Votes: 114 47.1%
  • Makita

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Hilti

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters
What power tools are you guys using? What tool brand do you feel is best?

i usually just google best “ tool “ sawzall, skill saw, etc for 2021 and buy whichever one pops up the most as the best.

seems like Milwaukee has the biggest following.

most of my searches come up with dewalt and actually Bosch so that’s what I have most of.

Thanks

I bought a Ridgid set about 8 or 9 years ago for home use and no complaints. Everything still works like it did on day one. That said if I was looking for something top end Milwaukee would probably be it based on what I hear. I am sure some others are just as good.

grfox92

WKR
I can steer you in the right direction. What power tools specifically do you need? How will they be used and what is your budget?

If you need an impact gun and a drill and that's it, the recommendation would be different then if you were looking for a full set of cordless tools.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

LooknWalk

FNG
I have all Milwaukee Fuel power tools and I couldn't be happier with them! I have some of their 12v and 18v tools! However I don't think you could go wrong with Makita, Bosch,Dewalt, or Rigid!

OP
F
I can steer you in the right direction. What power tools specifically do you need? How will they be used and what is your budget?

If you need an impact gun and a drill and that's it, the recommendation would be different then if you were looking for a full set of cordless tools.

I have most tools already. I was just organizing the garage and thought why not make a post and see how I am doing haha.

like I said I like Bosch and dewalt. I am sure Milwaukee is great I just can’t stand looking at red.

grfox92

WKR
I have most tools already. I was just organizing the garage and thought why not make a post and see how I am doing haha.

like I said I like Bosch and dewalt. I am sure Milwaukee is great I just can’t stand looking at red.
I have used Bosch, DeWalt, Milwaukee, and Hilti professionally, I've use about everything else at least a handful of times

Those listed above are the only names I would consider when talking cordless.

Bosh and Hilti are a little clunky and bulky, but have great trigger feedback and the best power. Hilti's battery life is outstanding, you barely need to break the charger out if the bag for a days work.

DeWalt and Milwaukee are neck and neck in terms of quality and performance. Milwaukee supposedly has better battery technology, but I don't think you can tell a difference.

Milwaukee has more specialty tools then anyone else. It seems all plumbers, electricians, HVAC guys ect. use Milwaukee because they make very specific cordless tools for those trades. Carpenters and remodelers lean towards DeWalt.

I wouldn't touch Makita with a 10 foot pole. They have a very wide range of quality amongst their tools. Some are as good as Hilti, some are worse then Ryobi, and for that reason I won't touch them.

For me Corded tools like Miter Saw, Table Saw, planer, I like Dewault.

If you need a drill and impact gun for around the house, Ridgid, is a Milwaukee dressed in drag. They are both made by TTI, and share internals and battery technology. Ridgid is much cheaper, but can only be bought at Home Depot.

My company uses mostly dewalt cordless tools and they hold up to allot of abuse. The one thing i would watch for is dewalt has 🇺🇸 made and foreign made the foreign made seem to be light duty use.

Rob5589

WKR
Bosch and Dewalt, both excellent, powerful, good battery life. Ridgid was garbage in my experience.

Beendare

WKR
I’ve been running my own construction company for 42 years.

I’ve run the top brands and used to be a Milwaukee and Dewalt fan Until I tried Makita.

Many years ago I was building form panels along side a Makita, hundreds of 3” screws in a day. I was Going through batteries with my Fuel driver 1.5 to 1 against my nephews Makita and ended up burning it up.

I use all Makita now. I can tell you that their compact stuff does not have as much torque as the full size version.... but it is a lot lighter.

That 2 Battery Worm Dr., Makita Skil saw is a dream

We still use some Milwaukee tools Because we have so many batteries . My guys like that one hand sawsall and the Milwaukee grease gun. We burn up one of those Fuel saws all‘s in about six months but it gets used five days a week.

i would rate the top 3: Makita, Dewalt, Milw.

Last edited:

bsnedeker

WKR
I really like all my Milwaukee stuff, but my BIL who works construction is dewalt all day and so are most of the guys he works with. For the diyer you can't go wrong with either.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I’ve been running my own construction company for 42 years.

I’ve run the top brands and used to be a Milwaukee and Dewalt fan Until I tried Makita.

Many years ago I was building form panels along side a Makita, hundreds of 3” screws in a day. I was Going through batteries with my Fuel driver 1.5 to 1 against my nephews Makita and ended up burning it up.

I use all Makita now. I can tell you that their compact stuff does not have as much torque as the full size version.... but it is a lot lighter.

That 2 Battery Worm Dr., Makita Skil saw is a dream

We still use some Milwaukee tools Because we have so many batteries . My guys like that one hand sawsall and the Milwaukee grease gun. We burn up one of those Fuel saws all‘s in about six months but it gets used five days a week.

i would rate the top 3: Makita, Dewalt, Milw.
That's interesting about Makita. It's been a few years since I've tried any of their stuff. But I had a lot of bad experiences with them about seven or eight years ago. There were certain impacts and drills that they were making at a point in time that got returned and were defective at a rate of about four to one.

I'd love to get my hands on a cordless combo kit to try.

Im a general contractor but mostly do all the carpentry myself, mostly custom jobs. I use makita mainly for my cordless stuff but i have Milwaukee and ryobi stuff too. Milwaukee has more options for specialty trades like plumbing but i prefer makita for most things carpentry. The pex crimper from Milwaukee is awesome.

I LOVE the makita td171dz impact, the buttons are in Japanese and i had to get it on ebay but its so much stronger and more compact than the ones sold here, plus it has more features than those that are not made in japan. And its burgundy so it kinda stands out lol. Its my favorite tool

Firestone

WKR
I have mostly dewalt but a little of everything. if you are going cordless it might be wise to stay with one company, batteries are to expensive. I am definitely on the carpentry side of the spectrum. I have a buddy who does plumbing and heating and he uses nothing but Milwaukee and Hilti. Another friend owns a cabinet shop and he runs nothing but Festool amd makita.

id_jon

WKR
I voted milwaukee, but I run all makita because that's what I got first and now have 8 or so batteries and about a dozen tools.

sndmn11

WKR
That's interesting about Makita. It's been a few years since I've tried any of their stuff. But I had a lot of bad experiences with them about seven or eight years ago. There were certain impacts and drills that they were making at a point in time that got returned and were defective at a rate of about four to one.

I'd love to get my hands on a cordless combo kit to try.

I have Makita everything for my house from yard tools to miter saws to brushless kits. I think 10-12 tools total. I am not kind to anything and it has all worked flawlessly to the point my wife has purchased the last two (blower and rotary tool) on her own volition.

When I was running cabinet crews, I phased out dewalt and switched to Milwaukee with zero regrets.