Practice shots vs. hunting shots each year

I used to shoot a fair amount at the range when I was an annual member, but the management started doing some screwy stuff trying to bring in more money, then this past spring the annual fee went from $200 to $350. Needless to say, I dumped my membership when it was due, and now I only shoot when I go down to the cabin. So, all that said, I probably won’t be shooting nearly as much as I used to. Oh, and I haven’t shot a single round at game this year...but Kodiak is only a month away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phew y'all are crazy, I shoot maybe a box of 20 to check zero and call it good. For some reason, I'm a self-labeled "terrible" range shot (can't ever shoot touching groups) but knock every deer down.

Probably the odd man out though, I really truly hate shooting my rifles at the range and around other folks.

If it ain’t broke...

I think guys get into trouble when they take long shots on game without having a ton of practice. look at the box of ammo, see 22in drop at 400, and sling lead across canyon in the wind at a deer. When you’re taking relatively close range shots I don’t think 1000s of rounds are really needed to hunt deer. Helpful sure but not crucial.

I spend much more trigger time with my 17HMR than I do my deer/elk rifle. I always make sure my deer/elk rifle is sighted in but then spend the majority of shooting with the "Hummer". I spent may summer evenings thinning the groundhog population in eastern PA with rimfires and found it quite effective practice for big game. 25 to 1 shots on game with my Creedmoor but hundreds of rounds expended in prep with the rimfire!

Varminterror

Lil-Rokslider
I’m doing less shooting this year than normal, I should finish around 6,000 rifle rounds this year, down from 10-12,000 most years. I did and our spring hog hunts were a bust, so I won’t do as much big game harvest as I typically have in recent years, just 1-2 deer. So somewhere in the 3,000-6000:1 ballpark this year.

Then again, I’d prefer to hunt my revolvers this season over my rifles. I shoot to shoot. Hunting just happens to be an opportunity to apply the skill.

TheGDog

WKR
Aim Small, Miss Small.

I do my practicing on Ground Squirrels and Rabbits (w/ .17 HMR) and occasionally, Coyotes. (.223 Rem) (And sometimes with AirRifle the heads of even smaller creatures)

I figure if I can hit a Ground Squirrels shoulders at 104yds, seated, off my Kwik Stix, I'm straight. Similarly Rabbit heads at 80yds, seated, off the Kwik Stix. 60yds freehand on Rabbit front shoulders. So far farthest shot on Deer has only been 40yds. But as long as there's a rest or a tree or a rock or my pack... I could likely do 300yds no prob. And if luck shines on me this year at this one spot where I've seen 'em at 600-650yds... I'll give it a try, why not? That's what that FFP Reticle is for! And the ballistics apps in my phone.