"Practice" Backcountry Hunt for Grouse in CO or NM - Any recommendations?

So I've only been hunting for 2 seasons and have been getting my feet wet in the backcountry by chasing birds in remote areas. I'd love to get into hunting muleys and elk in the long run, but for now I'm pretty happy just learning to run around the mountains solo for a few days without killing myself.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations for fun areas in northern New Mexico or southern Colorado to get into blue grouse. I'm looking at dates between mid-September and late October, a designated wilderness or roadless area with some pretty and challenging terrain would be ideal. Obviously not looking for honey holes or GPS coordinates, but if you've got the name of a national forest in mind when it comes to these birds during this timeframe, I'd love to hear it.

p.s. shooting subsonics .22 in case any bowhunters are worried about me shotgunning around their prospective trophies up there.

dromero

FNG
Hunting ruffed grouse in WA state, (which might be a totally different bird to hunt) we typically find them on old logging roads, at times you can find their dirt baths and I also believe they go to the old roads to eat smaller gravel for their gizzards. Elk hunted two weeks in September...didn't shoot an elk but saw 3-6 grouse every day, would have been better off taking the .22 with me instead of the bow!!

Wrench

WKR
Hunting ruffed grouse in WA state, (which might be a totally different bird to hunt) we typically find them on old logging roads, at times you can find their dirt baths and I also believe they go to the old roads to eat smaller gravel for their gizzards. Elk hunted two weeks in September...didn't shoot an elk but saw 3-6 grouse every day, would have been better off taking the .22 with me instead of the bow!!
You had the right tool....Screenshot_20220920-082911_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220920-082941_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220920-082953_Gallery.jpg

OP
S
Here in Idaho you can’t walk a mile without kicking up grouse. Gotta think southern CO is the same in that regard.
Sorry for the late reply here, had a computer crap out on me and just restored my account. Idaho is big on my list for a bird hunt, looks beautiful up there.