Power tools

tony

WKR
Looking to pick up some new power tools and had a few questions.

My use is around the house and light automotive work. Needless to say, these might get used once a month or so.
Been looking at the Milwaukee M12 series of tools.
Any thoughts of the Rigid line? I know they offer a LT warranty and battery replacement for life of the tool. They are bigger in size and 18 volts. I like the idea of what rigid is offering as I wont use the tools a whole lot and the battery replacement might be a good idea?

Big question- the driver offered in the combo packs I see, can this be used as a drill as well? Does it work as an impact as well? Is there a reason they are 1/4 inch?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
For basic household stuff and occasional use, rigid is fine. Might even look at Ryobi, my buddy just got a whole ryobi set that uses the same batteries for a few hundred bucks.

Milwaukee and desalt are definetly more durable and would last longer in a commercial setting but for basic stuff, you will be fine with the lower end. Don’t need a Milwaukee fuel drill to put together a bookshelf from Amazon or drill a hole for a drywall anchor.

Whatever you do, I’d make sure you stick with a brand so you only ever need one type of battery/charger. I like the idea of the ryobi set my buddy has for what it’s intended use is. Looks like Amazon has some good ryobi sets for a few hundred bucks. That would do a guy well for a lifetime of basic home ownership tasks.

I am in a similar situation as you. I have power tools that I use a couple times a month and a few big projects each year. I own a couple Dewalt tools and the rest are Porter Cable (from Lowes). Honestly man, the cheaper Porter tools have done everything I've needed of them for the last 5 years. The original batteries still perform great and knock-off batteries are cheap as hell on Amazon.

Just throwing it out there!

Maverick1

WKR
Good summaries above. One other thing to consider is a number of power tool companies also offer heated gear clothing as well, specifically dewalt and Milwaukee. Something to consider. (I have several Milwaukee tools and they are great, along with a heated hoodie). Pricier than the rigid tools, for sure, but high quality items. Nice to have interchangeable batteries, only need one charger.

Rob960

Lil-Rokslider
I am in a similar situation as you. I have power tools that I use a couple times a month and a few big projects each year. I own a couple Dewalt tools and the rest are Porter Cable (from Lowes). Honestly man, the cheaper Porter tools have done everything I've needed of them for the last 5 years. The original batteries still perform great and knock-off batteries are cheap as hell on Amazon.

Just throwing it out there!
I have the Porter Cable tools from Lowe's as well and they perform extremely well. My impact driver sees the most use/abuse and runs like a champ. In their corded tools I have an angle grinder and sawz-all. Both run like champs as well.

Jbxl20

WKR
I use the brushless dewalt for home/work. The 1/4” drive is my main tool I use all the time as a screw gun, drill and driver. As long your drill bits have a 1/4” quick change shank they will work.

Augie

Lil-Rokslider
Personally I use both DeWalt and Milwaukee tools but I beat on them and I got them on sale. For light duty tasks around the house I'd buy whatever brand you can in a combo pack that includes several batteries. Driver/impact takes 1/4 inch quick change shanks for ease of use and security as apposed to the chuck on a normal drill for high speed/high torque applications. That's my take on it anyways

Coffindaffer

Lil-Rokslider
They're all fine.

I've found Dewalt to be the compromise of value and quality.

Ryobi stuff is a little "cheap". Milwaukee tools are great, but expensive. Dewalt seems to be the happy medium. Keep an eye out and you'll find a deal on one of those multiple tool, multiple battery starter kits.

Once you pick a brand, stick with it because of the batteries.

Brooks

WKR
Milwaukee tools are great tools and that’s is what a lot of industrial contractors use, but all brands work. Keep an eye out for sales. I picked up a Milwaukee battery charger and two 18 volt batteries for &199 and you could have your pick of several tools at no charge. I took a 1/2 impact on that deal 4 months later they had the same deal and I got 2 more 18V batteries and charger and this time a nice Multi tool.

My m12 fuels h go everywhere with me. I use mine for the same you will, occasionally home repairs, working on truck, boat, atv, sxs, and the see the most use on the camper. Like them so much I sold my Ridgid set I had sitting. They were heavy for my use. Repairs took weeks to get back.

M12 put the jacks down and up on the camper with easy work. For me I see no reason to get the higher volt drills at the time.

Plus the m12 has a 1/2 impact that will knock the nuts off all the trailers I use. Some of the $$ from the Ridgid kit paid for it.

$179 on sale right now. Got mine for $199 with extra battery. Home Depot puts them on sale.

Ridged fan here. They have held up extremely well in the homeowner/light commercial setting. I started with the drill/driver kit and have added bare tools when on sale. You mentioned automotive, ridged has a line of impacts that work well and are less expensive.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
For your intended purposes the Milwaukee M12 will be great and last you for years to come. I always cringe at recommendations for Ryobi and other lower brands, however for most people's purposes it will do everything they need the tool to do and last them as well.

If your looking for a hard use tool then it's a completely different tool level. Even DeWalt and Milwaukee offer lower tiers on their 18 and 20v lineups, which is what you see go on sale most times at the larger box stores.

hunterjmj

WKR
I've run Makita for 20+ years and like others have said, stick with one. I have about 14 batteries now and a bunch of chargers. When tool only sales come out you can get good deals especially when you have a pile of batteries.

hunt1up

WKR
It's sort of like what brand of truck you like. I have buddy's that are die hard Milwaukee and others that use all Dewalt or Makita. I have all Dewalt 20V Max stuff. I don't use my stuff every day but they've seen some semi-commercial type use in remodeling two houses and some other projects. Every piece works great and none have crapped out. I've got drill, impact, impact driver, hammer drilll vacuum, power washer, jigsaw, circular saw, chain saw, and more. All do a good job.

You can get the nicer stuff on sale if you look for deals around holidays as well. Check ebay for replacement batteries. MUCH cheaper and they work just fine.

Billogna

Lil-Rokslider
In the long run you will only ever be disappointed with Ryobi... Get the best tools you can reasonably afford. Later down the road if you decide to tackle a bigger project or a buddy needs help you won't be short changed. Pick a good brand (Milwaukee, Makita, DeWalt..etc) and get started. There will be great Black Friday sales on most of the major brands when you can upgrade your set!! OH!! and get the largest amp hour batteries they make!! having em run dead on you mid project SUCKS!!!

grfox92

WKR
Around the house stuff, the new Ryobi stuff is actually really good. (Note: the new Ryobi stuff for sale in Home Depot today.)

Ridgid is essentially on the same level as Mikwaukee, Makita, DeWalt or Bosch, even though guys like to pretend they are lesser.

I have used Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita and Bosch professionally as a contractor.

I now use everything Makita (cordless tools) and will likely never change that.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

hunterjmj

WKR
Around the house stuff, the new Ryobi stuff is actually really good. (Note: the new Ryobi stuff for sale in Home Depot today.)

Ridgid is essentially on the same level as Mikwaukee, Makita, DeWalt or Bosch, even though guys like to pretend they are lesser.

I have used Milwaukee, DeWalt, Makita and Bosch professionally as a contractor.

I now use everything Makita (cordless tools) and will likely never change that.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
My wife kept buying these piece of crap dust busters for the house so I finally bought her the little cordless Makita shop vac. That thing is the chit and I have to ask to use it now.