Practice Arrows and Hunting Arrows

Evening Gents,

Got one of those kind of questions. Is it a cardinal sin or just bad practice to hunt with your practice arrows? When I am practicing I shoot one arrow at a single spot and then pick another spot for the next arrow. My 3D deer looks like swiss cheese as it has holes all over it, but I don't put multiple arrows into the same spot. I hunt with the same arrows that I practice with as I build them from bare shafts.

What do you think good game plan or no and if no why?

OP
N
I am with you I want to make sure they fly true and hit where I intend them too, broadhead or field point. Some of the guys at work were saying they have separate arrows for hunting and practice. I didn't understand their thinking unless they are piling one on top of the other. Thanks

I keep 1/2 dozen or so as my hunting arrows. I use them tuning with broadheads so I'm certain they fly right, but then have different arrows, frequently not as straight spec'd for my practice arrows.

Just cause I like bright fletching on practice and dull/dark frequently for hunting.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Some of the guys at work were saying they have separate arrows for hunting and practice. I didn't understand their thinking unless they are piling one on top of the other.
I shoot all my arrows that I have fletched up year round, and then pick 5 to go in the quiver come September. Most of my shooting is at 40+ and I always shoot groups. I do replace a lot of vanes and nocks, but the arrows always seem to survive and still spin true. I always have several bare shaft extras in case I need to replace any. But right now I only have 6 of my current arrows fletched up, which should be fine as long as they all shoot BH's well.

Catahoula

WKR
Same arrows for both practice, hunting and occasional 3D. Generally pick 6-8 of those arrows to shoot with broadheads the month of August if in fact I know I have a tag for September.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
if I get a dozen new arrows I number them, spin them and set aside all the ones that spin true and the insert is nice and square, and make a note of those numbers in my phone. Confirm they all fly true with field points, and then I’ll set aside six of those for my hunting arrows. I’ll later confirm those all fly true with a broadhead as well. I then have a quiver full of arrows for hunting that I’m not gonna lose/break practicing.

If I need to replace a hunting arrow I look at my note and grab one of the “good” numbered arrows from the practice pile and stick it in the quiver. I can go back to an older batch if I have to (same arrow setup).

Evening Gents,

Got one of those kind of questions. Is it a cardinal sin or just bad practice to hunt with your practice arrows? When I am practicing I shoot one arrow at a single spot and then pick another spot for the next arrow. My 3D deer looks like swiss cheese as it has holes all over it, but I don't put multiple arrows into the same spot. I hunt with the same arrows that I practice with as I build them from bare shafts.

What do you think good game plan or no and if no why?
i generally shoot one or 2 arrows at a time, so i always have a couple arrows i just shoot foam with, and a bunch that may be hunting or target arrows.... no real system for me, i just make sure i have plenty of arrows around.... i don't think there is a right or wrong way honestly... i of course shoot every arrow i plan to hunt with, with the broadhead that will live on that arrow, all are spun first, shooting them is just confirmation....

one thing that i do that may be a little different is shooting a bare shaft with my target arrows.... easier on targets than shooting broadheads, and tells you a lot more... i shoot a fairly heavy hunting arrow (not crazy heavy) and with weight comes a reduction in speed, and with a reduction in speed, it's a more forgiving platform with fixed heads, so i like shooting bareshafts every time i shoot to make sure everything is dialed (tune and form)

again, no real right or wrong way

Blandry

WKR
If you practice and hunt with different arrows its not responsible unless you spend a LOT of hours between the two.

Blandry

WKR
I agree.. I've had some resistance here on this site. however we shoot out to 60+ yards then all these conversations start. I'm from south Louisiana myself (lafayette).

Maz7869

FNG
I have about 20 arrows right now and use them for both that way I’m all set either way and know every arrow is good to go. Ditch any arrows that don’t spin or shoot true

Brooks051

Lil-Rokslider
Make a dozen arrows exactly the same. Practice with 6 and hunt with 6. I have no problems with this approach.

N2TRKYS

WKR
I make 4 to 6 arrows, depending on my quiver, and only use those for hunting. Been doing this since I started bowhunting and never had an issue with it.

Jumpman

FNG
Certainly no issues. I personally like using the same arrows because of repetition. However, during the summer months when I’m going to courses/places I don’t know, I like to use cheaper but similar spec arrows so I’m not upset if I lose one or something.

Wapiti1

WKR
I have never sorted them. All get shot with a broadhead to cull out bad apples, then I just grab and go. My practice arrows typically end up as hunting arrows immediately since I know they are good to go.

Jeremy

Noogman

FNG
I have five arrows that sit in my quiver all hunting season with broadheads on them. I'll confirm these are flying straight and spinning true before slapping on a broadhead.

I have six plus practice arrows, and in that group there are arrows that I will use for hunting if I bust a quiver arrow while taking an animal. They're fletched differently so I can tell the difference.

Sanchez

Lil-Rokslider
The only thing I can add is when I buy a dozen arrows I weigh them all and for hunting only use those that are almost exactly the same weight.