Practice Ammo

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I have been purchasing some Atomic ammunition for the range to use in my .308. It costs $1.55 a round which isn't cheap but still way more affordable than the rounds I hunt with. While at the range today I had 2 misfires, I have never experienced this before. It got me thinking if I should be avoiding more "affordable" ammunition. Is there anything wrong with buying cheap ammo to practice with as long as I know what my rifle prefers and have my scope set for the good stuff when hunting? Anything I should be avoiding or looking for when buying ammo online to practice with?

If you can afford it, and it shoots good enough out of your rifle for your needs, rock on with it. I've got a few rifles I feed cheaper stuff, and I know it's not as great as what I like to shoot.. but it works for practice. I make notes of where to adjust my optics for both, and double check before taking those rifles hunting.

What are you wanting to achieve when practicing?

If your only objective is to shoot, them ammo quality doesn’t matter.

If your objective is to improve shooting fundamentals, then ammo quality doesn’t matter. Hell, there have been Olympic shooting teams that relied on dry fire exercises for the bulk of their preparation.

If your objective is to get better by a training program like Form’s, then ammo quality is important but not necessarily required.

List can go on and on.

Lots of lower-cost options to help improve your shooting proficiency.