Power tools

Superdoo

WKR
Tool Shop at Menards!
As a former Hilti salesman, my tools are still red. They just cost 1/4 of the other brands.;)

Don't put too much stock in that Ridgid warranty. It's pretty useless. They will tell you to take it to Home Depot for warranty appraisal, for $30, per tool. Better off waiting for a sale on Dewalt or Milwaukee. I own both and have beat the crap out of them, they keep going. Milwaukee batteries have better longevity in my opinion. Either of them backs their tools up, and they honor their warranties with no games. Milwaukee, you show up with a broken tool you bought at a pawnshop, as long as its within 5 years of the manufacture date, they will repair or replace it. Dewalt won't send a tool back unless it meets manufacturer spec. Bought a used $700+ chop saw, needed a $30 part from them, took it in, they said $30-40. Picked it up, they said the motor needed to be replaced to meet spec ($350+), charged me for the original quote, fully rebuilt my saw. But for light duty, Ridgid is fine, and cheaper for your use, used them for a long time until they died one by one. Now their corded tools, I've had great luck with, and if I need something like a tile saw to use for a week every few years, they are money. Also never had any issues with any Makita or Porter Cable tools. Ryobi is like the Harbor Freight tools, maybe you get a good one, and it lasts awhile, but for automotive stuff, I would get at least a decent set, buy once cry once. I am in commercial construction, for reference and 80% of our guys use either the red or yellow tools. Orange tools are generally starter tools for the apprentices.

yfarm

WKR
My most used power tool is a 1/4” impact driver corded, have Porter Cable and Makita. Power delivered at the bit outperforms any battery powered driver I have used. Unfortunately are going out of existence due to the convenience issue.

chaser_2332

Lil-Rokslider
I’m an electrical contractor and I’m pretty positive all the brands are garbage. We have or had most brands and for the last several years we have pretty much ran Milwaukee for basic tool kits handed out to the guys. Even with that i have to keep several new kits on standby because they are a revolving door between tool and battery failure. For personal use I’d have zero issue buying whatever brand ur local stores carries and feel good about it.

Dunndm

WKR
If it’s household, go get the Ryobi set. It’s like 399 and it’ll come with everything you’ll ever need.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jakerex

WKR
You can get a huge porter cable set on Amazon for a good price. Cousin has them and really likes em.

I got a Bosch set a long time ago and it’s still going strong.

I really like the ergonomics of the 18v Bosch. Some of the new tools are too damn big and heavy. Dont need more than 18v for home use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Bosch. I’ve had the same set for 11 years…going strong still.

Plus I bought one of their little 12v sets, oh man. Super nice for around the house stuff.

D S 319

WKR
Home Depot had some good deals on Milwaukee tools. Ordered a 10 piece set for $450 bucks off.

I own probably 35-40 Miluwakee cordless tools, m18 and m12.

Look at what everyone offers, things you might want down the road. Not just the 3 you want right now.

And I can't believe that more people haven't said it... But handle all the brands you can. Bosch makes great stuff, but I generally dislike their ergonomics.

The lower tier tools like Ryobi/Rigid/Porter Cable/Craftsman etc are fine for light use, but they are less powerful, usually more clunky, etc.

WoodBow

WKR
I did not read any of the replies but just wanted to add that the knock off batteries from amazon are great. I drug my feet on my buying bigger batteries for my dewalts because they are so expensive. Finally rolled the dice and bought some knock offs from amazon. Got 2 6ah batteries for $60 total and they work as good or better than my dewalt batteries.

Top147

Lil-Rokslider
Millwrights (at my place of work) use Milwaukee at work and most of them run the Ryobi line for their home projects.

I bought a small combo Milwaukee set 5 or 6 years ago. The M18 Drill and the 1/4" driver. I use the drill more often the driver, but when I need the driver its there and it works really well. It doesn't however seem to have enough power to replace a 1/2" impact gun though, i give it a drive here and there on car repairs and it doesn't typically work, but thats not really what its intended for. Also I have had the same 2 batteries since purchase and as long as I always have 1 battery on the charger I am never without a battery, they last a long time and charge quickly. For example I put a huge Costco playground set together that took hours and was never without a battery.

Don't put too much stock in that Ridgid warranty. It's pretty useless. They will tell you to take it to Home Depot for warranty appraisal, for $30, per tool. Better off waiting for a sale on Dewalt or Milwaukee. I own both and have beat the crap out of them, they keep going. Milwaukee batteries have better longevity in my opinion. Either of them backs their tools up, and they honor their warranties with no games. Milwaukee, you show up with a broken tool you bought at a pawnshop, as long as its within 5 years of the manufacture date, they will repair or replace it. Dewalt won't send a tool back unless it meets manufacturer spec. Bought a used $700+ chop saw, needed a $30 part from them, took it in, they said $30-40. Picked it up, they said the motor needed to be replaced to meet spec ($350+), charged me for the original quote, fully rebuilt my saw. But for light duty, Ridgid is fine, and cheaper for your use, used them for a long time until they died one by one. Now their corded tools, I've had great luck with, and if I need something like a tile saw to use for a week every few years, they are money. Also never had any issues with any Makita or Porter Cable tools. Ryobi is like the Harbor Freight tools, maybe you get a good one, and it lasts awhile, but for automotive stuff, I would get at least a decent set, buy once cry once. I am in commercial construction, for reference and 80% of our guys use either the red or yellow tools. Orange tools are generally starter tools for the apprentices.
second the Milwaukee battery longevity, thats probably what I have been most impressed with

I feel like if I was going to buy another set, this would likely be it. It seems to have everything that I would ever really need. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauk...teries-Charger-and-Tool-Bag-2499-25/315415371
For $200 on sale, that is a great kit. The 12v tools are good for most things, unless you are drilling tons of holes through steel, or doing a lot of cutting where you need the batteries to last for hours. Then the 18v are definitely head and shoulders above. Most of my guys own both, and carry the 12v stuff most of the time for lighter work.

You can also go on Home Depot's website and build kits, they have a ton more Milwaukee and Dewalt kits then you see in the store.

Around the house stuff, the new Ryobi stuff is actually really good. (Note: the new Ryobi stuff for sale in Home Depot today.)

Ridgid is essentially on the same level as Mikwaukee, Makita, DeWalt or Bosch, even though guys like to pretend they are lesser.

I have used Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita and Bosch professionally as a contractor.

I now use everything Makita (cordless tools) and will likely never change that.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
I run a ridgid impact of my brother in laws, with a 9amp hour battery, against a Milwaukee 1/4” impact with a 4amp hour battery, putting 8” timber lock bolts into ties. The Milwaukee run the bolt into the tie in less then 9 seconds. The ridgid took over 19. Battery saws, Sawzaw, drills, etc… all showed the same results.

There is nothing ridgid makes that compares to Makita, DEWALT, or Milwaukee. The price and performance indicate that. Not saying the ridgid isn’t good. But, there is a reason the others cost more. And are found in most professional users tool collection over the ridgid.

This. Ridgid makes a great corded tool that will withstand years of use. The cordless sets gets replaced as can be afforded. By everyone who uses tools to make a living.