Practice during the off season

Yesterday I went out to a a remote area of California to scout for turkey season. It looked promising from e scouting with great habitat of rolling hills covered with grasslands, oak groves, and plenty of running creeks. I saw zero turkey sign, but immediately started seeing lots of deer tracks. It didn’t take long before I saw a herd of 16 deer on a ridge. After that it seemed I couldn’t stop finding deer. I literally found a group of seven, feeding on an opposite hill side, as soon as I looked through my binoculars. Turns out I’d stumbled upon their winter grounds. They’ll be gone by the summer, but it was a great experience for me being a new hunter.

I stalked within 30 yards of a buck to practice for archery season. This was my first time getting that close to one. I planned my route, walked quietly, and paid attention to the wind. He stood broadside and if he’d been in season, etc... I would’ve had a great shot.

I only got in about two miles and was only able to scout a small percentage of the land. I’m going back to see if I can find any turkeys further in. I’m wondering if it makes sense to practice spotting/stalking the deer or if I should leave them alone? Like I said this is their winter grounds and they’ll be long gone by the time the season opens. I don’t plan on hunting this area this season. I’m also under no illusions that their behavior now is very different than during the season.

Attachments

• 189F0159-6F23-4B0A-8BB1-C896777E6EBF.jpeg
    189F0159-6F23-4B0A-8BB1-C896777E6EBF.jpeg
    464.7 KB · Views: 44
You're in Ca, what off season. I mean you can hunt pigs all year long and that country looks piggy to me. But hey, if you are after turkey, I would concentrate on them, as you will see plenty of deer in doing that.

OP
SkiParkGuy
You're in Ca, what off season. I mean you can hunt pigs all year long and that country looks piggy to me. But hey, if you are after turkey, I would concentrate on them, as you will see plenty of deer in doing that.

Good point. I’ve never seen pigs this far north, but I am keeping an eye out for them too. I guess my question is really about my affect on the deer. I almost feel like I should leave them alone, as best I can, during the winter so they can rest and be healthy for the upcoming year. I don’t want to be that guy that does something and then learn I should’ve steered clear.

WKR

WKR
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing. Deer get hunted all year long by better predators than humans so you might push the deer around a little bit if you get busted but you aren't hurting anything. Just sharpening your skill set is all.

As far as the turkeys go have you tried getting them to shock gobble with a coyote or crow call?
That would really help you to locate them or find out if they are in the area.

OP
SkiParkGuy
I don't think there's anything wrong with what you're doing. Deer get hunted all year long by better predators than humans so you might push the deer around a little bit if you get busted but you aren't hurting anything. Just sharpening your skill set is all.

As far as the turkeys go have you tried getting them to shock gobble with a coyote or crow call?
That would really help you to locate them or find out if they are in the area.

awesome thanks!

Yep. I tried. Still found no evidence of them, but I know they’re around the general area. I had to slam on my brakes to keep from running over six of em on the road going home. Ha!

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not sure how far north you are but there are plenty of pigs up here!!

Attachments

• IMG_8542.JPG
    IMG_8542.JPG
    417.5 KB · Views: 14

1stSgt M

Lil-Rokslider
He was one of the smaller ones. Since the fires they are showing up more and more....

I think it can be a great way to get to know the animal and its behavior better, including how it moves over terrain, distance and signs they are going into high alert, types of cover they like, etc. Just don't stress them out and/or blow up the areas; I personally like to spot and watch from a safe distance and not try to see how close I can get with stalking for practice. But if you spend enough time out, sometimes you'll run into one really close, anyway.

Here's a small Blacktail I came across this weekend, maybe 20 feet away (obviously not in California, lol).

170703531_566699574230712_6317796806017222590_n.jpg