

Last edited:
You might also try the KC RV in Kaycee if thats still near enough to your hunting area? Christy and Randy have a nice place and you have access to gas and a couple small restaurants in town. They usually are Ok on the 1st, later in the month they usually fill up.

wyosteve

WKR
That is not a campground per se unless they've upgraded it the past few years. Mainly just a rest area with bathrooms and a few picnic tables. I could be wrong though since I haven't gone by there recently.

OP
C

cshire

FNG
That is not a campground per se unless they've upgraded it the past few years. Mainly just a rest area with bathrooms and a few picnic tables. I could be wrong though since I haven't gone by there recently.

powder river 2.png
Ya - the rest area shows as right at the exit. This is adjacent to that up the Powder River Rd.
Google street view shows this - says Motel, Store, Gas, RV park on the side of the building.
Not sure how old the Google photos are.
Thinking they may be out of business.

manitou1

WKR
It was there last year. Looked as if being used then. Stopped at the rest stop twice a few weeks ago, but didn't drive back where the campground is.

Tjay

FNG
Stayed there in 2013. A new owner was trying to get it back operating. The showers were open but nothing else at that time. Have not been by there since so can offer nothing as to current state of affairs.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with that spot. I’ve hunted a nearby unit a few times, and don’t remember seeing anything there, but wasn’t looking.

Camped on BLM in a tent one year. Other year, got one of those small cabins at the KOA in Buffalo. In the unlikely event I hunt there again, I would probably go back to the KOA. Worth the modest price to me. If I were pulling a trailer, there’s zero chance I would boondock in that area. Any precipitation at all and you may have significant issues getting out. Some of the slickest mud I’ve seen in that area. And both times I’ve hunted there, we’ve got significant snow during the second half of Oct.

If you go into Buffalo, stop at the Cowboy Saloon. I’d go again, and it’ll make you feel like you’re in an old western movie. Met some nice folks there, the food was good and inexpensive, and got to watch some of the World Series.

OP
C

cshire

FNG
I believe you would be much better off traveling 30-40 miles west on I-90 and use one of the campgrounds in Buffalo. There are three or four that would be much better suited for the situation you describe.

ClearCreek

are you referring to the blm campgrounds? Was looking at those as well. Good roads in to them? Camper is 24 feet so not a monster but also don't want to get in too tight quarters and not be able to get turned

are you referring to the blm campgrounds? Was looking at those as well. Good roads in to them? Camper is 24 feet so not a monster but also don't want to get in too tight quarters and not be able to get turned

cshire:

Actually there are no "developed" BLM campgrounds near Buffalo, I think the campgrounds you may be referring to are U.S. Forest Service campgrounds on the Bighorn National Forest a few miles west of Buffalo. Those developed campgrounds on the Forest tend to close up not too long after Labor Day.

I was referring to the privately run campgrounds that are in Buffalo (KOA, Indian Campground and Deer Park Campground). There are close to or in town and great spots for RV's as they have water and power hookups.

ClearCreek

OP
C

cshire

FNG
Thanks for all the info guys. Will probably stay at one of the parks in Buffalo for the hunting on the first few days. Plan to drop down to Denver on Saturday to pick up daughter when she flies in and do some traveling in CO and WY from there.

Good luck to all and I'll report back in a bit over a month, hopefully with photos of an antelope down.

Dcoryn

FNG
Cshire, I drove by the campground on saturday and sunday this weekend trying to get some info for you when I was out there at a buddies ranch. There wasnt anyone around or any info on the door. From what the locals said theres a guy everyone just calls "cowboy" that is trying to get it back running again. But I would say its probably not an option for this fall

OP
C

cshire

FNG
Cshire, I drove by the campground on saturday and sunday this weekend trying to get some info for you when I was out there at a buddies ranch. There wasnt anyone around or any info on the door. From what the locals said theres a guy everyone just calls "cowboy" that is trying to get it back running again. But I would say its probably not an option for this fall

Wow! thanks for the boots on the ground intel.
Working on alternate plans now

OP
C

cshire

FNG
Closing the loop -
Went back and forth on taking the trailer or tenting.
Ended up taking the trailer, stayed at the Indian Campground and RV Park right in Buffalo.
Place was full hookups, clean bathrooms, WiFi, coin laundry for about $38 per night.
Worked well for us. Not sure what I will plan for next year - camper was great, but 9mpg from Michigan is a bit pricey.

Driving around scouting I did see some trailers set up on BLM as well as tent campers.

Got my first ever antelope buck on the evening of opening day.

antelope.jpg