Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Craftsman

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Hilti

Votes: 4 1.7%

• Total voters

Carpenterant

Lil-Rokslider
I voted for Hilti because everything I’ve used of theirs has been top notch. That being said I just started my contracting business and realized my 15 year old makita drill and impact with original batteries just doesn’t cut it anymore. I’ve been a makita fan for years but just bought Milwaukee worm drive and drill and impact.

grfox92

WKR
Not to speak for the guy you're replying to, but on commercial sites I've worked on guys like to use impacts for everything because they're easier. Almost a crutch. The problem isn't with the impact, it's with the user. I've seen tapcons snapped off more times than I can count, but have also seen guys put door hardware on with impacts and run those things till a metal door crumples, or till they ring off hinge screws. Some guys even use them on cabinet hardware - "Oh, I'll just jog it in." It's fine if the guy knows what he's doing and is being careful, but most of the time there's a big hurry and stuff happens. And we're not exactly in the golden age of "guys who know what they're doing." If I had my way, all the impacts would leave a jobsite once the building's dried in and we'd all use drills with clutch settings.
I'm guilty of using impacts for more then I should. But I consider myself to know what Im doing.

You are definetly right about living in a time where guys don't know what they are doing. Skilled trades guys are hard to find. Young guys don't stick with it or are simply incapable of learning how to do anything hands on.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
F
I just want to know if it’s safe to buy tools from Home Depot lol. I no it could be a rumor. But like Home Depot sells a tool with a bag option. You never see that bag option through a specialty tool store. Makes me nervous the tool quality is less. Might just be my anxiety hahaha

Jo83ben

FNG
Just be sure to check the model number. Each company makes like 5-10 different drills and impact drivers etc. and the model number will tell you exactly what you’re getting. Home Depot sells the good tools and the older models or lower grade tools. Usually the big multi tool kits are lower grade, but sometimes the pick a free tool deals will include a good option or two and a bunch of crappy options as well. Generally speaking with Milwaukee, the higher end tools are one key, fuel, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
F
Just be sure to check the model number. Each company makes like 5-10 different drills and impact drivers etc. and the model number will tell you exactly what you’re getting. Home Depot sells the good tools and the older models or lower grade tools. Usually the big multi tool kits are lower grade, but sometimes the pick a free tool deals will include a good option or two and a bunch of crappy options as well. Generally speaking with Milwaukee, the higher end tools are one key, fuel, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah I just get nervous that even though it’s the same model number they are making them for big box stores and mass prefixing them for them with cheaper parts. I guess it’s in my head

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I voted Dewalt due to my corded drill and rotary hammer are Dewalt. My impact driver and cordless drill are Porter Cable. The impact driver has been used hard and put away wet and still keeps going. My corded circular saw is an 28 year old Craftsman that still keeps going. My compound miter saw is a Matebo which is an awesome saw.

dubllung4

FNG
Yeah I just get nervous that even though it’s the same model number they are making them for big box stores and mass prefixing them for them with cheaper parts. I guess it’s in my head
That is definitely not the case.

Milwaukee has my vote. We have hundreds of M18 tools at work that get abused and rarely have an issue. As with anything there is the rare lemon but generally they are great. I have a big variety of cordless at home too and the only one I've had an issue with is the orbital sander.

Coldtrail

WKR
Do you guys feel the power tools bought from Home Depot are less quality then those bought from specialty store? Or is that a rumor
As I typed earlier, I have a side biz of remodeling along with decks and docks for lake homes. I have some of the Ridgid cordless stuff I originally bought for outdoor crappy conditions where I'm dragging them around in the dirt or risking dropping them in the water etc. There is a noticeable difference in quality from the one tool you buy off the shelf someplace compared to the "sale pack" you find at Home Depot. Though it's a little embarrassing to bring out the blaze orange tool kit, I finally had a drill used only for driving deck screws fail on me....bought it in 2002. I find the batteries last as long as the Dewalts, but getting them free when they go is sure nice.

Squamch

WKR
I was a makita guy, but then I tried milwaukee. Milwaukee has the best selection of cordless tools, and their 3/8" impact is a badass unit. Still use a blue corded skil saw though.
Dewalt is for crackhead drywallers, but their 13" planer is a good unit.
Ridgid is good homeowner grade stuff.
Hilti has the best battery life, but I'm not rich, so I don't use them. They do have every tool and battery individually serialized and tracked when bought new, so if someone steals your batteries, you can theoretically catch them.

qwerksc

WKR
If yer working with a crew, run what the majority of the crew runs...we are team Blue. That’s it, proven.

OP
F
As I typed earlier, I have a side biz of remodeling along with decks and docks for lake homes. I have some of the Ridgid cordless stuff I originally bought for outdoor crappy conditions where I'm dragging them around in the dirt or risking dropping them in the water etc. There is a noticeable difference in quality from the one tool you buy off the shelf someplace compared to the "sale pack" you find at Home Depot. Though it's a little embarrassing to bring out the blaze orange tool kit, I finally had a drill used only for driving deck screws fail on me....bought it in 2002. I find the batteries last as long as the Dewalts, but getting them free when they go is sure nice.
Rigid is Home Depot brand though I believe.

I am talking buying like Milwaukee at Home Depot vs buying Milwaukee at specialty tool store. If it’s the same part number is it actually an identical tool. You read on the internet that they put cheaper parts inside the tools that go to Home Depot because they are mass produced for them

nrh6.7

WKR
Rigid is Home Depot brand though I believe.

I am talking buying like Milwaukee at Home Depot vs buying Milwaukee at specialty tool store. If it’s the same part number is it actually an identical tool. You read on the internet that they put cheaper parts inside the tools that go to Home Depot because they are mass produced for them
It is my understanding that because HD sells a ton of Milwaukee tools that they have packages put together just for them. I've bought several of them over the years and the part numbers are the same as if you bought them individually anywhere else. Also, the quality of the HD package tools seem to be the same as the Fuel tools I bought a la carte from elsewhere.

DJF3864

FNG
I stick mostly with DeWalt or Milwaukee, have had good luck with both. I like the Milwaukee 12v system, nice for doing tight space work or you just don't need the extra juice.

Makita cordless impact and drill. That's the only stuff I'll buy cordless.

Then a mixture of Milwaukee, DeWalt, Bosch, Ridgid, and my hammer drill and sawzaw are harbor freight POS 1 and POS 2

tuffcity

WKR
I'm looking at either a Makita or Bosch 12" compound sliding mitre saw due to clearance issues on my bench and both of these are front slide/articulating. Any preference of one over the other?

14idaho

FNG
I purchased a Moen faucet from Home Depot and it started leaking. I have a friend that works at a plumbing supply so I have him the cartridge to replace and he said right " you bought this from HD didn't you". I asked him how knew. Told me that Moen faucets sold by HD have plastic cartridges and the Moen they sell have brass cartridges. Same model numbers and all.

The only thing I'll add, if you need a compressor, get a quiet one.

I got a STEALTH brand compressor last year. Same output as a pancake, little bit heavier, but man what a difference in volume, especially working inside.

I solved that problem years ago. I have a 25'x25' shop with a seperate 8'x16' storage room connected to the outside wall. I put my stand-up 50 gal. compressor in that room with galvanized pipe through the wall. I have the gauge w/oiler & water trap and an on/off switch inside the workshop.

I own a variety of tools and brands, many of which are a few decades old. I am by no means a professional builder but have managed to get by with quite a few projects with the only help being my oldest son for the heavy lifting stuff, like setting ceiling joists and sheetrock. The 25'x25' workshop I use was itself one of my first projects for this house in 1980. I added it & an adjoining 14'X20' trophy room. Since then, I've basically remodeled my entire house and added a !4'x32' family room to take up the overflow from my other trophy room. The cabinets in our kitchen that was completely remodeled 10 yrs. ago were all made from scratch of recycled 3/4" pine paneling that was salvaged in downtown Phoenix where the ballpark was built.

But I digress; back to my tools. Other than drills, I've pretty much stayed away from battery-operated tools since most of what I do is around my place. So for portable tools I stick to corded & air operated ones. I own a Milwaukee recip saw, 7 1/4 Skilsaw & an an assortment of nail guns. My table scroll saw, 1/2" plunge router, hand scroll saw and recip sander are all Ryobi. For floor tools, there are 10" table & 10" radial arm saws, 6" joiner, 1/2" shaper, 12" bandsaw, a combo 8" table/disc sander & 36" lathe, which are all Craftman branded but made by Delta, as is my Delta-branded 12" planer & 10"miter saw. My 50 gal' compressor is also a Craftman. My floor drill press is some off brand I bought 38 yrs. ago for $89 & it's still going strong. In the way of smaller tools, I have enough air/electric sanders, grinders, drills & other such tools of various brands to open a hardware store. And yes, I own quite a few tools from Harbor Freight, as well.

Now, to my final point: folks often denigrate Craftman tools, and perhaps with good reason because of their experience with them. I won't do the same, however. I have used mine a LOT, especially the table & radial arm saws, shaper, joiner and bandsaw, yet I haven't had ONE issue --that;s NONE, NADA, ZILCH, NIL, ZERO -- with any one of them. In fact, as of yet, I haven't even had to replace any of the motor brushes, and only a few months ago replaced the belt on my 35 yr. old table saw for the first time because it had dried out..

I'm done.

One end of the 22' long kitchen

glassdoors.jpg

Last edited:

woods89

WKR
Not to speak for the guy you're replying to, but on commercial sites I've worked on guys like to use impacts for everything because they're easier. Almost a crutch. The problem isn't with the impact, it's with the user. I've seen tapcons snapped off more times than I can count, but have also seen guys put door hardware on with impacts and run those things till a metal door crumples, or till they ring off hinge screws. Some guys even use them on cabinet hardware - "Oh, I'll just jog it in." It's fine if the guy knows what he's doing and is being careful, but most of the time there's a big hurry and stuff happens. And we're not exactly in the golden age of "guys who know what they're doing." If I had my way, all the impacts would leave a jobsite once the building's dried in and we'd all use drills with clutch settings.
Guilty as charged here!

But I've used impacts a long time and like to think I'm familiar with those triggers. Still bites me occasionally, though.

And you are absolutely correct about the rarity of "guys who know what they're doing."