Prairie dogs 2012

tstowater

WKR
Sighted the 6mm and .22-250 in this morning. Looks like the weather is going to be good in
South Dakota this week and need to get out of the office. Thinking of finding a new place to go so that the trip won't take most of a day to get there. It sure is fun to make them fly and great practice. Much better than sitting at a bench. Hopefully the shooting is better than last year's.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Talked to the rancher this morning. The pups are out so the shooting should be good. When I got back last year, I found out that I drew a Nevada elk so maybe I will get lucky again this year. Every application that I don't draw is one more towards the next that I do.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Nothing like a good prairie dog shoot. We (father-in-law & I) got lucky and found 2 good places to hunt and they hadn't been shot at, especially the pups. The wind was vicious and really had to allow for a lot of cross wind. Suprised on how much the bullet would climb or fall depending on which way you were shooting. Has something to do with spin of the bullet. Several times, shot one and killed the one next to it also. Haven't quite figured how that works but is pretty neat to watch. If you get a chance, you should try this at least once. We are making plans for the next trip. My 13 year old can't wait as he has been doing this for the last 3 years and couldn't go on the last trip due to needing to be in school.

bbrown

WKR
I plan on heading out this weekend and setting up a blind and using the bow. Granted I will also have my GSI 1911 .22 and .17hmr just in case. The pups are out and my father in law has 1000 acres that are almost over ran with dogs.

OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
Prairie dog trip #2 starts tomorrow. My 13 year old son is skipping a baseball game to do it. Going to be hot in South Dakota. Good trigger practice.

hunting1

WKR
We found a great town today and what a blast! My 223 took care of bussiness until the sghots reached out to 300 with the wind my buddy had to get em with the 25 WSSM. It was a blast!
100_1232.jpg

100_1234.jpg

100_1237.jpg

We took around 30 and left plenty for another go around! I am hooked!

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Here is my setup

a6e60ea9.jpg

72ec2e96.jpg

And here is what it produces at 440 yards.

be94c8a4.jpg

f653418e.jpg

We don't have the huge prairie dogs Wyoming or similar states have, they are about 1/3 the size. Some sort of hybrid I guess. It also explains the 1,000 yard shots on YouTube. I didn't think it was possible until I saw the size of those buggers in Wyoming!

Last edited:
OP
tstowater

tstowater

WKR
We ended up by Wall SD. Hot is the word. I think it was hot enough that the dogs didn't come out very well. Hard to shoot long distances in the mirage. Had a great time. Lots of funs, especially fun to watch the kid shoot.