Powder scales

My chargemaster 1500 scale is on the fritz. Looking for suggestions on an accurate digital scale to double check each load. The balance beam is too slow for my liking. Surely there must be something cheaper than a Prometheus or A&D FX120i that actually works

Rob5589

WKR
The 1500 is a good scale. Is it under warranty and/or can RCBS repair it? I always double check on my 10-10 scale even though it is a bit slower.

deadwolf

WKR
I have a small RCBS scale that I occasionally double check loads with that come from the charge master lite.
c5109f4420889a7f04364578dc7f98cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bradb

WKR
Do you want a scale or a case powder system like charge master or accutrickle set up?

Gem pros are not terrible small scales.

But if my Fx 120i dies today I will order a new one today........even if I have to sell some primers :)

If your interested in trying a micro touch, let me know. It seems pretty reliable but went to a charge master soon after so not much experience.

Attachments

• 20201212_130331.jpg
    20201212_130331.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 37

CCooper

WKR
I just bought an A&D EJ123 off Brownells when my cheap electronic unit took a shit. I knew it wasn’t the best, but after 2 range sessions shooting over my magneto speed, the A&D considerably tightened up ES and SD on a couple existing loads for 2 different rifles.

I’ve been checking out the My Weigh iBalance 401 (i401), 0.05gn resolution at around $220. and the A&D EJ-123, 0.02gn for $330. (Old Will Knot) The A&D has the better warranty at 5yrs, and the reputation of it’s more expensive brother the 120i.
I’ve also been thinking about the Chargemaster Lite, but I think I might want better than 0.1gn resolution, even if the combination of a scale, measure and trickier is gonna cost me a little more.

The balance beam scale may be slow, but is what I use to occasionally check my lyman gen 6. I have noticed some electronic scales are finicky around other electronics and fluorescent lighting. I like to cycle my powde feeders couple times, check a load or two on beam scale and ready to rock

7wssm

FNG
I think it’s time to step up to an A&D. Two scales that didn’t break the bank and worked quite well were the gempro and grizzly bald eagle which both are discontinued.

I trust my ancient RCBS 502 balance beam powder scale made by Ohaus a lot more than the digital powder scale I have. If I leave the digital on a while it drifts significantly. About all I weigh on it are arrows and shotgun shot weights when I set the adjustable charge bar up to throw my desired weight of the shot size I am loading.

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
No matter what you get a set of calibration weights are relatively cheap and a good investment. If you want to convert grams to grains you can pick up gram weights for like 10 bucks

I have been using a gempro 300 as a check weight. That being said. I have an a&d fx120i and autotrickler on order. Not because the 1500 and gempro don't work, they get the job done, I just want to do it faster and trying to eliminate extra steps. Gempro resolves to .02 and I when I spot check it it is within that tolerance.

7wssm

FNG
I have been using a gempro 300 as a check weight. That being said. I have an a&d fx120i and autotrickler on order. Not because the 1500 and gempro don't work, they get the job done, I just want to do it faster and trying to eliminate extra steps. Gempro resolves to .02 and I when I spot check it it is within that tolerance.

I’m strongly considering an autotrickler. My auto powder dispenser crapped out on me so might just sell it after they send me a new from warranty replacement.

Str8shtr

Lil-Rokslider
I had a gempro. It was junk in my opinion. Got a v3 auto trickler with auto throw with 120i. The scale is impressive. I'd wait for the v4 auto trickler to come out. It should work better with the big kernels that sometimes bind up the auto throw. I used a charge master 1500 for a while but it's not quite as accurate and a little slow. The new rcbs matchmaster is a good option as well.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
I had a gempro. It was junk in my opinion. Got a v3 auto trickler with auto throw with 120i. The scale is impressive. I'd wait for the v4 auto trickler to come out. It should work better with the big kernels that sometimes bind up the auto throw. I used a charge master 1500 for a while but it's not quite as accurate and a little slow. The new rcbs matchmaster is a good option as well.
I wish I had the patience to wait for v4 to come out