Practice Break?

Pro953

WKR
Do any of you practice with a break and then pull it off for field use? I have a 300 Win that is starting to wear on me when I have longer range days with multiple rifles. I consistently battle a flinch as it is. I have always been a jumpy person.

I would like to see if a break would help for load devlopment and longer range days, but I would love to save what hearing I have left.

I may re-barrel in the next year so I could just do this at the same time. If not, any break recommendations or a standard Tikka contour. That way if the break does not help, I can go with something heavier when I re-barrel.

Thanks,
Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Another thing to consider, practice with you equipment as you’ll use them hunting, if you use a mb to practice you may create a flinch when it’s removed.

Lawnboi

WKR
Amount of recoil (brake on vs brake off) will have real effects on how easy the rifle is to shoot in the field. Practice how your going to hunt is my opinion. Recoil will magnify some errors in the shooters fundamentals.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
You’ll have a poi change, I just leave my mb on.

Do you run plugs when hunting or just risk the extra pop to the ears, or is in not as bad behind the rifle vs when you are next to one. I hate shooting next to a break when I am at a range. I hunt solo 99% of the time so it’s not much of a concern for a hunting partner, just want to keep my ears as safe as reasonably possible.

tdhanses

WKR
Do you run plugs when hunting or just risk the extra pop to the ears, or is in not as bad behind the rifle vs when you are next to one. I hate shooting next to a break when I am at a range. I hunt solo 99% of the time so it’s not much of a concern for a hunting partner, just want to keep my ears as safe as reasonably possible.

I have plugs but the pop isn’t as bad behind it, just don’t shoot without protection all the time, once here and there isn’t going to do much.

...once here and there isn’t going to do much.
Very wrong.

I did load development with a break with the intention of taking it off for hunting. Then I decided to just hunt with it. I was in a hurry once and shot it without my ear muffs on. Never again, not even once. Took it off and dont plan to put it back on. My POI shift with it removed was substantial.

tdhanses

WKR
Very wrong.

I did load development with a break with the intention of taking it off for hunting. Then I decided to just hunt with it. I was in a hurry once and shot it without my ear muffs on. Never again, not even once. Took it off and dont plan to put it back on. My POI shift with it removed was substantial.
I‘ve done it a few times, guess my ears aren’t as sensitive as yours but I still have perfect hearing. But it only takes a second to put plugs in, I always have them around my neck.

OP
P

Pro953

WKR
Very wrong.

A few grandparents that were pilots in past lives and my fear of long term ear damage is substantial.

When everyone says POI shift, are you speaking to
Loads performing/grouping differently or simply a poi change for the group?

My goal is to use it for load development in an attempt to minimize some of my weaknesses, then I can always re-zero once a land on my new load etc... but maybe a (or many) flaws in that theory.

sndmn11

WKR
I have some surefire defenders in the top elastic of my bino harness for quick access, and carry electric walkers in my packs hip pouch. Easy easy solutions.

w squared

FNG
If you're battling with a flinch shooting a magnum, maybe shift to something that has recoil that is not as punishing? Shot placement definitely trumps muzzle energy.

tdot

WKR
If you are a jumpy person, then a muzzle brake may not help you. The increased noise/shock wave back to the shooter can be substantial, hence the need for ear plugs. I'd think that staying away from brakes that are directed back at the shooter may be something for you to consider. My brakes with slots 90 degrees to the barrel are noticeably more pleasant to shoot then the heavily angled brakes.

I didn't want a brake on my 300wm, and after 30-40 rounds or multiple repeated days on the range I would start to become more aware of the recoil. To prevent a flinch I started to use a recoil oad on my shoulder that duck hunters use. It was reasonably effective and made a difference on those long days behind the rifle.

Michael54

WKR
Very wrong.

I wont hunt near someone using a break. My wifes 7mm08 (gun raffle win that nobody bothered to have taken off) has one and shot while i was in the blind next to her.....my plugs must not have been seated right because it was bad enough she got a new gun...