Power disruptions

Wvroach

WKR
Have any of you experienced power disruptions due to a lack of energy being produced? I'm not talking about temporary outages due to storms but actual power grid disruptions.

I just received a notice from my power company now that my rates will be increasing again, though it doesn't say by how much. Also that they plan to experience several outages with the heat and limited energy supply. As I live in a state with several coal mines and electricity plants it is kind of mind boggling how we can experience limited fuel supply. I understand how it just doesn't add up to me.

What efforts have you made to mitigate the effects on your home/property or livestock?

Anyone have a solar well pump set up for their home? If so what brand and how has it functioned for you? Also what depth is it pulling from?

I do have a gas and a diesel generator as well as a small solar array and a few ecoflow generators to run if needed.

It is worrisome as we are only at the beginning of summer as the days get hotter and more energy is being drawn I'm unsure where/when the cap on these increases in prices and throttling will stop. Curious to see what other efforts/ideas people have to help mitigate the effects on them.

Edit to add, let's try not turn this into abortion/gun/policy/administration arguments, just experiences and efforts about what we can do to be more prepared for these things that seem to be coming to all of us.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
Use a Diesel gen, but fuel prices are tough. We lose water when power is out, the pumps down the road, but the water company (small) doen't have back up for them. Serves about 60 homes. Lots of solar around but most don't use battery storage, only buyback from power company. One other thing. you have to store fuel, when power is out you can't get it at the pump.

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
I live in a duplex in California. Yup - i know…

But yes we have gotten blackouts “just because”

Last year when it was over 100, the power went out “because” and we were told to just go outside.

These WILL be a more frequent occurrence, not just here. They tell us they’re abandoning nat gas, shuttering nuclear power plants, etc

I have a gas/propane gen but would like a small solar wirh battery bank system to power the freezer and an ac if necessary.
Don’t know anything about them yet.

Just curious what part of the country your in ? Your power provider a municipal, IOU, or a Rurual Electric Cooperative ?

We also have some PTO generators laying around the farm

OP
Wvroach

Wvroach

WKR
Just curious what part of the country your in ? Your power provider a municipal, IOU, or a Rurual Electric Cooperative ?

We also have some PTO generators laying around the farm
I am in West Virginia, power provider is a rural co-op.

We are very rural, a hour to the closest Walmart, 40+ mins to a grocery store.

When storms come through if a line breaks, transformer blows etc we are often times days/up to weeks away from being restored especially if it is a large system that effects the more populated areas. When Sandy came through it was 2 weeks before we had power back consistently.

CorbLand

WKR
Havent experienced anything here in Utah. Its been situation normal but its been a little cooler this spring so we havent had to run the AC.

Last edited:
All good in Nebraska. . . But we were running a very aged steam plant a couple weeks ago to sell power at ridiculous rates to the southern power pool that we joined a few years back.

Nebraska has a public power utility that keeps power pretty cheap and for the most part consistently supplied. Then we joined a power pool and get jacked around a bit, but still gave very reliable supply, and the added benefit of selling ungodly expensive electricity to southern states when it's very hot or very cold!

No efforts are being made other than making sure lights are turned off when not in use - should be done anyway.

This "situation" will soon correct itself, without turning this into a political thread...

I’m on a rural co-op that’s 85% hydro powered, no issues yet, but we don’t have many houses with ac around here.

OP
Wvroach

Wvroach

WKR
I have a gas/propane gen but would like a small solar wirh battery bank system to power the freezer and an ac if necessary.
Don’t know anything about them yet.
I have a few of the ecoflow deltas. I can run my freezer for 17 hours or cycle between the 3 to keep them frozen. I did purchase 2 additional units to charge and rotate through. For the price when I got them they were the most affordable/cost efficient for our situation.

I bought them in anticipation of something along these lines. We try to live as self sufficient/communal efficient as we can anyways this has just accelerated some things for us.

I'm interested in setting up an array for the whole house but haven't pulled the trigger on it quite yet. Diy looking like it's going to be around 12k or installed 25k to power my home and shop.

Reactions: JJJ
If construction costs ever come back into this atmosphere I want to build a shop/garage. When I do, I’d like to upgrade my 500 gallon propane tank to a 1000 gallon and add a 10-12k back up generator. Even though we don’t have many outages it’d be nice to be prepared.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
Have any of you experienced power disruptions due to a lack of energy being produced? I'm not talking about temporary outages due to storms but actual power grid disruptions.

I just received a notice from my power company now that my rates will be increasing again, though it doesn't say by how much. Also that they plan to experience several outages with the heat and limited energy supply. As I live in a state with several coal mines and electricity plants it is kind of mind boggling how we can experience limited fuel supply. I understand how it just doesn't add up to me.

What efforts have you made to mitigate the effects on your home/property or livestock?

Anyone have a solar we'll pump set up for their home? If so what brand and how has it functioned for you? Also what depth is it pulling from?

I do have a gas and a diesel generator as well as a small solar array and a few ecoflow generators to run if needed.

It is worrisome as we are only at the beginning of summer as the days get hotter and more energy is being drawn I'm unsure where/when the cap on these increases in prices and throttling will stop. Curious to see what other efforts/ideas people have to help mitigate the effects on them.

Edit to add, let's try not turn this into abortion/gun/policy/administration arguments, just experiences and efforts about what we can do to be more prepared for these things that seem to be coming to all of us.
AEP is the devil

JakeSCH

WKR
I was going to install tesla powerwall so that we still have water at the house...after looking at it further the propane generator was a better route.

After all the research I just decided to sell the house and live in a box.

Also that they plan to experience several outages with the heat and limited energy supply. As I live in a state with several coal mines and electricity plants it is kind of mind boggling how we can experience limited fuel supply. I understand how it just doesn't add up to me.
It may be kind of confusing, but I'll do my best to try to explain. You are a member owner of a Rural electric Cooperative and who ever your cooperative buys its electricity from is part of PJM.
1656088298499.png
For example during the texas winter storm of Febuary 2021 that took out all forms of generation in TX, Co-operatives whose power provider are apart of MISO sent electricity from Manitoba, MN & ND

amassi

WKR
Pge turns ours off in the summer when it gets windy. Suppose they can't afford to burn down the other half of the state they haven't torched already. Also our rates increased to offset their legal fees.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk