Powerbelt bullet reviews--members needed

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Roksliders
As part of my CVA Wolf muzzleloader test thread, Powerbelt supplied me with more bullets than I needed. I need a few trusted members to shoot these and give us all some feedback.

I have (2) packs of the 295 gr. 50 cal Pure Lead (NW legal) bullets.
PB295Lead.jpg

and

(3) packs of 348 gr. 50 cal Copper bullets

PB348Copper.jpg

Anyone got any season or range sessions to give these a try?

Hit me up below on what you got for opps and I'll pick a few members to get these out.

Do remember that if you take the gear, we expect you to give us your feedback. I've banned members for taking gear and then not posting. Please don't get stars in your eyes and take the bullets if you won't be able to post in a reasonable amount of time, preferrably within a week of receiving the bullets.

Thanks!

@BPI_Outdoors

UtahJimmy

WKR
Only 50 cal testers needed? I'd be happy to help out if you need reviews with 45!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

i can review them without the freebies: they load well, shoot well at range, hit where you aim, and then.... they pancake on impact and do not give you the penetration needed to effectively kill large game animals. they will kill a deer but not every elk you shoot at, regardless of distance. this has been my experience with the platinum aero tip powerbelts.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
i can review them without the freebies: they load well, shoot well at range, hit where you aim, and then.... they pancake on impact and do not give you the penetration needed to effectively kill large game animals. they will kill a deer but not every elk you shoot at, regardless of distance. this has been my experience with the platinum aero tip powerbelts.

hey thanks for chiming in but I don’t believe platinum‘s are what I’m showing above. Those are the coppers. Correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jt4

WKR
I’ve got a CVA Optima that I have been shooting 300g powerbelt aerolites out of. Took a doe this year with them. My muzzleloader season is over but I'd be happy to test either or both bullets at the range vs the aerolites for accuracy and send them at my steel target to see how they mushroom on impact.

Also have access to a knight (not sure which exact model) muzzy I could shoot them from for comparison.

Jmort1754

WKR
We have 2 seasons left here in the east 10 day muzzleloader season in ny and 4 day season in Ohio. As long as no video is required.

MThuntr

WKR
I'd give the plain lead ones a try. They'd be legal in MT in the weapons restricted areas.

I could give them a try in a 50cal caplock using black powder and in a 50 cal inline with Blackhorn 209. There may be an extended deer season in a CWD area of SW MT but timelines are still unknown.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
If you need someone else I could. Muzzy season starts in a week, and I'll have plenty of range time after that.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
OK looks like we got plenty responses here. Thanks everyone. Hit me with a PM on shipping address and which bullets you could take. If it’s lead or copper or either.

And someone asked if “video required?“

No. I’ll just have you guys post your thoughts on this thread.

Nothing too serious. Just would like to get some more feedback on these being that we didn’t get to kill anything with one. Thanks everybody

JonS

WKR
If you need anyone else to try, I recently got a triumph and these shot well in my tc Encore in 348 gr, would love to try the 295's for deer.
Hope all are well and they shoot and work well

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
If you need anyone else to try, I recently got a triumph and these shot well in my tc Encore in 348 gr, would love to try the 295's for deer.

ah dang man, just filled up last night. I’ll keep you in mind if we get more ops. good luck with that Encore.

JonS

WKR
ah dang man, just filled up last night. I’ll keep you in mind if we get more ops. good luck with that Encore.

Going to try the Triumph as it’s lighter and may work just as well. Thanks and have a great one!
Remember that if someone is willing to learn, there’s nothing you can do to stop them. However, if they’re not willing to learn, there’s nothing you can do to help them!

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
hey man, looks like I have a pack of 295 leads for you. PM me name and address.

FrontierGander

Lil-Rokslider
Did a ton of testing/reviewing for cva myself over the years and those lead 295gr powerbelts were the worst of the bunch. Horrible lead fouling, 70gr 2fg max charge otherwise they literally were turned into dust. Ended up making my own mold to cast inserts for the powerbelts to keep them together regardless of the charge used or the distance shot.

Their way,
000_0613.jpg

My way
PowerbeltInsert159.jpg

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Did a ton of testing/reviewing for cva myself over the years and those lead 295gr powerbelts were the worst of the bunch. Horrible lead fouling, 70gr 2fg max charge otherwise they literally were turned into dust. Ended up making my own mold to cast inserts for the powerbelts to keep them together regardless of the charge used or the distance shot.

Their way,
View attachment 241294

My way
View attachment 241295
thanks for the feedback.

Liking your personal results!

jt4

WKR
Shooting a CVA Optima off a front bag only at 100 yards. I’m zeroed at 50 so I did holdover on each shot. All were with 2 pellets of IMR white hots, so 100 grains.

First 3 shots were with 300gr Aerolites that I used this year to take a doe. Three shot group came out just OK, but the first shot was just a “click” I’m assuming bc of a little moisture in the charge. Put a new primer in and everything was fine. (4th shot which is right in the top center was me checking to make sure my scope wasn’t off after I shot the 295 gr lead HPs)

e9ed9da0e022215e026c9b28e15a00d2.jpg

Ran a soft brush down the barrel with a little oil and moved onto the 295 gr lead HPs. 1st shot a little high right, 2nd shot high left use off the top of the paper, 3rd shot is about 8” above that and to the left. This is when I took the 4th shot with the aero lite bullets to make sure my scope wasn’t shifting on me. As you can see it wasn’t. Had my friend shoot these out of his Knight muzzy. His first shot hit right with mine, 2nd and 3rd are the other two on the target. Not impressed at all with these.

a243396e27a7d81dce89ce5443507048.jpg

Same quick cleaning process and onto the 348gr copper jacket HPs. 1st shot felt a little flinched which is the high left, 2nd is right elevation just a bit left and 3rd is pretty much bullseye. I’m very pleased with these and would like to try them out next season.

f1fc030ea80acdf1cd2f4566550f53c8.jpg

I’m going to give the gun a decent cleaning and go back this week to shoot both the 295 and 348 gr leads again and the 348 copper jacket again to give the lead another fair shake with a clean barrel and will give another update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Shooting a CVA Optima off a front bag only at 100 yards. I’m zeroed at 50 so I did holdover on each shot. All were with 2 pellets of IMR white hots, so 100 grains.

First 3 shots were with 300gr Aerolites that I used this year to take a doe. Three shot group came out just OK, but the first shot was just a “click” I’m assuming bc of a little moisture in the charge. Put a new primer in and everything was fine. (4th shot which is right in the top center was me checking to make sure my scope wasn’t off after I shot the 295 gr lead HPs)

e9ed9da0e022215e026c9b28e15a00d2.jpg

Ran a soft brush down the barrel with a little oil and moved onto the 295 gr lead HPs. 1st shot a little high right, 2nd shot high left use off the top of the paper, 3rd shot is about 8” above that and to the left. This is when I took the 4th shot with the aero lite bullets to make sure my scope wasn’t shifting on me. As you can see it wasn’t. Had my friend shoot these out of his Knight muzzy. His first shot hit right with mine, 2nd and 3rd are the other two on the target. Not impressed at all with these.

a243396e27a7d81dce89ce5443507048.jpg

Same quick cleaning process and onto the 348gr copper jacket HPs. 1st shot felt a little flinched which is the high left, 2nd is right elevation just a bit left and 3rd is pretty much bullseye. I’m very pleased with these and would like to try them out next season.

f1fc030ea80acdf1cd2f4566550f53c8.jpg

I’m going to give the gun a decent cleaning and go back this week to shoot both the 295 and 348 gr leads again and the 348 copper jacket again to give the lead another fair shake with a clean barrel and will give another update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hey man thanks for the quick turnaround on the review. That pretty much followed what I experienced with the 295s as well.

They didn’t shoot well at all, but the 348‘s were much better.

I’ll watch for your next range day.

Again, thank you

Jmort1754

WKR
Hey all, so here is my set up and what I currently shoot.

Vortex striker fire with enlarged flash hole
Leupold 1.75-6
Black horn 209
CCI 209 M

Normally shoot pt gold 260s in the harvester smooth sabot.

Shoots 1 MOA

348 powebelt

This bullet loads easy, very little pressure needed.

Tried multiple different times with the 348 powebelt could not get reliable ignition. The gun would go off with a full report every few shots. This fits with my previous experience with the PT golds and crush rib sabots.

It appears that this gun with black horn requires a higher load pressure.

Unfortunately I did not have any other powder.

I will try to get some more done when I get back home out of covid land with my brothers CVA Optima.