Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Hilti

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

hunt1up

WKR
I'm no contractor but I've remodeled two houses of my own, helped on my brothers remodel, built pavilions, tables, etc. So I use my cordless tools on a routine basis. So I guess I'd consider myself just a little above homeowner use but nowhere near being a commercial guy.

I've had superb luck with all my Dewalt 20v Max stuff. I started with a the twin driver pack and worked up from there. Slowly everything that was corded started to get sold. Now I think the only corded thing I have is an angle grinder and a miter saw. I have the Dewalt drills, 1/2" impact, leaf blower, pole saw, hammer drill, circular saw, jigsaw, sawsall, and probably a few more I'm forgetting.

I know plenty of guys that say their Milwaukee stuff is better, perhaps it is. I'd probably be just as happy with either one for my needs.

Jo83ben

FNG
If you really want to get confused watch tool box buzz on YouTube. They do big power tool shootouts comparing a ton of different brands and tools and they’re the most comprehensive and truly attempt to make their reviews scientific and take out bias. A lot of YouTube reviews are stuff like “this things so powerful! Look I shot it and it still works!” They actually try to remove user error and all and really provide good data on the tools themselves.
But....that’s what I’ve done and that’s partially why I now have makita Milwaukee and dewalt tools. Haha. But not being married to one battery platform allows me to choose the best tool in the category or jump on the best deal etc.
In the end, a lot of this is a Ford dodge chevy argument. Everyone has an opinion but whatever you choose you’ll be fine, and every year they’ll come out with something else you wish you had gotten. Hahaha. Go spend that stimulus check on some tools!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pcmem

FNG
I'm interested in the new Flex pro line just announced that is positioned to compete with Milwaukee and Dewalt. Competition is good.

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

Coues123

FNG
My neighbor and I decided to buy the same brand power tools with batteries. We both buy what tools we want but know what each other has. If we need a tool from each other, ask but if the other is not home just pick it up and leave note or text with what we got. Milwaukee 12 and 18 volt tools with about 30 available between us. Both retired so no one making a living but sure nice access.

Deadfall

WKR
I used Makita for many years and still have multiple lines from them. Never had any major problems. Makita is a Japanese co, but all my tools from them say “Made in China”. Milwaukee is a Chinese co headquartered in the US with four factories here and my Milwaukee drills say “Made in Vietnam”. I think my Dewalt miter says “Made in Mexico”.
Still all 5gat is owned by tti

elkguide

WKR
Every tool company has it's specialty. When on any jobsite around here if you need a reciprocating saw, you ask "where is a Sawzall" and when you want a jigsaw it was always where is the Bosch?
After many years building both commercial and residential projects, I have a variety of corded tools from Bosch, Makita, Milwaukee, Metabo, Fein, Dewalt, Porter Cable, etc. Most of my cordless tools are Bosch, only for the battery issue so that I don't have guys running around trying to find the right charger for their tool. In the shop, we have mostly General (the early good stuff), Festool and Fein. Being a commercial contractor, everything that I buy is commercial grade and there is a big difference in initial cost and lifespan.

(And in case you're wondering......... I drive a GMC 2500 Denali. The best truck out there)

14idaho

FNG
I own an electrical contracting business and employs several electricians. I can honestly say I've tried all the major brands of cordless and decided on DeWalt. Have all 20 volt tools. The reasons are as follow : DeWalt has the highest rated torque rating. Normally this isn't too important but my guys use the cordless drills when they should use a corded drill. They run large auger bits, even 2 in. Also the warranty. DeWalt has a 3 year replacement policy. When they burn the drills out with the big bits I send them in and they send me new ones. With their fast charger the batteries charge in 20 minutes. The downsize is they are heavy and on the impacts you need to be careful not to shear off bolts. Often wondered why they don't have different settings on the impacts. We have about a dozen hammer drills and as many impact. They now have a 60volt platform.

oenanthe

WKR
... Often wondered why they don't have different settings on the impacts. ...
Some models of the impacts have different settings. I'm not a pro and don't know all that much about it, frankly, but I do know I have a DCCF887 1/4" impact driver that has 3 different settings, and a DCF899 1/2" impact wrench that also has 3 different settings. I'm very happy with both of those tools, and the different settings are very useful.

Just the other day I used the 887 to drive a bunch of little 1/2" wood screws, and on the lowest setting I could seat them without stripping them out.

And the 899 will break loose rusty lugnuts easily, but when I put them back on I use the medium setting so I don't overtorque them (final torque by hand).

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
I run dewalt daily. For the most part have been really happy with it. Some of the 60V batteries won't work on the flexvolt tools. which is a pain. I have nothing against milauwakee. I think they make great tools as well.

grfox92

WKR
I own an electrical contracting business and employs several electricians. I can honestly say I've tried all the major brands of cordless and decided on DeWalt. Have all 20 volt tools. The reasons are as follow : DeWalt has the highest rated torque rating. Normally this isn't too important but my guys use the cordless drills when they should use a corded drill. They run large auger bits, even 2 in. Also the warranty. DeWalt has a 3 year replacement policy. When they burn the drills out with the big bits I send them in and they send me new ones. With their fast charger the batteries charge in 20 minutes. The downsize is they are heavy and on the impacts you need to be careful not to shear off bolts. Often wondered why they don't have different settings on the impacts. We have about a dozen hammer drills and as many impact. They now have a 60volt platform.
There is a specific Dewault impact that does in fact have power settings.

I've never laid hands on it, but I was showing my boss the 3 power settings on a Hilti impact I was using and he told me he just bought a Dewault that had adjustable power settings also.

I haven't sheared any heads off anything yet with the Dewault and we drive alot of 6 inch lags with them. What types of screws are you breaking?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I run a exterior contracting business. Sadly, walked away from Milwaukee when my last battery operated tools were getting ready to be replaced.
I have made the switch to Rigid octane and have to say I am very pleased with these tools. Feel like the Milwaukee quality was slipping. Not to mention the Rigid warranty is excellent.
I run a ton of Metabo air guns, corded skil saw and table saw. Dewalt 12" compound miter saw (wish I had the Makita, who knows maybe I'll sell the dewalt)

OP
F
Do you guys feel the power tools bought from Home Depot are less quality then those bought from specialty store? Or is that a rumor

Htm84

WKR
Do you guys feel the power tools bought from Home Depot are less quality then those bought from specialty store? Or is that a rumor
Depends. Tool numbers are tool numbers. Doesn’t matter where you buy them. Home Depot and Lowe’s etc tend to carry some of the lighter duty/homeowner stuff but also have some of the heavier duty stuff. Lumber yards and specialty stores tend to just carry the heavier duty stuff.

Drenalin

WKR
I haven't sheared any heads off anything yet with the Dewault and we drive alot of 6 inch lags with them. What types of screws are you breaking?
Not to speak for the guy you're replying to, but on commercial sites I've worked on guys like to use impacts for everything because they're easier. Almost a crutch. The problem isn't with the impact, it's with the user. I've seen tapcons snapped off more times than I can count, but have also seen guys put door hardware on with impacts and run those things till a metal door crumples, or till they ring off hinge screws. Some guys even use them on cabinet hardware - "Oh, I'll just jog it in." It's fine if the guy knows what he's doing and is being careful, but most of the time there's a big hurry and stuff happens. And we're not exactly in the golden age of "guys who know what they're doing." If I had my way, all the impacts would leave a jobsite once the building's dried in and we'd all use drills with clutch settings.

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Contractor here... Dewalt #1, Bosch close #2. I bought the hype a few years ago on Milwaukee and the drills only lasted a yr. I have a few dewalts that have been abused and used daily for hard use going on a decade +.